Is it worth it

I’ve been trying to put together a budget to build a GT40 but after paying closer attention to performance statistics, and costs associated to building I cant justify and cant understand how anyone can justify building the car. It may had been a supercar in the 60’s but it surely doesn’t match the performance and technology of supercars today. And if the car you build does match a supercar of today the overall cost is far above $70,000 US funds. If someone has set in there mind that they are willing to spend $70,000 they can find a true supercar. Maybe not brand spanking new but a well maintained car maybe a few years old.. Still with much newer and technically advanced compononts than the GT40 replicas will have, and finance it all for under $70,000 The GT40 in the 60k range gives you a midiocre car with 11.5” brakes and limited hp/torque transaxle 15” wheels and RPM humming very high above 100 mph. This is not a supercar.. it may look like a supercar but not performing as one. If you want it to perform better you up the kitty by quite abit more. I currenty have a factory five cobra. The 1/4 mile times are much better than the GT40 1/4 mile times posted. And in terms of racing.. the GT40 is rated as an open car because of its roof construction. I think its probably a better buy to pickup a Z06 Corvette with perfect weight distribution and modify it cosmetically to your liking. Everyone is concerned of having a one of a kind vehicle. Maybe someone should sell a body kit for the Z06 frame and be way ahead of the game.

Worth only has meaning to the person spending the time and or money. The new 745 BMW is much more advanced than than any of these cars but I wouldn't take one as a gift.
Who cares what (as Bob Dylan said) what any of this is worth? If you enjoy it that's all that matters.

price is definitly not the right factor to try and apply....after all there are people out there that spend the cost of an RF on a conversion van or RV. Now ask me which I would rather drive to work
wink.gif

DanielD,
Practically every guy on this board that
owns a GT40 replica could very well have
bought a Z06. But that's not what it's
about. It's the appeal and allure of the
car. I have owned my share of "Super cars"
and I wanted something that you don't see
everyday on the street. I wanted
the car that I loved the most when I was
in high school.
I'm not looking for a road scorcher. I
want the car to perform but I don't need to
feel I can blow the doors off anything that
comes up next to me.
And you are right, it's not a super car buy
your defintion. I wanted the satisfaction
of building the car myself. I like knowing
every nut and bolt and how it fits.
Daniel My GT40 has 13" rotors with 4 pot
calipers up front. The cars purpose is
not for pulling hole shots. It also has a
inner full size roll bar. I know that
there are several other guys on this board
who will beg to differ with you on several
points. So daniel, I'd say that a replica GT40 may not be what you want. As for me
I was able to afford it so I got it. I'm
Happy !
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Hello, !
Just would like to say that a "supercar" and a race car is totally different thing...
As a pig and a hen, both animals but..
Maybe these guys wants what they love, instead of having a show off or such, as some people need to express them selves.
Can you justify love ?
GT40 has never been anything else but a race car, with a few for the road for sales figures ?
Performance ?
Have you ever driven or raced one ?
What tecnology ?,refinement yes but not that much has happened to road cars.
Have you driven any of the super cars and compared ?
$70000, from were did you get that figure ?
Brakes, engines, trans´s and sound absorbing material just wait´s to be bought !
Do you think a F F40 is silent like a school bus or full throttle ?
Comparing Cobra kits with GT40ies ?
Is the GT40 a drag racer ?
Who cares.
In fact you´d have a dead heat, as well as you´d loose on top speed as well.
Maybe you are just out of funds, jealous.
You don´t seem to have any clue about chassis constructions- open car ?
Sorry Chevy guy´s, but what the heck does the Corvette do in this conversation ?
You are most certainly in the wrong kind of forum.
Even your wife get´s old, will you change her then to something more "advanced"
Either No feelings, nor money, no self asteam or lack of respect seems to be your
downfall, if not age.
Comparison is fine, but throw your shit elsewere.

Regards,

My view...

I don't know Daniel, I've spec'ed out
what I want for under $75K, and finding
a comparable supercar is nigh impossible.
In my budget, I have a car w/ 17 in. wheels,
13 in. multipot brakes, an EFI that beats
almost any stock companies, 0-60 times in
less than 4 sec, 1/4 mi. times in 12.5 or less
at 130 mph, and a top speed over 210 mph. I'm
not sure what I'd see at the skidpad. But
Gordon Levy has stated that it handles like
a dream.

