Tranny Tell Alls

OK, we have ZFs, Getrags (Audi), Renault, etc. Lots of you have a ton of experience, both good and bad. What, in your opinion works, and what would you do if you had to do it (pick a transaxle) again?

Thanks everyone, this can really help us GT40 new guys.

G

Got my ZF/2 already. NOS unit $7000.00 these puppies are getting scarce and very expensive. ERA GT40 on order i have no choice only unit they support.

LLoyd

G

Unlimited funds - Quaife 6 speed (either
one: sequential or H gate)or Hewland
Nearly unlimited funds - RBT 6 Speed
G50-50 { both made by ZF
G50 { but newer than 5DS25s
ZF5DS25-1
ZF5DS25-2 lower torque but better synchros
Audi more torque, more available
Renault

Just my humble opinion; I rate ruggedness and driveability over price.

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
The DRB that I am building is designed to use the Porsche G50. The drive shaft angles are a bit sharper than perfect, but we have one running around with 400hp & +30,000km's (no probs so far). Besides, Porsches are common & one of the last things to hit the wall is the gearbox when the wankers get over-enthusiastic !!

G

Note!

Adapter/clutch/driveshaft pieces are expensive, and sometimes impossible to buy
seperately. If the kit you want does not support the trans you want to use, be prepared for potential re-engineering and major expense.

MikeD

Quaife 6-speed as a unit is cheaper than RBT 6-speed and better. RBT is the same thing as ZF with an extra gear, so I don't know why would people bother. Quaife is the best thing IMO. $12K without adapters and shift linkage (+1K for sequential), but they'll help you with that. Hell, if you really want to be weird, you can have 4WD with that. Hewland's boxes are straight cut, so it's going to whine. Again, if you want to be weird, they have a transverse box, kind of like F1. The only possibly reason you should bother with ZF is if you don't have a choice or want to be correct. Porsche G5* 5 speeds are awesome units: there's tons of ratios to choose from and they are pretty strong. Audi is an awesome unit simply because you can pull it from a yard for $75-100.

IMO, these are the best boxes you can use:
Quaife -- expect to spend $14-15K -- 750HP+
Porsche - expect to spend $5K max -- 500HP
Audi - expect to spend 200$ and 2 weeks with a hack saw making an adapter
grin.gif
-- after you exceed 350 lbft torque they'll break often enough for you to move on to Porsche

I have found an Audi 5 speed from an '86 5000 CS five cylinder turbo gasoline car at the local wrecking yard for $100 plus $50 to take it out. I haven't checked for the 016 casting number or the ratios yet but I think I will get it if it turns out to be an 016 due to the favorable comments posted here about the Audi i.e. same rugged internals as Porsche, etc. I will have to see about flipping it, linkage, an adaptor, and clutch. I may have to make the adaptor as I don't think any are available in the aftermaket.

I am planning to bolt it up to a 427 CID FE w/single Holley and mild street tune, if you know what I mean.

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: BlueOvalBlood ]
grin.gif
grin.gif

No decision on the chassis yet but the only one I know of so far which is set up by the manufacturer to accomodate the FE engine is the ERA MKII.
Regards,
Blue

G

If you use a G50 Porsche make sure it's an "89 or earlier. Tilton makes a starter for the earlier years but not the "90 and later, and the stock porsche starter won't turn a hi-po small block.

Tilton is developing a starter to fit a racing porsche that is supposed to fit the '90 and later G50 but it's still up in the air.

Patrick motorsports in AZ does do a mod to the '90 and later trans to fit another starter but it is expensive and extensive.

Paid 3,500.00 for my adj. locker G50, good to 500 hp

Just back from the wrecking yard where I have located an '86 Audi 5000 SD (5 cylinder gasoline turbo). The ratio codes on the top of the bellhousing are "AFC", which does not show up in any of the posts. I can't see the side cover plate and so don't know whether it is an 016. Can anyone tell me what it is and if it is suitable for a GT40 conversion. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Regards,
Blue

G

About Audi 01E.
Look at this site, it's some interesting fact. like - First Gear Failure in S6, different Ratios, etc.
/Poul
Audi 01E Quattro

G

Mike , got my G50 at Paul Weir's in Seattle www.paulweir.com

Lynn, yes KEP is less expensive but just like Tilton they don't build a starter for the '90 and later G50.

G

Neal

I haven't found anyone who offers Audi/SBF
adapters without buying the whole kit.
Maybe CAV will if someone begs and pleads?
Were you planning to use an Audi in your
Phil Ware kit? Maybe Phil can help?

If not how about we gang up on KEP.
I've already asked once.
If enough of us bug him maybe he'll do it.

MikeD

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I'm undecided. I was planning on a G50 w/ LSD. The Kennedy G50 package w/clutch runs about US$1200. Phil only deals with Renault adapters but is building a car with a Porsche 915 box.

The Audi box is so inexpensive that I could afford to break a few... I'm going to ping Kennedy. If there is sufficient interest they may budge. I've not heard from Roaring Forties or CAV. Surely someone will disclose their source or take my money... Time to get out the file and drill!
rolleyes.gif

The audi box in Ray Christoper's GT40 spider.
Ray might be the man to talk to for the adapter(ex MD of GTD)

fdf5dc3f.jpg

Back