Thermostats

BMW high flo thermostat works great. The tricks to cool running are high flo radiator fans, high flo oil cooling fans (motorcycle fans work well) shrouds that duct the air flo, and overspeeding water pump via pulley size if used on steet at lower RPM. AT higher adverage RPM overspeeding too much can cause cavitation and hurt cooling so you have to experiment.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Do not be tempted to run without a thermostat. This is a thing many try to "improve" cooling but it does not work. At higher RPMs without a stat the coolant flows though the engine so quickly it does not have time to allow heat transfer and the car runs hotter! I have personal experiance with this in P1116, the owner insisted that I take the stat out to reduce temps. I did so and and...........it ran hotter. The problem with this car was the crappy rebuilt water pump the engine builder had installed. A new quality pump and voila! you could idle the car on an 80 degree day and it would not overheat. Previously it would puke and spit all the time. Also I suggest you test the pressure cap, many are not up to specs right out of the box.

rick

I would like to know what applications people are using for thermostats.Are you using one at all or have you omitted it? What degree thermostat? High flow or normal?

Back