Fitting Trigo wheels to GTD hubs

I want to put Trigo wheels on my GTD.The Trigos have a 4 1/2 and 5 inch stud pattern. The GTD hubs have a smaller stud pattern.Are there other hubs that will fit a GTD with correct stud pattern? What other solutions are there?

BC, In the UK There are several manufacturers of Pin drive adapters as well as complete hub assemblies for fitting pin drive wheels to GTD; Andy @ Tornado, Frank Catt @ Wealden Engineering and Mark Sibley to name a few. You'll have to pass on the Trigo wheels though as I do not think they will fit. That's O.K. though becasue PS Engineering does nice work. Alternatively I would presume that Trigo may be able to sell you an undrilled adapter which you could machine to suit. Brian

Brian,
If Trigo supplied me with an undrilled adapter they would also have to give me an undrilled wheel because the pins on the adapter would be a different pattern after I drilled the new pattern. As far as drilling an undrilled wheel I don't think the wheel has enough material to make the pin pattern smaller. I really like these wheels and want some way to make them fit.I'm thinking about taking hubs to a machine shop to see if they can fill the holes by welding and redrill new holes.Thanks for the input any other info would be appreciated.

BC, We looked at Trigo wheels and were not impressed, so we use PS Engineering instead. Please Please do not even consider welding/redrilling wheel bolt holes, for your own safety, Frank

BC, Frank is right, don't mess with this stuff, you'll break a wheel at some point.
If you do not already own the Trigo wheels and adapters, there are alternatives,(my opinion, I am not an engineer) PS Makes the Halibrand wheel you are looking for. If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a full set of new one piece hubs made to suit GTD uprights and the Pin drive wheels PS Engineering makes. It is a no-brainer Simple, clean, fewest parts, fewest mechanical interfaces, fewest things to worry about. Brian

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Brian ]

Trigo sent me a rear wheel and adapter to trial fit on my GTD40 but I wasn't able to do a trial fit because the stud pattern was different. Trigo said they can make a wheel and adapter with the correct stud pattern that I need. My question is do these wheels have enough backspace? The rear wheels are 9 1/2 inches wide and front are 7 1/2 both have a 3 1/2 inch backspace. I would be mounting the rear wheels with 265/50/15 tires and the front I am not sure yet.I need to make sure that the Trigo wheels with tires will fit in the fender wells without rubbing or protruding outside of the body.I don't want to spend the money to have a set of custom wheels made that will not fit.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Definitely check PS Engineering. They have GT40 Halibrand style as well as Cobra style. GT40s have one less spoke. Here is a pick of a bolt-on 17" wheel http://www.geocities.com/nealmeldrum/cobra/cobra.htm

Phil will make any diameter, width and offset you can spec. Pin drive or bolt on. Be careful with these type of wheels as they are essentially flat in the back and potentially rub large calipers. A wheel spacer or pin drive adapter would correct this.

Curious, are you looking for a 120mm x 5 pattern?

[ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: Neal ]

Neal the pattern I need is 112mm x 5 I belive.The Trigo wheels are knock off wheels with an adapter plate for wheel studs.I'm trying everything I can to get these wheels to fit because I like the looks of the Trigo more than the PS wheels.

Hi Guys,Better late than never. Bryan, you probably have a solution for this already but for other guys who may hit this let me tell you how we solved this same problem. My car has Ford Granada front hubs,112mm PCD 5 stud that I needed to change to 4.5 inch PCD 9(or 114.3mm).The difference in radius is 1.15mm. As the studs are a press fit in the hub we used a new stud with a diameter that was 2.3mm more than the original. If you now drill this (on a precision machine) over the old hole using the inside edge of this hole as the inside edge of the new hole then the new centre (PCD) will be 1.15mm further out (are you still with me??
smile.gif
). The stud can be threaded to suit the pin drive barrel as it is the press fit shoulder that is important here.This is what we have done and it works well. Frank, I agree welding up holes can be dangerous but with the right material for the studs we believe just enlarging the old hole (elliptically) will not be a safety issue.
cheers Dave

Dave the hubs had already been drilled to accept larger studs but using the existing holes. To solve my problem,I called Trigo and they drilled a blank hub and wheel to the accept the correct pattern.

Back