Tires (Tyres)

Has anybody got some advice on tyres that give very good grip on hillclimbs and racetracks, that also have enough tread to actually clear water?
I was thinking of the Yokohama AO32R, Michelin MXX3, etc

cool.gif

Robert,

I'll start with the disclaimer that my GT40 is not road-going yet, so all my testing has been performed on other cars, mostly on a Triumph TR6 and a Triumph TR7 V8.

I went through the same processes about 2 years ago. The short list included the Yokohama 032R, and the equivalent Falkens and Dunlops. All seemed to be "there abouts" in the dry and all very compitent. For no other reason other than value-for-money, I went for the 032Rs. They proved to be very competitive in sprints, qualifying and hillclimbs because they could get the heat up very quickly.

I had the opportuninty to run them at Winton on a day when a heavy rain just wouldn't let up. My conclusion was that they were far superior to my team-mates tyers since I was consistently lapping about 2 sec quicker (similar cars). I also found myself outbreaking some far more highly developed race cars (Porches) in the wet WOO HOO!!!

The advice I got from Traction Tyers in Rowville Melbourne (Yokohama competion tyre outlet), was that they would not be suitable in "monsoon" rain conditions. Ahhh... Yeahh... but other than that they are far superior to any "normal" road tyre. I agree.

Back