WHAT WOULD RECOMMEND ROR A STREET 302?

i have a friend that runs 425hp in his daily driver, so don't feel that you can have too much for the street

Ron Earp

Admin
But how much does it weigh? That is the key.

Road 40s are going to be in the 2200-2400 lbs range I'd imagine.

R

G

There are two ford crate motors,
302 320hp part# m6007-B50 cost $3095.00
303 349hp part# m6007xB3 cost $3095.00
All you need is intake and carb a holley 600cfm.
If you get too radical for street use, you will have poor vacuum and a poor idle not to mention the embarassment at traffic lights.
Theabove engines can be purchased from a ford dealer. When I called Downs ford they said they would pay the freight to Virginia.this is their phone number 732-3492240.

Ron Earp

Admin
I'd be careful with these. Lots of kits cannot use the front covers that come on the Ford crate motors, and alomst all cannot use the oil pan. They also have to be re-balanced for the GT40 flywheels. Plus, they use cast internals and are not that strong.

For less than $600-700 more you can get one made by an engine shop with forged internals that includes the balancing for the GT40 kit flywheels. This would be stock 302 displacement and would probably have better heads than the ford aluminum jobs. For a little more than $4k total you can have a forged stroker.

You'd be much better off with a forged motor from a good engine shop than the crate Ford motors.

Ron

G

Ron,
You say the pan and timing cover needs to be replaced on the crate motor. What are the part numbers for the pan and timing cover ?. Does the whole engine need to be balanced or is it just the flywheel ?. I thought the V6 flywheel was used in some cases. One other question I thought the 302 was externally balanced.

G

Just talked to Bob Lacy at CAV gt40, he told me the ford crate motor fits the space frame car and monocoque. You dont have to change any thing and they give you the flywheel and they have the pulleys for the serpentine belt. It looks like CAV has none of the problems with these motors. Also the crate motor would suits me, I have never been hard on equipment.

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't think other makes have "problems" with the motors. RF, DRB, and Tornado use Ford crates as well. Just different designs.

It is just that from a performance standpoint you'd want a good road race pan with baffles to prevent oil starvation high high g loads - thus off with the Ford part. On some of the cars the Ford pan sticks down a bit too far.

If you have to use v-belt on the front dress, which some makes do, then the cover might not work for you. RF and CAV both have serpentine or v-belt thus can accomidate either.

For me the point is if the car is going to be a $60,000+ GT40 replica, then put a a strong motor with Ford forged internals that can live along life - either hard or soft. The Ford motors just don't seem to be such a good bargin.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't know the part numbers for the front cover and pan on the Ford units, I just know they don't fit with most 40s. The oil pan is typically too deep to fit into the chassis without sticking out of the bottom of the car.

Most 40 manufacturers use a v-belt setup, the front cover for the crate motors is a late model Explorer unit for a reverse rotation serpentine water pump. There are lots of differences in covers with waterpump mounting and cover depth. I've been through this mess already. RF does have both drives available, v-belt and serpentine so they can use either one.

Yes, you do not have to disassemble the bottom end - just balance the flywheel to a 50oz or 28oz balancer depending on what you choose. Easily done at an engine shop.

G

I believe all the Ford crate motors come with
a rear sump pan, which in most cases has to be changed to a front sump. Not a big deal.
I just bought a Milodon (gold anodized)from
Jegs for $ 99 plus $ 15 for the pickup.
Looks neat and comes baffled also.

The front cover may or may not have to be changed depending upon the kit. Ford sells
the "street rod" standard rotation pump
for around $ 100 that's maybe an 1" shorter.
Otherwise the 94-95 Mustang cover and water pump will set you back $ 200 (plus pulleys).
That's around 2" shorter than 1983-1993 Stang

Regarding engine balance, it is always desirable to have your rotating assembly balanced with your flywheel. But not mandatory so long as the flywheel has the correct unbalance for the engine you are using. If in doubt, a machine shop should
be able to spin check the flywheel, and make
corrections (up to a point).

MikeD

Back