Monocoque

G

Further to the recent discussions on monocoques, herewith a few pictures of the monocoque I constructed two years ago to Ray Christopher's design. The car is unfinished as I find the lightweight space-frame is still competetive and I am waiting to see how Ray's monocoque performs, now that he has got the geometry sorted out. The monocoque is designed to take the aluminium engine (348) currently in my spaceframe and the total finished weight should come out substantially less than 1000Kg.

Roymono1.JPG

Roymono2.JPG

Roymono3.JPG

Roymono4.JPG

Roymono5.JPG

Roymono6.JPG

Roymono7.JPG

regards

Roy Smart
(GTD-40 - Alloy 348)
smile.gif

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: RoySmart ]

G

It sure looks like you know what you are doing. Would this monocoque be at all like the CAV ?

G

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by malcolm king:
It sure looks like you know what you are doing. Would this monocoque be at all like the CAV ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Malcolm,
CAV are being very cagey about their monococque but as mine was designed by Ray Christopher and CAV have been manufacturing a monococque on behalf of Ray Christopher for sale in the US, the implication is there.

regards

Roy Smart

ps - re the transmission:
The unit will be a Renault 21 Turbo gearbox with Quaife internals and Quaife LSD. All we have to do now, is to get it to change gear 'sweetly' which at the moment is a problem. Any ideas?

Roy

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: RoySmart ]

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: RoySmart ]

Hi Fella's, Roy And most of the Uk Guys that like serious competition, have been using the Renault gearbox. They all have improvesd performance of their engines in a bid to outdo each other! i hope they don't mind me saying that. The benefit of this is they have upgraded, developed and tested the transmissions. This will have an effect on what others buy or expect from a kit. The Renault gearbox is underestimated. People have gone ZF for power input, The truth is you can put more into a box like roy has, with the Quaife parts in. It will accept more newton metres of input. Roy, Linear bearings on the Rod change for float, and pull, better transfer design at the stick. I will send you some info of our chassis design ok. All the best
Mark

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Roy:
What a beautiful piece of work. How much lighter than a steel tub/monocoque is it? There is some discussion in Hodge's book about the alloy Safir chassis not quite retaining their shape under the stress of competition, I think. Have you modified the design with that in mind?
Really, that is almost too pretty to run. Maybe you should just put carpet under it, and a velvet rope around it, and charge admission to see it...(just kidding)
grin.gif

The CAV Monocoque has no conection with Ray Christopher whatsoever. The CAV monocoque has been designed from the ground up by Owen Ashley of CAV.

If anyone is interested we have a Ray Christopher monocoque for sale at COST PRICE including suspension arms, ball joints and roll cage. For more information phone us at.

tel - 0044 (0)01675 465888

email - [email protected]

This is the Brian Pepper chassis, it is under constuction by Pual Fleming for a customer. It will have original patern body engine trans upright's wheels and interior.

fdf83f16.jpg

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Hi Paul and Martin

Can you see the RML and Brian pepper chassis pictures now?

Do you have any good photo hosting sites other than Imagestation and KodaK ?
Chris

Is that an aluminum chassis? If so have you altered it from the original steel design?

Doug

Back