GT-40 is hot and all but..................

You know I am a huge fan of the GT-40, and I am actively persuing the research needed to make an informed and educated decision in buying my next toy.....so I thought I would share this with you.

Has anyone here seen this companies rendition of the McLaren F1? Another LeMans sweeper, a bit more modern in its design and appearance....and a much bigger bang for the buck......considering at 56K, you get a 2001 LT6 Corvette engine with a ram air system @ 500hp, custom leather upolstery, DVD player, GPS, engine management, sound sound, LoJack...etc

Hot car....hard to refuse if in the market for such a beast. Not to distract from the GT-40's cause they are amazing machines as well, just thought I would share with this group my findings and research in this area.

gallery01large.jpg

gallery04large.jpg

Kinda fine you have to admit.
cool.gif

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Enzo Slayer ]

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Enzo Slayer ]

Hey Enzo,

You neglected to mention the name of the

company that builds the car. I am curious

about chassis,suspension,etc.

If it weren't for the fact that it has a

GD CH#^$%+&T engine, I might have

considered it, as the price seems very

reasonable. Real F1's are "just a bit" out

of my price range!

Bill

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hey Chris,

The website doen't get too specific about
anything, which leads me to believe that there's not much worth being specific about.
Not my cup of tea, thats for sure!
And a Chevrolet engine! BAH! Humbug!
To paraphrase Patrick Henry,"Give me a
GT40 or give me death!"
Now, if Ultima would put a Ford engine
in their cars, that might get my interest!

Bill

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Hi all

I would say that Mr Ron Dennis will have something to say about this. I do not think that they will get away with it, he has a very powerfull legal backing.

But if they do I want one minus minus, I would install BMW V12 and ZF DS25/2 trans.

Chris

PS Ron Dennis owns McLaren.

Comments???

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Chris,

As long as they are not marketing it as an F1, and have made subtle body changes, I
doubt that there is much he can do.
Either way, I'll bet he's not happy.

Bill

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I have had some dialogue with Robert the marketing and sales director (possible owner) for the MC-12, they are in the process of building thier first space framed car with a carbon fiber body and ram air LT6 Vette engine. Last I heard he was working on the fiber molds, and expects completion in 4 months....there are soon to be additional pictures and video to be posted.

Until I see pics of the car in detail and its chassis..I will pass, but thought it would intrigue you all.

Thomas

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Still rather have a GT40. The car above looks goofy. There are better looking McLarens to copy, if you were going to copy one..
The Lola T70 replica that is in another posting, now THAT is HOT.

G

A comment on putting a Ford in an Ultima. There is nothing to stop you from doing this. They use the Porsche G50/52 and we all know that you can bolt that to a Ford. Now of course you might have to be a little creative with the motor mounts, but hey, if you can afford an Ultima, that should be "no problemo."

Bill, the small block Ford V8 in an Ultima isnt a problem at all, in fact there is a gentleman out there named Cliff, that took the stroked 302 intended for a GT-40 and placed it into an Ultima GTR instead....He just told Ultima to modify the motor mounts before shippment.....Personally, Ultimas look a litte too much like "kit cars" to me.....I have seen a few examples that were spify, but the McLaren's and GT-40's are the slickest hands down.

Cliffs web site

I have seen a few GTR's with Ford engines. Im going with a LS1 and G50/50. the G50/52 is not as good of tansaxle comparded to the G50/50. with the 50/52 you have to use a stock starter ($400) and a stock clutch. If you go with a G50/50 you can use a aftermarket starter ($150) and a race clutch is avalible. Im just trying to share all the info I have been learning about the transaxles.

Mike

The problem i see with buildimg a Mc Laren replica is that it cannot be anything like as accomplished as the original.
Whereas a well tought out gt40 reploca can be....and not just be a facade for what was an amazing machine.
Perhaps I am being a little harsh!
rolleyes.gif

G

Check out e-bay # 1805028447 MC 12. Talked to the owner to-day, he said he would make any one a car for 30,000 turn-key. Also told me he sold one of his cars to Bill Gates, I find it all very hard to believe.

It appears to me that the car on the website is an actual McLaren and not a replica. I'm curious as to how well built the replica will be.

Fan from the stands at the U.S. Open during a tennis match between an obviously tired 39 year old Jimmy Connors and a 19 year old opponent whose name escapes me:

"COME ON JIMMY! HE'S JUST A PUNK! YOU'RE A LEGEND!"

If memory serves correctly, Jimmy sucked it up and went on to win the match, as usual.
grin.gif

Regards to all,
Blue

[ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: BlueOvalBlood ]

The car on the web site has a McLaren badge on the rear grill, so I would say that it is a McLaren not a replica.
Bill Gates could purchase a real Mclaren out of small change, so why would he get a replica?.
I think this is a wind up.

Chris

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Back