CAV Monocoque vs spac frame

Do you thingk think the CAV monocoque is superior to the orig space frame? Is it worth the the difference (greater) price? Will it have a greater resale value? Will it make the orig space frame cars worth more or less? Is their mnocoque more prone to rust than the space frame. A NEWBIE wants to know!

Original GT 40 had a monocoque. You mean that "original replica" that had a spaceframe?

In my opinion they both have their pros and cons, but I would pay more for a one w/ monocoque!

Jukka

Yes, I was referring t the "original CAV replica". Thanks for your response. About $10,000 difference.

G

The new cav is a stainless steel monocoque, so there will be no rust. It should be a plus for resale, having the stainless monocoque and been a factory car. From what I have heard the finish is terrific. Theres a lot of talk about the price, I think it is about 63,000 dollars. All you need is the engine and the car comes with a reconditioned gear box. This car also has a factory warrenty and I believe it has the best price when you figure the math. No paint,customs and shipping to worry about, its all in the price. Its my opinion if you want a car thats assembled, its the way to go at the present time. Cav has dealers coast to coast and it is best for accurate details to call the dealer. I dont push any one car and I like to keep an open mind. If you want to build one there are a number of good kits on the market. I hope to buy a fully assembled GT40, less engine later in the year, and will do all the math.

Malcomb_ I talked to Jim Harrell (Rock Hill, SC) a cav dealer and he quoted a base car starting at $67K, $70K with air and an extra $1K fr leather plus engine. He aid that the mon. cars are $10,000 mre tha the space frame models. He said they were powder coated steel. I toothought that they were $63 base and stainless. That had been posted before. Jim was leaving for a race at Daytona but I'll call him when he gets bac. Al clarification on these matters would helpful. I'll email the factory.

G

Chip,
I just pulled out my file that I received from H.R.E. motorcars, and the specifications clearly states that it is stainless steel 304.
The price with AC, new audi trans and leather is 70,000 dollars, however if they want to sell a car they should have some room for a better price. I think you better call Bob Lacey 858-3423246.

Hi Malcolm

The white car from the FAV site is a KVA with C type chassis owned by Robin Sundtof the UK.
Notice no photo of the CAV Monocouqe.!
I wonder why would you pay $70,000 for it when you could get an ERA for less?

Chris
FAV_Wht_1.jpg

G

Chris,
I believe the ERA costs a lot more than the CAV car if assembled, and you have to wait two to three years. When it comes time for me to buy, I will go shopping. Malcolm is a Scotch name, and that has made me tight when it comes to the money. Value and quality is what I want, cant blame a Lad for that can you?

G

There's an almost new, pro assembled, ERA in the AutoWeek classifieds (Jan 28 edition), with 300 miles on it, 351W, for $95K obo.

Happy Hunting,

TT

(The way prices are going, an '01 Z06 with a chip and Halltech intake is looking better and better.)

G

Tom T

The Vette is a great car, and great value. ERA sells only a few cars and dont seem to care if they sell any. When the GT40 gets too high, it will kill the demand. People will regain their insanity, and buy the Vette. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO JUMP ON ME AND SAY THE VETTE IS A VETTE AND A GT40 IS A GT40. SO.

G

Roy Smart,
I like your choice of the renault gear box, Im sure you will in time get it to shift to your satisfaction.
Would you by any chance know if the Aldingtons are still in the automotive bussiness ?. They made the frazer-nash and had a porsche agency. Nicholas Aldington lived with us in San Francisco and I have not been able to locate him. There are so many Aldingtons in the London area.

Back