Who rides cycles around here?

Ron Earp

Admin
Yeah,

Its the all GT40 forum but I'm also an avid cycle rider and want to know if anyone else is.

I just retrieved the Trimuph Tiger 900 from VA, leaving the Yahama TDM850, but also brought up a Honda CB1000 (1995) in the garage I'm going over for rejetting, head mods, and- I just might - make a manifold for a small turbocharger I picked up from a 1L Chevy Sprint sold in the 80s. The turbo is ideal and it is really easy to pickup an oil feed for the turbo from the sending unit on the block. A little wire feed welding on the tube header and .....well, you could end up with something that does bad things.

So, any other cycle riders around?

Ron
Inclose pic

garage.JPG

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

I've had a Honda CBX for 22 years, purchased new in 1980. Have 50K miles on it now and it's still going strong. And they said a high rpm 6 cyl, 24 valve engine wouldn't last! It is one of the real pleasures in life to be able to jump on the thing and go exploring on backroads where you've never been. The engine is a pleasure. It is happy at 2000 rpm around town, or 9500 rpm when running through the gears out on the road. It gets 40 mpg if you don't flog it, and can run the quarter in the 11's if you so desire. The worst milage I ever got was 28 mpg (when I was a bit younger!). The only drawbacks are the narrow rear tire (only get 4000 miles till wore out), and the seat gets hard after about 2 hours. I never plan on selling it though. Too much fun!

Dave

G

Hello Ron,
Just picked this up last summer (CBR929RR), lots of fun, 9,000 miles already, has an advertised top end of 170 mph and when it hits redline in in 6th gear the speedo reads 171 mph. I thought that was pretty accurate. The calculated speed was actually 172.4 mph. Photo to follow, at rest.

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: John Hester ]

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I have an RG500 Lucky strike replica that I built very trick with all kinds of mods,a TDM850 with a single sided swingarm and custom twin tailpipe exhaust with head work and big bore kit,A '95 FZR 1000 with Falicon crank and knife rods also '98 Yamaha Royal star,2000 Bultaco Sherco trials bike '96 vfr750 and a couple of vintage race bikes an ex-factory Honda cb400/4 ridden by Ron Haslam and a 500 Triumph Daytona
Needless to say far too many toys and no time to play with them all.I will post some pics of the cool ones later

Ron,
I have a 1985 BMW K100RS. I bought it new
and it only has 2300 miles on it. I also raced motocross for many years. I was dealer
sponsored by Yamaha. I manage to stay in the
top ten for a few times. I love motorcycles !
I have been around them most of my life.
I would hate to list all the ones I have
owned down the years. I will tell you that
my first one was a new 1961 Milano Bianchi,
a 75cc cafe racer. A whopping 51 mph top
speed if you took the muffler off.
grin.gif

There is one bike that I use to own that I
wish I had back now. It was a Honda 305
superhawk. I loved that bike! I took a many
cold trip to school on that thing rather than ride the school bus.
OOPS ! sorry for the rambling remininsing.
Hersh
smile.gif
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

fdda729c.jpg

I knew there would be somewhere where I could make use of this picture.

The bike on the left is my Triumph Daytona 955i, a fellow forum member's MV Agusta on the right (I'll let him own up to it on his own), and a brand new, just out of the factory Roaring Forties GT40 in the background - which is not mine
frown.gif

If I remember correctly, the GT40 has one of Gordon Levy's 306 engines.

I recon much of the fun of riding is the anticipation while you're gearing up to go for a ride. I suspect that the extended process of getting into my GT40 will have the same effect
grin.gif

Hi folks,

I knew this would happen...

I also got some 2wheel fun:
10 years 24H endurance races back in the 70ties on Honda semi manufactrure and one on an official from Japan,but I am getting old...I have now a MV Agusta F4 with some tuning.Great fun...but the issue is which one to take out fo the garage with my GTD40?
Keep it up
Fred

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey,

This is great! Some fellow cycle owners! I figured there would be some.

