ZF DS25/2 Bellhousing's

ZF DS25/2 Bellhousing\'s

Hi All

I am having the original GT40 bellhousing (small clutch) recast to take the ZF DS 25/2 Trans that has a 7 bolt fitting.
If you want one, let me know so that I can get the required number made. The expected cost with all machine work done will be £350
$500.

8754198-30d0-02000156-.jpg

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Re: ZF DS25/2 Bellhousing\'s

In addition to the original bellhousing Ray Mallok RML are about to cast some of their bellhousing's that are for the gt40 replica space frame chassis.
(Different bottom mounting position points.) Also I think that the RML bellhousing will take the full size flywheel and clutch.
fe11ec2b.jpg

If you need a Bellhousing for a ZF DS25/2 then e-mail me.

bellhousing:

your pics display an early gt40 housing in cast form and a latter gt40 housing (7 bolt hole) in fully machined form. my question relates to distance between rear mount holes (eng/bellhousing)and distance of these two holes to crankshaft centerline.

it was my understanding the rear motor mounts were located futher back - within 20-30 mm from the rear chassis bulkhead support -also, does your bellhousing have provision for the upper and lower inspection plates? bill

Hi Bill

The original bellhousing is at the machine shop so can not give dimensions at the moment but can confirm that it has provision for two inspection plates. See GT40 parts book for diagram.
The 7 bolt bellhousing is from RML Ray Mallok Ltd and is designed for a replica space frame chassis.

Chris

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Chris: Will the early-style bellhousing mate to a ZF 5DS25-2, the BMW M1 transaxle? This is the transaxle that I have. I think it has seven bolts or boltholes that hold it onto the bellhousing. I want to use the small original style bellhousing as there isn't room for a large single-plate clutch. Will the small bellhousing you are getting cast work for that application?

Hi Jim

Spoke to David Brown and can confirm that the re-cast version will fit the seven bolt DS25/2. David said that he would machine the casting.

Chris.

Jim, I used the small bellhousing to mate Robins 25-2 BMW M1 gearbox to 302, using a single AP 9.5" Clutch. Not much room for a clutch thrust bearing to fit, but I found one and made a special thrust adaptor to allow it to push against the gearbox. It all works OK! fRANK

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Thank yous both to Chris and Frank, this is the sort of thing that the Forum saves incredible time and effort on. I appreciate it a great deal.

Hello, !
The lip on the gearbox wich meets the bellhousing is also different in diameter between the older and the newer ZF style´s.
And the axles are of different lenghts.
There are even different lenghts on the ingoing axle amongst each other on the -2 version boxes etc...
Not to mention the -2 M1 box wich is quit different from the more normal "Pantera" box.

Hi All

The RML bellhousing shown above is priced at £475+vat and is complete and machined for that price. This bellhousing is for the replica space frame GT40 with ZFDS25/2 to Ford trans engine combo.
Please e-mail Trevor Keir to order [email protected]
Tel No +44 (0)1933402440

Hello, !

Later cars did get the bellhousing upper inspection hole´s "filled" to prevent cracks etc... that had started to shown while racing the ZF..
Only earlier cars did get the two holes..
That´s the info i´ve been told.

Regards...

Back