About the only thing close would be a highly
modified Corvette, and it would run over $75K. Anything else would not be as well
rounded as the GT40.

BTW, nothing wrong with high RPMs, as long as
the engine can deal, which it can.

I agree that the Z06 is a great car. As a
matter of fact, the Z06 is the car that
completely throws the supercar market out
of whack. Nothing comes close to that price
tag. But, these days, everybody and their
grandmother has one (I know a couple of
grannies that literally do).

Oh, and with the 40, I can avoid CA's smog
laws.

Ian

I can see some people are inflamed.. which was not my intent. My post is sincere as to whether building was worth it. By building your own car it can not be financed. I'm not jealous of those who can afford it. I can afford it. I chose 70,000 because that seems to be where someone can start getting some performance items for their money into the project, and after talking with Gordon on cost of building the Roaring Forties GT40. If Ford decides to compete at the level of the Vipers and Corvettes with the new GT40 you may find me back posting about my new GT40. I know everyone is saying its going to be sold for more than 100k but lets wait and see before placing your bets.

In June 2000 I was at Goodwood in my MK-IV. Eddie Irvine was ahead of me in line to go up the hill in a new Jag F1. It took 12 people 6 minutes to get it started. Jacky Ickx turned to me and said "technology" My 35 year old car did just fine.

Most of the above posters have hit the nail on the head. We have two issues here: the value of a GT40 replica as a performance car, and its value as measured in every other respect.

First, I agree that a properly executed GT40 will run close to $70,000 by the time its all said and done. I also agree that the Z06 represents a fantastic performance value in a new car, and that it’s the only new car under $70k in the same league as the GT40 in terms of performance. There are also older cars that one can buy and modify in an attempt to compete with a GT40, such as Vipers, Porsches, and perhaps the odd Lotus.

But the most important consideration to most builders is not 0-60 times, or skidpad numbers, or top speed. It’s emotion. And pride of accomplishment. I’ve been in love with the GT40 ever since I was a kid. I think it is one of the most beautiful cars ever built, and I think most of the builders feel the same way. You can’t put a price on that.

Regards,
Mark

G

Wow!

Someone hit a nerve on this one.
Most of us have had to do some soul searching
when deciding to buy a "toy", especially those of us with families to support.

And once the decision to buy a toy has been made, the fun really begins. There are so many ways to trade money for entertainment
and self gratification.

If someone is looking strictly at peformance
per dollar spent, I'm sure there are less costly options than building a GT40 replica.

But as others have responded, most GT40
replica owners were not looking for the absolute best performance per dollar spent...
they were looking specifically for a GT40!

So if you don't care whether the car you drive is a GT40 or a comparably priced Corvette/Viper/Porsche/etc, you're
probably better off driving the newer car.
They are much easier to find (see a dealer)
and you get a warranty.

MikeD

G

I'll always want a 40. Came very close to buying one, but, after being realistic about where I am in life right now, I went for the Z06. But, love, real passion, matter more than anything else in life. I REALLY like my Z06. I really LOVE the Cobra (have had a Contemporary "roadster" for six years) and the GT40. Still think I'll do a 40 once (if!) I've retired. Until then, I've got a great car for track and street, which beats riding the bus!

TT
wink.gif

I've seen many quotes about the new GT40 being longer, wider, taller, and much heavier. My answer to this is.. So What. The original GT40 was not created by God with perfect measurements.. it was created by Ford. And Ford after looking at the cars pro's and cons believed that it was too low, not roomy enough and so on. Believe me when the car comes out people will find ways to curve its weight just like all other production cars where performance is trying to be achieved.

Dan

The new car,which I've seen, and the present Ford is not the same car or the same company that built the original. The new car is similar to their new thunderbird ie it's an impression of the original. The new Caddilac
Cien which is built on the tub of their racecar which will be running at LeMans this year is closer in theory to the original GT40. It's too bad they're not going to build it.

I am likely on of the younger members of this board at 31. The GT40 was made before I was born, yet I consider it one of the best automotive designs ever produced. Its appearance is timeless. I am all for the modern supercar, yet most of these modern machines do not capture the essence of 'automotive art,' as like I like to put it, as the GT40 does.