Fran, your bike tastes must be similar to mine, particularily with the TDM850 as it did poorly in the states. I bought mine new in 93 and it now has over 35k on the clock. I don't have a single sided swingarm though :=(.

The Tiger was new in 1996 and now has over 55k and a couple of cross-country trips on it. I do like to ride, that is for sure. There is also the CB1000, a BMW R100/7, and a Honda XR650 running around here as well but I do not have the garage space for all to be active at the same time.

Dave, CBXs are a favortite of mine too. Here in Raleigh there is a fellow that comes to the cycle breakfast on Sunday morning (about 100+bikes on good days) that has a turbocharged CBX. Sounds great and has no muffler! The exhaust impeller on the turbo muffles nicely with a great whine under acceleration.

Hershal, nice bike, you got to put some miles on it. Or, let me have it for a bit, I'll break it in for ya!
wink.gif

Who's MV4, is that Roberts' from RF?

Ron

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Ron,
Where as I love bikes and have had Indians and Titans in the family, I have one suggestion. Finish that GT! It's gonna take you longer to biuld it than that C*#K sucker George to make a few sets of pipes.
tongue.gif
Is it time for George to meet my lawyer yet?
mad.gif

My favorite was a Matchless 500 single dirt track racer. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it and had to have it. All motor. Huge finned aluminum cylinder and head. Beautiful aluminum tank with a GT40 style flip open gas cap. Painted the tank Holland racing orange in honor of Denny Hulme's machine. That must have been around 1964-65. Would ride for hours along the gravel roads of Iowa with my buddies. Once got dumped off the back coming off the line at the drags at Kahoka, MO. The Matchless kept on going and the spectators no doubt got a pretty good laugh seeing me running after it. Had nearly caught it when it veered to the left and crashed into the ditch (undamaged). Those were the days. Wish I still had that one!

G

I am a bike nut too. I think the total is up to seventeen now. Mostly Italian vintage...Ducati, Bimota, MV Agusta and Moto Guzzi. Dave, I also have two CBX's. The sound of the six cylinder engine winding up is something to behold.

Steve

1st Bike: 1958 Harley Hummer: 150 cc, 2.5 hp. Then Triumph 350 Twin (like a baby 650!), 2 250 Yamaha dirt bikes, then a 1973 Honda CR250 Motocrosser, then finally an old Sears minibike wih my alcohol cammed go-kart racing engine installed. Want a cafe racer (Suzuki Hyabusa) but my wife won't let me!

Hello, everyone.
Just wanted to include my bike in the mix. 1997 CBR900RR, mostly stock in appearance. The only mods are jet kit & pipe, some carb work done by local Honda shop. About 130 rear-wheel ponies. Fun - but wants to wheelie all the time! Attempting to include a picture...hope this works.

My first bike was a BMW R75/5 with a sidecar. I had a K100Rs just sold my K1100LT and am looking for another RS. The LT just felt a little too disconnected from the road for my tastes. I also helped my dad build a fuel injected supercharged Honda Valkyrie that he is taking to Bonneville this year.

Can anyone tell me how to post a picture from my hard drive?
confused.gif
I don't have a website, but do have some photos that I wouldn't mind posting. Thanks in advance.

Ron Earp

Admin
Mike,

That CBR must have had some work done to it, or you've got a healthy one, 130 at the rear wheel is awesome! And they're very light bikes! Most I've seen dynoed or done in Cycle World come in around 110-115 rear wheel. We should go riding sometime, drop me email if you'd like to look at the car.

Ron

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
grin.gif
shocked.gif
Bill, you FISH for a living? You lucky dog. If I get out on my boat four times a month I'm doing good. I'll go out, sure. What are you running, and where do you keep it?
I do most of my boating on the Bay,because I don't usually have enough time to get outside and keep the boat there for long enough. Plus, this season, I'm getting a late start, because the boat is in Cambridge getting a paint job, and some wiring and new radios. I'm going to have to play hooky and run over to Delaware when you get your GT40 up and going.

Back