GT 40 replicas

G

Is there any way to get more input, on this forum about other makers other than RF and CAV(GTD). Poor old Tornado and others are not covered much. WE would need some-one with a broad knowledge on this subject. The boys in england might be able to help.

Well Malcolm

I called GTD and Mark Sibley today and told them about the GT40 Forum, so expect to hear from them soon

Chris

G

Chris Melia,
We need more competition in the states as far as the GT40 goes, thanks for your effort.

Thanks Malcolm

I understand that Mark Sibley has supplied a GT40 for the new James Bond Film.

Chris

G

Oh well there goes another perfectly good GT40... Any car in a James Bond film gets blown up, doesn't it?

Malcolm

Did anyone see what Steve McQueen did to a real GT4o in the 1970's? He actually cut the top off one for a movie he was making called "Le Mans"!!! I don't believe it was ever released
shocked.gif

Bill D
grin.gif

Additional info on that GT 40.

It is currently listed for the Barrett-Jackson Auction. Lot#686 Yellow with Black stripes.

There is also a MARKIII up for auction.
Mike

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: mikiec ]

Barrett-Jackson Auction
Mk111 for sale
Wish I had the Money
Whats price do you think it will make?

1105_34.jpg

BARRETT-JACKSON SCOTTSDALE 2002

1966 FORD GT 40 MK 1 COUPE
LOT #686 - RESERVE
2002 BJCCA CCA

A CONCOURS WINNING EXAMPLE OF ONE OF THE WORLD'S MOST SIGNIFICANT CARS AND ONE WITH UNDOUBTED PROVENANCE.

GT40P 1027 WAS COMPLETED IN JANUARY 1966, FINISHED IN BELGIAN RACING YELLOW AND SHOWN AT THE BRUSSELS AUTO SHOW IN FEBRUARY OF THAT YEAR. IN APRIL 1966 THE CAR WAS SOLD TO MGM, PAINTED WHITE WITH A BLUE STRIPE, AND USED AS THE CAMERA CAR FOR THE MOVIE "GRAND PRIX". THE CAR THEN PASSED TO THE OWNERSHIP OF CHARLES SECHAN OF PENNSYLVANIA WHO, IN 1968 SOLD IT TO JIM TOENSING OF CALIFORNIA WHO RETURNED THE CAR TO ITS ORIGINAL YELLOW AND BLACK COLOR COMBINATION.

IT WAS DISPLAYED AT THE BRIGGS CUNNINGHAM MUSEUM IN COSTA MESA CA FOR MANY YEARS UNTIL IT CLOSED. THE CAR THEN PASSED TO JIM LADWIG WHO VINTAGE RACED IT. FOLLOWING A SHUNT AT ELKHART LAKE, LADWIG COMMISSIONED A COMPLETE RESTORATION.

THE CAR IS EQUIPPED WITH HALIBRAND MAGNESIUM WHEELS, A 5-SPEED ZF GEARBOX WITH COOLER, A 302 CU.IN. ENGINE WITH 4 48IDA WEBER CARBURETORS.

IT IS DIFFICULT TO DESCRIBE IN WORDS THE ACCURACY OF THE RESTORATION WITH EVERY COMPONENT TO THE SMALLEST DETAIL REBUILT TO EXACT ORIGINAL SPECIFICATIONS USING ORIGINAL COMPONENTS AND PARTS. THE END RESULT IS ONE OF THE FINEST AND MOST CORRECT GT-40'S IN THE WORLD.

IT WAS JUDGED "BEST RACE CAR" AT THE MEADOW BROOK CONCOURS IN 1993.

rolleyes.gif

G

""...THE ACCURACY OF THE RESTORATION WITH EVERY COMPONENT TO THE SMALLEST DETAIL REBUILT TO EXACT ORIGINAL SPECIFICATIONS USING ORIGINAL COMPONENTS AND PARTS.""

except the mufflers on a race car and they didn't make the "302" until '69 <grin>

still a very nice car though

those auctions are all alike, I remember a "kruse's" I went to they were trying to sell a plane jane mustang with some bolt on parts and a fake vin tag as a "shelby"

Last year the GT40 for sale at Barrett-Jackson (#1085 I think) went as high as $375,000 and didn't met the reserve of $450,000. No race history or anything but It was the last aluminum body MKI made in 1969. At least that's what I was told. Nice car though. 302 Gurney heads all ready to go.

G

I never heard of an sluminum bodied GT40. I thought they all had fiberglass with a steel roof.

Bob,
Like I said it's just what the owner told me. You could see the spot weld marks along the back of the spider but he did say aluminum so ...

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Actually, this is the perfect place to ask this question...what do you all think is the worth of an original GT40, race car but an undistinguished history, passed through the usual several owners, which is all apart, not restored and needs a complete restoration including the usual metal work ont he tub, which is corroded etc. I understand that there are still a few around in that shape. Any ideas? I'm curious to see what the concensus is, if there is one...

Back