Front and rear spindles/uprights/brakes

Hello again,
Beginner here.

Most of the kits I’m looking at come with Ford Granada front spindles and I’m assuming that this is not the same tank of a US Granada of the late 70’s and early 80’s. Instead of getting the overseas Granada spindles and having to retrofit or custom build a high performance disc brake setup, I am looking for spindles from off the shelf US applications that will allow me to use Wilwood brake components. If no off the shelf applications work I can go custom NASCAR (circle track) spindles.

Could I please ask a few of you to measure the dimensions of the spindles? I need height from the top of upper mounting point to the bottom of the lower mounting point. That is the most critical I think but feel free to throw any other measurements in that you would feel is necessary.

As far as the rear is concerned what has everyone else done? I gather from what I've read the rear uprights are all custom. Anyone have a pic of the rear upright with the rotor removed? I guess I will have to fab a rear bracket for Wilwood calipers.

Thank you for your time,
Shane Lowrance

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
You can use late model Ford Thunderbird IRS rear uprights ,they are aluminum too.I have these and have custom made lower control arms, fully heim jointed for performance and adjustability.

The UK Granada is the Merkur Scorpio in the USA. Another source you could consider is a
Merkur XR4Ti, in the UK that was a Sierra. I'd suggest you try the T'Bird option that Fran suggests however. The parts are much heavier duty - especially the T'Bird Supercoupe. These came with rear disk brakes.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Shane,

If you are still at the stage of researching which kit to buy, have a look at the 2 Australian ones :

- Roaring Forties : all custom built (& supplied) suspension bits (incl uprights), late model Corvette brakes.
http://www.roaringforties.com.au/

- DRB : uses full '87 Corvette front suspension arms/uprights/brakes & custom DRB rear uprights + '87 Corvette rear brakes.
http://www.gt40australia.com/

Good Luck !

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I am pretty sure that the Granada spindles used are from the last generation Euro Granada-the Scorpio/Granada versions are MacPhearson strut cars as is the Merkur XR4Ti, I know, I drive one (no chuckles guys!).
Keep in mind when you start changing distances of balljoint to balljoint and steering arm to spindle distance you are seriously changing the design geometery, not to mention spindle length. Something to watch out for if you are not conversant in suspension design.

Rick

Back