Kit Import Costs

G

In the Consumer Watch section, Bill Bayard
provided an explanation of the costs he encountered in importing his DRB from Australia. The costs are substantial to say the least!

If you read the thread, the import fees alone can be as high as 6.5% of the value.
By comparison, the broker's fee is puny!
Few kit websites discuss these since most
of their sales are in country.

Gordon

If you are "importing" the RF cars, does that
mean the RF US prices on the website include the import fees? Or are they extra costs borne by the buyer? Thx.

MikeD

Mike,
I have imported an RF kit and the price on the RF site does not include shipping. Robert arranges everything through Gibson Frieght (who does a really nice job at keeping you posted etc.) Then use John Clark International or ask the guys at Gibson for another contact, I believe his name is Steve _____ and also very helpful. The costs maybe high but speaking as an owner of an RF it's well worth the money. The RF is a great car with outstanding service and advice, you won't find better and again definatly worth the shipping costs.
Just another satisfied customer!
grin.gif

G

Thanks John.

I think most people understand that prices
quoted usually do not include shipping.
But I'll bet most people are clueless as to the "hidden" costs of importing a car.

Clearly they can be substantial and need
to be taken into consideration during the
budgeting process. And if I read Bill's
message correctly, there are also
"opportunities" to reduce those costs
if someone does their homework.

My thanks to all those who share their
hard earned knowledge freely with others.

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
I didn't pay anywhere as near as much to get my RF into the country. Just be careful in how you fill out the forms, the amounts you put on them, and you'll be okay. There are lots of opportunities to reduce your cost if you take care.

Ron

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Mike,

If you want to fudge the value amount, yes, you can make it considerably cheaper.
We've all probably done that transferring titles on cars purchased over the years.
I was not willing to take that risk and have my car tied up by customs for God knows
how long, and perhaps end up in court.
The extra money involved buys peace of mind.
The cost basis may be less for a kit, as that may be considered parts, whereas I am importing a chassis.
Bill

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

G

I have imported two kits into the US and used Clarke International both times. If you use Clarke there is no chance of your kit getting tied up in Customs. I first met John Clarke when he was importing Cobra's from New Zealand. His specialty is kit cars, classic cars, and any other sort of car. I never actually filled out any paper work. John handles this with the kit car company. For what John goes through and what he charges, it is the best bargain you will ever get. One of the best ways to save money is avoid using any US trucking. Ship it by boat or air to the closest airport or port near you and then go pick it up yourself.

To get my Roaring Forties kit to Dallas we paid air frieght to DFW. The kit flew to Los Angeles where it arrived before it left Australia (cool time change thing). John cleared the kit through Customs in L.A. quick enough for it to make its connection to Dallas/Fort Worth International airport, which was actually by truck but was considered a flight by United Airlines. The kit had what looked like an airline ticket from Melbourne to Dallas. And yes there are ways to pay much more but I decided against it.

Ron Earp

Admin
I second Bob, he is a good source and use him. I did and came out about $4000 total, door to door, freight, customs and all fees.

Ron

Back