CAV GT40

I am seriously considering a CAV GT40 and would like to get any owners first hand experiences if any of you are out there. Quality, reliability, etc?

I really like mine, no problems so far, fit and finish is excellent. Bob Lacey has been really great to work with.

I'm curious--how does the chasis compare with the original? What about ERA? GTD? Did you buy it turnkey? Any options such as air conditioning? How was build quality? Any pictures?

Wayne, great pictures, realy show details. The FFR, is that yours, also? Every once in a while I get to Palm Springs, maybe I could take you to lunch and look over your collection. If you are ever in DC area let me know, no GT40 yet, but a Testerossa that will hold its own. Mid-engine torque is great fun!

Wayne, looks like great fun, now I truly know what "eat my dust means". And the trade is a deal, but hurry I just put the order in for SL55.

The cost... it depends.

What engine and which transaxle? Carb(s) or EFI?

My 289 with Weber IDFs is coming in around the $10,000 range. I'm also getting a rebuilt ZF which is $7000. Air conditioning is another $3000. Total cost for my car is $80K+. You can pay more or less depending on how you decide to build it. And don't forget the sales tax, which they're going to want to collect when you go to register the thing if you can't show them that you've already paid it.

Oh yeah, then there's the driver upgrade option: if you haven't had any high performance driving training (e.g., Bondurant, Skip Barber, or even NASA or SCCA), then (IMHO) you should factor the cost of one of these schools into your budget when you think about buying one of these cars.

[ July 14, 2002: Message edited by: Steve Toner ]

What will the CAV GT40 cost complete with engine/transmission?
Do you guys think the CAV is a solid replica?
How does it compare to ERA for example?

G

Jon ,The CAVGT roller is $59500 you can get a used Audi 5000 trannie for less than $500 a crate motor plus add ons for $4000 so you could be driving for $64000 .Installation is 3-5 days ,headers,adaptor,clutch etc are included in price.Quality is excellent.web site is www.cavgt.com

Just enjoyed Wayne's video clip of the cobra employing the smoke screen technique to evade watchful eyes.
grin.gif

Funny, it doesnt work as well when attempted in an accord coupe...
rolleyes.gif

-MaTT

Back