Bragging rights

I think that most of us here are weekend racers (legal or otherwise) who race for bragging rights rather than fame, so here's yer chance to tell yer stories.

Tell us of the time that you beat that Ferrari (which is what the '40 was s'posta do), or the close call while going for that tricky overtaking maneuver, or the simple mod that made all the difference...

There is no shortage of amazing tales in the paddock. Let's hear'em here so we can cheer you on!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

When the world was young, and I was too,
I owned a parts store specializing in goodies for four wheel drives. Being able to deduct personal vehicle parts on my taxes had
great advantages.
At that time, I had the great fortune to meet
Ralph Moody of Holman/Moody fame. I went on a shopping spree in his engine shop, and
walked out with a B&B 429 of roughly 700HP for $1800, a lot of money in those days. He had a 427 side oiler next to it for $2000,
but money was an issue, and I was uninformed
of the merits of a 427.
Now, being young and dumb, I decided that this engine would be perfect for my F150
pickup. Needless to say, this was not your ordinary pickup truck.
My favorite memory of that truck, was a little trick taught to me by a friend. I
would leave the front hubs unlocked and
put the transfer case in low range. Now,
with 4:10 gears doubled in low range, you
can imagine what a hole shot this truck had!
I never clocked the 0-50 time, but rest
assured, it was blistering. In low range, 50
MPH was all you could get, but it was plenty.
I never lost a 100 foot race to anything. Not
Corvettes,Porsches,Chevelles,Camaros, you name it. I never had the opportunity to try
running against an exotic, but handling was not this vehicles forte'.
The best part of all was the look on the other guy's face when a FWD pickup truck
sucked the paint off the side of his pride and joy!
I'd love to have that engine back, as it
would happily turn 7200RPM, all day long!

Bill

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Back