The GT90 was it a mistake?

Was the GT90 a mistake
fde3c2ce.jpg

fde3c2cd.jpg

fde3c2cc.jpg

fde3c2cb.jpg

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

After seeing it in person, I think it is not a mistake. It's a super concept car and the sound of the V12 engine was terrific. I really don't think it was supposed to be the "new GT40" like the 2002 ones, but merely tried to incorporate some very modernized elements of the originals. The pictures don't do it justice. It has very neat details including the tire tread that reads GT90.

A great car as far as I'm concerned.

Concept cars shouldn't be seen as mistakes even if they have a few things that we don't like or which look odd.

Maybe it was a mistake to call it a GT90, (with the obvious GT40 connotations) but thats all.

personally, there are some parts of it I like but to me its overdone. It needs to be simplified to give it cleaner lines.

I agree with some other opinions here. A concept car is produced to try out ideas. It would only be a mistake if they put it into production and it became another Edsel.

John

G

I agree that concept car should be viewed as just that. Never meant to go to production, but to experiment with styling ideas, etc: kind of a three-dimensional brain storming session.

This one appears to be heavily influenced by the stealth aircraft with its faceted exterior. Perhaps it is to reflect police radar in a direction other than the highway patrolman using it.

I kind of like the interior with its utilitarian armrest and shifter. The futuristic dash/steering area looks cool also, but I am not sure the two go together in the same car.

G

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lynn Larsen:
I agree that a concept car should be viewed as just that. Never meant to go to production, but to experiment with styling ideas, etc: kind of a three-dimensional brain storming session.

This one appears to be heavily influenced by the stealth aircraft with its faceted exterior. Perhaps it is to reflect police radar in a direction other than the highway patrolman using it.

I kind of like the interior with its utilitarian armrest and shifter. The futuristic dash/steering area looks cool also, but I am not sure the two go together in the same car.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we need to keep in mind that this design is about ten years old now. The design came out of an era when car styling of was about as exciting as washing your sox. Most cars looked like they had been inflated, rather than constructed... then this came along. The new styling ideas were a bit raw, but the basic form can still be seen in cars like the cougar today.

If nothing else, it proved that a car can still have character (love it or hate it) without looking like it was built in the 60s.

I've actually driven it and it's awesome!!
for sure it's nothing like a gt 40, but then whats the point in building the same car twice!!!

Back