gt40s for sale in U.S.

A friend is reducing his rather large collection of GT40s and I thought it would be neat to offer them here first, so we could have first crack at them. I'm going to think about them all night before deciding that "the financial timing may not be just right", but perhaps some of you fellows might be ready,willing,and able ? One of them is a Mark III, and one of them is a Mark IIb (tennant panels chassis), and there is a Mark I road car (wire wheels), maybe even a Mark IV. I had hoped to inherit these vehicles someday, and while there is still a chance, the all-important initial adoption has yet to occur.Please respond with your inquiries, and uncle George, if you read this, please introduce yourself to the list as you will find you would be most welcome here.

Hey Spyderman,

Please pass along my phone number to

Uncle George...1-800-ADOPTME2!

That sounds like quite a collection!

Bill

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

G

My Heavens!

I'd feel honored just to look at such a collection (could I bring a camera?) ... no less be in the adoption queue!

I must admit to being awstruck at the thought of anyone owning such a wonderful collection.

"Uncle George" PLEASE identify yourself and participate in the forum ... you could be an absoultely invaluable source of information for this community!!!

I'm sure that I met George at the SCCA 25th anniversary get together at Lime Rock a few years ago. Very nice gentleman. He was kind enough to give me the nickel tour of the IIb and chat for a half hour or so about the other models he had with him. Alas, anything in his collection is out my range.....

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: Brian ]

I am on the way to sebring for the 12 hour race (actually the 1/2 hour HSR historic Parade Laps-run at close to race speeds)and I have the opportunity to ride shotgun in J4(the 1967 sebring winner). Should be the historic ride of a lifetime. The Mark I road car is now sold, but the others are still available....and no, I did not buy the Mark I. I am not a chassis number expert but I will see what I can find out, as I know this is important to some of you fellows.

G

I watched J4 win Sebring. What a battle! Some of the best road racing in history.

Boy am I envious.

The mk III is 1102, the one given to John Wyer by FORD. the Mk II for sale is 1047b....not 1046, which I am sure he is keeping. Lets all pitch in and get one...!

G

I also met George Stauffer at Lime Rock...
a very impressive collection, and a very
nice guy.

I'm a little surprised that 1047b hasn't sold, considering how few MK II's were made,
what an MK II with racing history is worth,
and how lovely the car looks.

I can only guess the car's slightly fuzzy
history is the issue. Still, if I had the
money I'd buy it in an instant.

MikeD

1047b has raced in SVRA, HSR, VSCDA, and will continue to do so(I heard it from the horses mouth)because it is made from factory parts and has the original 1047 chassis tag. This makes it a genuine Gt40 vs. an original gt40.If George was not the ethical fellow he is, he could have presented the car as 1047 vs. 1047b, but he is a stickler for the truth, and it does not hurt that George has so many other significant cars, gt40 and otherwise.
It is a real gt40, the same as so many other gt40's that have had their chassis replaced, but George keeps everything above board.My Mk 1 spyder,by comparison, has some original parts on it, and occasionally vintage races in HSR/SVRA, but it is a replica and is only allowed to race when the grid is less than full and there is no chance of it winning. The price is $295,000.

Thank you for your opinion. It is genuine enough to vintage race, which I believe was the question that I was attempting to answer.I do not think you will find a cheaper race eligable MkII.
Genuine and Original are two different concepts. If you mean it is not the original Gt40p1047 I would not disagree, nor would George, hence his "B" designation.
Nobody is trying to represent 1047b as "the" original 1047, which disappeared long ago.
I know of no parts from 1047 that went on to 1046.
With regards to prices, gt40's were even cheaper when they were new......

[ March 19, 2002: Message edited by: spyderman ]

Hello, !

According to several sources 1047 was rebuilt/restored in 1976 and the sold to a Japanese unknown buyer....
1047b has a Tennant chassis, built with original blueprints to hold original dimensions,but Abbey panels pressed the original ones wich slightly differs because of different methods of making the panels
etc.
These has been used to make "new" cars and as repair sections for "originals" as well as some cars might have been "re-chassied" with one of these...
But these chassis has been used as "factory" "repair" sections.
Might even been sanctioned by JWA.
1047b has also a MkI nose piece...
Suppose the rest of the car is built up with mostly GT40 spares, so in that way it might be called a original car made out of spares at a much later date without any history or I.D.
Holman cars are also made of these Tennant chassis.
Even some "MkV´s" ended up with Tennant chassis...
I would´nt mind having it sit in my garage, nevertheless.
And as Mr.Stauffer is not trying to sell it as anything else...

Regards,

G

MB

I believe 1047b now has an MK II nose.
In fact I seem to recall George saying
the nose came from 1046 after 1046 was
restored. If you look at the earlier
thread (MK IV) you'll see 1047b in the photo with an MK II nose. A really pretty car.

I must assume the fact that it's a "rebody"
is the reason why it has not sold.
But compared to the Holman MK II price,
$ 295k seems like a good deal for a vintage
eligible MK II.

Since I can't afford either it's an easy
decision on my part!

MikeD

MikeD

Sorry, !
It really made me glad to hear about the up date i missed; that it does have a correct nose now !
I suppose it got one while 1046 was restored...
Do you mean the photo were 1047b appears to be in the middle of 1046 and a MkIII(Wyer´s, car ?)
Would be glad to see a good pic of it !
In it´s new and proper clothing.
All GT40ies warms my heart...

Regards

G

That's the one.
The photo was taken at Lime Rock and Chris Melia posted the photo on the thread (MK IV)
on January 23. I thought I saw a better photo
of 1047b somewhere else on the Forum, but alas it eludes me. Parked in front of 1046,
it just looked great.

I need to buy more Lottery tickets and pray!

MikeD

One time George,Ronnie Spain and I were at Elkhart lake, and Fran Kress comes walking up and says he thinks he has an original MK II rear bodywork. We all walk down the hill to his trailer and look at it. Fran wants to trade it to George for some wheels, but George does not need it.Ronnie says to get it, so George does. I carried it back up the hill and then took the wheels back down. When I got back, Ronnie had found traces(very difficult to see, but i saw them) of silver stripes on a black paintjob on the underside (the topside was raw,stripped fiberglass with no paint at all,and it was just the outer shell). There were holes from number lights too. Ronnie said that he thought that was one of the original pieces from 1046. I sat in a chair for a while looking at the piece and at the car (1046)thinking about how long it might have been since they had been so close, and I finished my beer and left them alone.

Spyderman,

I'm the person who had the original #1046 MKII tail section that was brought to Elkhart Lake by Fran Kress.
I traded it to George to return it to the original car. The whole story is on my GT40 cd on eBay. It was verified as the original and I was happy to join it back to the car where it belonged. It now sits on a loft near #1046.

John

Back