Shift Linkage

This issue surfaced in a different conversation thread, so I though it may deserve it's own topic. Regarding shifter mechanisms. I am building a left hand drive car with a left hand rod shift (no cables) on the sill and I have not found the appropriate shifter mechanism to use or modify to suit the requirements. Yes, I have looked at the Porsche units, I am SURROUNDED by the air cooled guys. They appear to have enough fore and aft movement, but do not look to have the proper throw required to rotate my selector shaft in and out of the housing, which is a modified R21. It looks like I can fabricate my own similar to the one in pictures that Malcolm in the UK sent me of his Lotus, but I don't have home machining capabilities (yet...)Has anyone utilized an off the shelf unit successfully?
Brian

G

Brian, this is not an off the shelf setup but it is easily built with a mill and lathe. In the past I've built stuff like this with a welder and drill press but it's more difficult.

Have you looked around your area for a rental manchine shop? Their not all that uncommon. Or farm out just the difficult machining of the fabrication.

It would help to have more info. This shifter is built for a porsche G50 where the shift shaft comes straight out the back. But the mechanism could be modified for something that comes out the side.

Have you thought of modifying something existing. With this design you could easily change throw distances.

I have 2 other pages of the complete system that goes with this shifter.
Lever.jpg

Page1Shift.jpg

BTW this is not my design, I got it from a guy down in Australia through the kitcar NG. I wonder if he's found the forum yet.

[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: Kalun D ]

Thanks Kalun, I will consider your advice. When I complete my design effort, I'll let you know how it comes out. Brian

Back