I certainly think the Z06 gives a better performance value, but that is not what the GT40 is about. I hope to have one in a few years. I love the looks, the history and the exclusivity. The exclusivity is the only reason I was hoping the new Ford GT40 would not be built. I can think of many more reasons why I'd love to see it produced though.

In addition, the GT40 is not outrageously priced...and it is dirt cheap to maintain. A crate engine is relatively inexpensive if you needed a replacement. Now a Ferrari service on the otherhand....

G

Daniel

We've traded many pros and cons on this forum about the "new" GT40.

Seems to be an even split between those
that would have preferred Ford to either
"duplicate" the old car (or not build it
at all) versus those who feel any "new" GT40
by Ford is better than none.

I regret that all signs point to the "new"
GT40 being FAR MORE expensive than a Z06.
So I don't think that decision will be too
difficult.

MikeD

I'm not saying I wont build a GT40. If when all is said and done and the new GT40 is priced high and the GT40 replicas dont lose its resale value I may build one or buy a turnkey minus engine and trans. Or I may find the new mid-engine car that factory five comes out with to be a worthwhile. I would hate for the value to decrease of cars out there and being built but the future is uncertain as is the stock market and the economy.

Daniel

G

Short of a world-wide depression, the economy
is not going to affect the value of replicas.
They are just not "valuable" enough.

Corvettes depreciate like normal cars
because they are mostly used like real cars
and GM sells a TON of them every year.

This is not true of the Viper and will not be
true of the new GT40. Their very limited production numbers and very limited usage
will keep their resale value very high.

Check out the price of 1992/3/4 Vipers.
They are still selling for 80% of their
original sticker prices. That's amazing.

Resale value of replicas is mostly a function of quality of workmanship, and the market price of similar quality replicas.
Of course the more work you can do yourself,
the better since the investment will be lower. Those that buy turnkeys should expect
more depreciation than those that build.

MikeD

Daniel,

Also, you must consider that the new GT40
must also be built to today's government
safety, economy and emissions standards.

The new dimensions aren't 100% the designers
saying the original was too low, not roomy
enough, etc. Some of those dimensions are the
result of acceptable crash bumpers, the
modular engine is taller and wider, etc.
I'm not saying the new design is ugly, but
the original is timeless. Yeah, it doesn't
have airbags, ABS, or impact absorbing plastic
front and end pieces, but then again, that's
not what the original was all about. It was
about endurance racing, particularly Le Mans,
and FoMoCo's desire to beat Ferrari. That's
something the new one is not about.

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't know, I'm not too sure I agree with a lot of the posts on the Z06.

It is a great track/road car. But, I have a hard time believing the Z06 has a performance advantage over a *properly* setup GT40. Yes, a poor GT40 replica with drum brakes, a wheezy engine, and some sort of bad suspension geometry or donor bits is not a good comparison. But the folks on this board/forum aren't building those.

The GT40s produced today have properly and purpose-built designed suspensions that can produce unbeliveable levels of grip with proper wheels and tires. Some have improved dramatically on the 60s setup, which in its day was state of the art and is STILL ahead of 99% of what is available on production cars. Coupled with a mid-engine setup you should have a car that has wonderful balance and handling characteristcs. Attach a properly built SB Ford and you'll have more power than a Z06. Or, do a stroked SB for even more or, with the ERA MKII, do a 427 SO.

Furthermore, you can have better braking power with any of the replicas as well. And, you're going to have much less weight any way you look at it.

I have to agree this cannot be done for the $51,075 starting price of the Z06. But it can be done for not a whole lot more.

No, the GT40 replica probably won't (I say probably cause I know some folks here are planning some of thse) have a Bose stereo, power seats, On Star road assistance, CD, power windows, traction control, dynamic stability, ABS, and a cheap Chevy interior.

But, it will have all the sporting necessities which GT40s are about, engine, chassis, brakes, form, and function. The Z06 has these things as well, in a slightly different style, package, and level of intensity.

As for the new GT40, it looks nice but it has grown, gained weight, and been "neutered" for public consumption. I hope it does well and I might have to buy one too - but as for those competing with a good GT40 replica I don't think it will happen. Its going to have to go on a major weight loss diet to get into the #2200 range, as would the Z06.

Anyhow, just thought I'd toss my 0.02 into a good active debate!

R

[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp - Administrator ]

Back