Rim and tire size on rear flared GT40 MK1s?

I was just wondering how wide the tires and rims are on the flared MK1s? I believe the standard car has 15x10in rims and the flares add two inches or so per side. I am assuming the rear rims on the flared cars are 15x12inches, or am I mistaken?

G

i just picked up my wheels saturday. they are 17x10 in the front and 17x14 in the rear. 245/45 and 335/35 respectively. i think that the front tires should be 245/40 or 235/45 or something like that. back to the subject... i have the flares and all kinds of space to put the biggest wheels that i wanted.

hope this helps

luis lopez

Just a word of caution. No matter how tempting it may be to use race tires on the street because it’s easy to get the ‘right size’ or you want to be original, Don’t! Slicks will give you no traction at all in any kind of damp weather and the rains will last about a 1/2 hour in the dry. Both rains and slicks have thin side walls and tread areas and leak if not properly sealed. Keep the racing tires on the track. On second thought , no one here would ever think of using any tire if not DOT approved so nevermind :)

IMSA
wink.gif

Hot Shot, you may want to talk to a performance tire person about tire sizes for your 10 and 14 inch wheels. You tire choices seem a little to small for the wheels you have. Just my opinion

IMSA

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by imsa:
Hot Shot, you may want to talk to a performance tire person about tire sizes for your 10 and 14 inch wheels. You tire choices seem a little to small for the wheels you have. Just my opinion
IMSA
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just about to say the same thing.

G

the tires that i'm using are perfect on my wheels. the 245's on the front fit nicely, even guarding the lip of the wheel. the 335's on the rear don't guard the lip but they look squared. these tires were the street tire that i could get fo my aplication. for the fronts i had another choice which were 255/40 or 245/40 but these will do for now. the other thing was that the price was right. there was a big michellin sale on the tire rack on these so i got them fairly inexpensive. a new set like these will cost me today about $1400 and i got these for $900. if i can save a buck here and there means that my 40 will be on the road faster
grin.gif

thanks for your opinion and your thoughts but i guess this will work for me now.
smile.gif

cheers

luis

Generally speaking, fitting a road tyre onto it's widest DESIGNED rim will give it the most grip, the fastest response, the coolest running, and the harshest ride.
It can even be the case that narrower tyres on the same rim, of the same make and design, actually grip better, due to less flex and heat.
This takes no account of protecting rims, just the chronometer.
The opposite applies to the narrowest rim, etc.
Porsche have done a bit of testing on this, and can be found in books by Paul Frere and the like.
Rob

shocked.gif

G

Calling for an expert ...

So what IS the widest rim a 335 is designed to mount on?

thanks!

Robert, I’m glad you specified ‘fitting a road tyre onto it's widest DESIGNED rim. Mounting a tire on a rim wider than recommended by the TIRE MANUFACTURE can cause several problems including uneven tire wear( the outside tread edges will wear more than the inside tread, increased chance the tire will separate from the rim, decreased traction, and it just doesn’t look right. I have seen a M8F McLaren involved in a serious accident a few years ago because the rear tires were to narrow for the wheel. The tire’s centrifical force broke the bead seal whan the tire lost traction with the track (ever seen bead locks? they keep the wheel in the rim). My guess is a 335 is designed for a 12-13 inch wheel max. I always want my sidewalls to bow a bit past the wheel lip.

IMSA

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mike_starling:
Calling for an expert ...

So what IS the widest rim a 335 is designed to mount on?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

335/35-17 should fit an 11 to 13 inch wheel. To look at some other specs try www.tirerack.com and pick a tire and click on it's manufacturer specs, they will give recommended wheel sizes.

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: Rob00GT ]

In one of the tire ads in either Car & Driver or Road & Track, I saw someone made 365/60 size tire. I think that would fit a 14 inch wheel just fine.

IMSA

As double ought has said, always consult the manufacturer....the tire rack has great info, but do not trust any old tyre dealer, and never go where nobody reputable and successful has gone before!
There are so many urban legends about tires that it is scarey.
I used to work for Yokohama, and apart from making good stuff, they had plenty of info available.
Race tires are even more critical, and always talk to the manufacturer or their race distributors
:)

Robert,
I couldn’t agree more with your statement about consulting a reputable tire person. You worked for Yokohama, I worked for a Good Year Racing tire distributor in Portland, Oregon. Not only did we sell and service racing tires out of the store, we also sold and serviced racing tires throughout the Northwest at the track. We attended stock car races, sports car races, and large drag races. We would sell and mount up to 400 tires a weekend at national sports car events and as few as a dozen at a NASCAR or regional sports car race. I had the opportunity to meet and work with many well known racers including Bob Tullius , Joe Huffaker (sp), Hershal McGriff, Peter Gregg, Tom Gloy, Ed McCullough, Gordy Bonnin, Hurley Haywood, Al Holbert, and many others. We were on the road almost every weekend from April through September and I loved every second of it!

IMSA
smile.gif

Back