Police Experiences

Given the nature of the beast, does anybody

have any tales of "friction" with the law?

Just curious about speeding tickets and the

reaction of the offending officer to a GT40

on the street.

Bill

My experience is that even Police is tumbing up when I am passing by.I hope this will remain....
A lot of enthousiasm when people look at the car....
Enjoy!
Fred

I had lots of police experiences, cause
are one.
grin.gif

I used to stop just about every street rod and unusual car that I saw. The owners
were nervous at first until I told them
I was interested in the car. Sometimes I would spend an hour talking to the owner. I made some friends that way too.
I caught a few doing no no's and mostly gave them a brake and asked them to please be a little more discrete about where they decide to show off. They usually feel good about dodging the bullet and seem to respect my request.
I also used to get a few requests from our club members to help with a traffic violation. If I could I did providing the infraction was not outragous.
There were a few who would run from me when I tried to stop them. These guys are the ones that never learn. It's always better to stop and take the heat than to run and take a big chance of being charge with more serious offenses.

Hersh
smile.gif

Well, this is not my experience, but one
from Kit Car Illustrated a couple of years
ago. Rick Merz owned a GTD40 with a 351 and
Porsche G50/50 trans. He would commute to
work every so often. According to him, one
morning at around 4AM, he was sitting at
an intersection, contemplating that he could
probably hit 50mph by the time got through
at a light change. Well, he decided to test
his theory, and sure enough, he was right.
He eased up to 45. Unfotunately for him,
there was a black&white sitting behind him
at the intersection. The officer pulled him
over, abd said something ot the effect of:
When I saw that thing take off, I was
expecting it to sprout wings and take off!
After a conversation about the car with Rick,
the officer let him go, saying (again, in
paraphrase) - I'm sure you've got a lot of
time and money in that car, just watch your
takeoffs in the future.

I'll hunt up the print date of that issue if
anyone is interested.

Ian

G

Err.. Yeah... I got stopped by the Police after only 4 hours of having registered the car for use. Therefore this was on my first ever outing in the car. Of course out of nowhere people I knew saw me.... But no ticket.
Malcolm

About 6 years ago when running my forty down the 2 mile straight at bruntingthorpe proving grounds. My friend Jim a police man at the time, used a hand held radar gun to check my speed. however at over 130 mph it would not register the car, it appeared that the car have gone in to stealth mode
Regards Dick
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Here in Queensland Australia - Our police officers take themselves and their job far too seriously. I drive my car into work quite often, always under the speed limit (I save my racing for the track) however when going through the gears at lights - it always sounds louder than other cars -and I have been pulled over twice (once while cars streamed past me obviously well over the limit) The police officers seem to take great delight in pulling over a red,low sports car - even though I have done nothing wrong-and when queried about why - the standard answer is (It sounded faster than the other cars!)

They constantly follow you on the motorway about 100m back expecting you to speed- and I think they get frustrated when you dont. This is all while redneck Holden drivers pull up beside you wanting a drag - and speed off well over the limit.

My only ticket was for having my number plate not exactly vertical (when racing I lie the plate down flat for air flow) it was almost 90 deg. vertical (about 85 deg.!) but the police officer was frustrated when he couldnt find anything else wrong with the car.

Cant wait to visit the Northern Territories as they have no speed limit on the highways,,and dead straight roads.

At least I didnt get pulled up when I went under the toll gate on the gateway bridge, after I paid the toll, and the boom didnt go up - reckon I had at least 2 inches to spare (But they have cameras mounted there now - bugger!)

Back