NEW CAV MONOCOQUE VS OLDER ERA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new CAV will have the option of stainless mono. or space frame according to the most recent pamphlet I have received.

Regards,

Clay
cool.gif

I have learned that CAV has quit building the steel space frame and all cars will be stainless monocoques. The first ones are just arriving. ERA went to stainless in 1996 according to Bob Putnam. The CAV seems sate of the art vs $$ for now.

Perhaps this is the case that CAV is now only offering mono and not the space frame as well....if so this is a shame because I am sure that there are quite a few people that would be willing to save 10k in the name of economy over tradition....but still the mono price isnt bad compared to its competition.

Chip, I have attmepted to send you an e-mail regarding the video tape of Dan Hamptons GTD, but the e-mail was returned...so I will just notify you here that I had it sent to you today and you should see it in two business days. Its an excellent example in the Essex Wire colors.

Regards,

Clay Wagner

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: GT-40 Freak ]

G

I believe, (correct me if I'm wrong) that the earlier ERA's were mild steel and then at some point they went to stainless.

I don't know anything about the CAV and there's not much on the web site yet.

stainless would be prefered and better for resale but more expensive

G

When it comes to the CAV40, pretend it does not exist, hush-hush-hush.

G

Ron,
Now that I have flushed you out. Tell me how long you have known this is a good car?.
Lets not be keeping any secrets.

Ron Earp

Admin
I still think I must have missed something somewhere.

Anyhow, I've probably known about CAV cars before most any other folks on the forum. When doing research on GT40s in 2000, Bob Lawerence and I were able to determine through lots of phone calls that GTD were going to offer turnkey minus cars into the states through a then unknown entity.

However, I didn't get to see the cars until the 2001 Knotts show and pricing and availiability were determined shortly after. They seem to be reasonable cars and the guy I met at Knott's about the cars was a nice fellow.

The only person in espace that I know that has one is Wayne Presley, but he hasn't really given us a full report on the forum yet. Last we heard he was happy though and liked the car.

R

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

G

F Catt
What are the problems with the monocoque? How long have you known about these problems? Please come and not be holding out on us, with information that you may have on monocoque construction. I want to know more about where you got your information.

Hey Malcolm, take a chill pill. You are coming across like a White House special procescuter I have been very happy with my CAV SF so far. It rides very well, handles like a dream with little body roll, looks great and the customer support is great. The car has performed well and will be going to the dyno on Tuesday. I talked with CAV even before the Knott's show and they never mentioned the monocoque until very recently. The first CAV monocoque is at SAAC show in Vegas right now. It was air freighted in last Tuesday and Bob Lacey worked on it putting the motor and getting it running on Thursday before loading it up for Vegas. I would still prefer the space framed cars myself as the totally authentic reproduction of any car comes a distant fourth to performance, comfort and reliability.

Ron Earp

Admin
Wayne, was Bob at Knott's? If so, then I think that is the fellow I spoke with, nice guy. When are you going to give us the complete ride/dyno report, I'm very interested as my motor is basically the same except for the compression is slightly higher, but not by much. How is interior noise at cruise? Hope all is well,

ron

G

Wayne,
Just asking questions from the experts, I dont claim to be an expert, however we all
know that there can be a lot spin out there.
I do know they have been building monocoque planes, cars(xke), boats and formula one cars for a long time now. I have never heard of any trouble with monocoque costruction. Thats why I want to know where these stories come from, just the facts please. I would be happy with either one and always liked the cooper monaco space frame car.
Cav has built this monocoque car and I am sure other makers of GT40s will build monocoque cars. This CAV company must have done some research to switch over to the monocoque, this is not an easy change.
Bob of ERA would be a man who,s opinion I would value, lets hear from Bob. Bob Lacey where are you, lets have your opinion.

Malcolm, re-read my post and you will see that Bob Lacey is at SAAC in Las Vegas right now and can not reply.

G

Wayne,

Is it true that CAV won't be doing space frame cars at all now?

Tom

Tom- CAV is making no more space frames. There is only one new un sold one in the country at this time. The first mono. arrived for the SAAC meet in Las Vegas this weekend. We should be getting the firsr one in Atlanta at the end of Feb: being shipped in direct fm South africa to Atlanta. I want to go see it when it aerrives and ride in it after it is assembled. Itis schedled for the show circuit here starting with Amelia Island in March (our Pebble Beach). I am seriously consdering that car. I am in the looking/research stage at this time. Chip in Atlanta

All you Engineers out there, are you really sure that a stainless steel monocoque is the way to go? I have very real reservations about it! Yes,stainless may not rust(depending on the quality of the steel), but it does have a lot of other very real problems that would prevent me from wanting to build/own one. Frank

No more space frame CAVs according to to Bob Lacey in a telephone conversation with him on 1/28/02. Chip

G

Wayne,I know Lacey is in Las Vegas, but he wont be there forever, we will wait for him.
Now here,s something to think about, years ago they did away with frames on car,s and now they are all unitized construction, or in other words monocoque. In my opinion cars today are lighter, and better than ever.
I read an article in the newspaper, that GM was going to change some of there trucks over to unitized units, because they would be stiffer and lighter.
To all you experts out there, you should go to the google search and read up on monocoque construction. Then come back and lets hear what you have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back