Some interesting info on the 'new' GT40

Some interesting info on the \'new\' GT40

Just came across this in my new issue of EVO..."Ford has confirmed that its 'new' GTO will go into production in 2003 (we already knew that). Just 100 cars will be built in the first year, although this will rise to around 300 in 2004."

[ March 21, 2002: Message edited by: Jon ]

G

Re: Some interesting info on the \'new\' GT40

Let's start a wagering pool on high much over "MSRP" the scalpers will sell the first
100 cars for. I say $ 100k.

MikeD

The mark-up will be huge. I remember the 92 vipers being advertised for well over 100K when they first came out.

Dealers in the US will take an order today at List Price for the new GT 40. My neighbor got a written confirmed order from our local Ford dealer for a $500. deposit.

I believe a Ford dealer could take a deposit. But how does he/she know if they will be one of the dealerships to even get a car. A small fraction of the dealerships will get one.

As a general rule, Ford dealers are dirtbags. Consider the much more mundane 2000 Cobra R, of which 300 were built. Ford's MSRP was $53,000, and many dealers were seeking $100,000 or more. Of course, this was in the final days of the last economic boom, so things may be somewhat different now, but Ford dealers will always be greedy.

I would also counsel any perspective buyers to avoid the first model-year cars, as they are fraught with quality and reliability isses. This applies doubly for Ford versus other manufacturers.

Does anyone know what the MSRP will be?

This dealer is a big SV Ford dealer who will likely get one. The supercar market is not growing as fast as new offering are coming, VW,Aston,Porsche,Lambo,Ferrari,Shelene,Bugatti,Ferbaud,etc. etc. Anyone who paid over list for a Viper lost money.

Just returned from Press Day NYC Auto Show. New GT-40 exterior looks good-fair. Nose is too long. Interior looks poor way too modern for me. Cad Cien looks great. H2 Hummer is very cool.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Could not agree more about Ford dealers, who are a sorry lot to say the least. All they care about is moving "units". Can't imagine they will be able to service the car either, and would you want those people driving it? I don't think so.
My guess is that the "greed factor" or "pack" will be huge, as much as fifty percent to begin with. It will then drop as word gets out and the availability goes up. I would still rather have a copy of the old one, and I am putting my money where my mouth is.

Back