Most % out of donor car

We have funny registration/car taxes in my country of staying (Finland).
The primary issue is the taxation: less than 50% from a donor car needs 120%car taxes (added to new price) added plus all the funny E-safety tests if the car is less than 25 yrs old.) etc. for the cost of Zillion...
We have some Cobras made using Ford Taunus (D/GB)as a donor, and maintaining 50%rule even though using spaceframe. Would anyone know which car could be utilized 50% for building of GT40? Audi V8 maybe? If tranaxle, drivetrain, some of the suspension and some small parts are salvaged, the 50% rule is okayed.

Jukka

Does 50% of the donor have to be one type of car (i.e. - Audi, Porsche, etc.)?

Most of the GT40's use special made components. The only parts that I'm aware of coming from a donor are the engine (Ford Mustang, Rover), and the transaxle (Audi, Renault, or Porsche). Everything else is pretty much unique.

Some use brakes from a Corvette. Others from a Ford Granada Mk II or Scorpio (European Ford I believe).

The UK guys have been building them for years. Maybe they can lend more information.

Bill D

Thanks, Bill

Indeed, all parts need to come from very same car, what makes constructing a gt40 much more difficult than for example Cobra.
Will keep searching, caddy and toro are not much for a help due to horizontal setup of engine,if axles+drivetrain can be used, rest could be maybe done by being creative.

Jukka

Hi Jukka, If you were to find a Renault 25 v6 turbo, You could use the Engine,Gearbox, Driveshafts, brakes, servo, pedals, Air con (if Fitted)Wheels and tyres (then change later) This engine is a 2.5 v6 turbo Top speed in the Renault was 145mph. I have a Williams version 155 mph. This car is very suitable as you can use many parts. My space frame chassis will take this unit as it will go straight in. Because its a turbo, and the GT40 is lighter than the Renault, The power to weight ratio is far better. As most GTD and my chassis are configured for the Renault transmission anyway, The rest is fairly easy to fit. And the Engine is ally, saving 80 kilo's over a small block ford. There are some English cars running V6 renault, but not many Turbo's. I'm Putting a turbo V6 in a Mk3 GT40 road open top in April as a summer car. Should be fun. And you can upgrade boost valves, Chipped managements etc. Cheap donor cars also. If you can't find one, I have some. You can build it with the Renault now, then upgrade easily to a V8 later. Same transmission, Just adaptor plate, clutch and flywheel and exhaust! Problem Solved! Any other info, E-mail me or put on site. All the best
Mark

Back