Barrett-Jackson Auction

G

For those unfortunate not to get Speedvision,
they actioned two GT40's yesterday.

The yellow MK I used in the filming of Grand Prix sold for $ 375k, and GT MK III # 1105
was bid to $ 310k...but no sale.

This isn't much of a change from the dollars
BJ got for GT40's over the last two years.

The big jump was in US musclecars and hi-end
street rods. Corvettes selling for over $200k
rods selling for $ 50-100k (or more)!
Maybe Sept 11 has something to do with this?

Saleen auctioned off it's prototype S-7
street car (chassis # 1) for $ 400k.
That's not much more than the $ 375k
they want for production cars.
Time will tell whether it was a smart buy.

MikeD

I was a bit disappointed at the GT40 showings at BJ this year. They didn't even open the rear on the MkI so you could see the engine. In contrast, they really showed off the the MkI they sold last year that belonged to Emerson Fittapaldi's brother (at one time). Not sure of it's chassis # but it had no race history. It had a 302 with Gurney/Westlake heads, Webers, etc. RHD with no passenger seat. Didn't meet reserve on the floor but sold "out back" for something like $425K.

It's always interesting to watch the bidders. Some show a lot of emotion when they win, others show none. Amazes me to watch someone drop $400K plus buyers premium for a car and not even crack a smile. The guy and his sons(?) that all hi-fived each other when they bought the street rod for $70K get my vote for looking like they'll enjoy what they bought.

As usual, Speedvision (Speed Channel)did a great job. Now, if only they could cut down on the commercials a bit......

Dave

Back