steering wheel location

G

Folks,

Am getting ready to make the fixtures that locate the column and cut it to length.

Would appreciate enough information to estimate an average distance from the dash to the back of the steering wheel.

Please send dimensions!

thank you,

G

ttt

Folks,

I'd be VERY appreciative of a few measurements from the surface of the lens on the tach to the back of the steering wheel!!!!!

Pretty Please.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Mike,

The most ergonomical sound position is to have your wrists on top of the wheel with arms fully extended. The wrists should also be ABOVE your sholders which is a little harder to do.

Get your seat in and measure from there.

Best wishes,

Robert

Mike,

Although driving position is very much down to personal tastes, IMO it's a mistake to have your arms out straight when holding the steering wheel.

As you will be needing some physical effort to turn the wheel, it'll be much easier if the wheel is closer to your chest, so you can put a bit more muscle into it. This will also be less tiring.

Imagine lifting a heavy weight & holding it out infront of your chest. With you arms out straight you'll soon be sweating, however if you hold the weight closer to your chest with your arms bent, it becomes much easier!

Alain Prosts book 'Driving techniqies' details postitioning of controls for maximum effect & is well worth a read.

G

I agree with Robert and Julian. Set your wheel up correct for youself by doing what Robert says as when you hold the wheel you will find your arms slightly bent and so comply with Julian's comments. The book I used to set up all of my controls was Bob Bondurants book on High Performance driving. Looks old fasioned from the cover but is excellent inside. I also cut away a bit of the dash under the tacho to raise the column up a bit more. About 1/2 inch. Gives more knee room for tall people too. There is also a book out there called Competition Car Controls which was a good read.
Malcolm

Back