Tires

Hi Guys, Can anyone recommend a good primer for tires? I would like to gain an understanding of construction methods and materials, i.e, radial vs. bias, steel belts vs. fiber, and how they affect rolling resistance, weight of the carcass, sidewall flex, adhesion, etc....I know my GTD friends in the UK are using quite a mix of tires and everyone has their favorites, but want to learn more of the science aspect before I pick my rubber. Thanks, Brian

Hi Brian

You are always better off w/ steel belted radials. (If you do not want to have the original looks). Modern radials will outperform any bias construction.
Belt cable angle of radials will tell you the handling and speed charasteristics but the manufacturers of the high speed radials have always figured these out for you.

The rule of the thumb is: more modern is better in tyres. Check out D.O.T code that you get fresh ones. Rubber ages as we, too.

Jukka

You are looking for some excellent and important data, that is usually very secret!
Most information available is very general, or out of date...
And tire technology advances every year or two.
Quite often a call to a manufacturers technical area can give you good general information..however be aware that many racer's are not too good at analysis, or if they are- may not tell you their best discoveries!!

cool.gif
cool.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Look at Drive To Win, by Carroll Smith. There is a discussion of race car tires and how they behave and why, that is extremely good; thorough, understandable, and clearly written from experience. There are also, I think, some references in biblio at the end. And there are also books he wrote, tune To Win, etc which have more info about tuning a car including suspension and tire choice. This is all about racing, not for street use.
Have fun. The guy can write as well as win.

Back