Building GT40 Mark I from scratch

I see I am joining others of similar motivation! I am in the process of building a GT40 Mark I from scratch (yes - building every piece of the tub) using CAD drawings I have developed over the past 4 years after measuring #1032 at the Indy Museum (they gave me full access), Frann Kress's #1054, and Ellis Hubbards #1127. I acquired original rear uprights, radiator, oil pan, Webers, etc. to help it along. Using KVA body panels but would like to upgrade to RF or ERA body.
Looking for windshield, rear upright internals, door latches, headlites, the usual. I can e-mail pictures on request. Jim Dunham.

G

Any chance of making the CAD drawings available? Cost?

Thanks.

Greg

G

Hi Jim

What an undertaking. Hope it pans out well.

On the windscreeen front, Ray Christopher is advertising screens in our current issue of theclub mag that fit GTD bodyshells.

My thought is that whoever supplies you with the body ought to supply you with the screen as otherwise there could be subtle differences in shape. I beleive that a GTD screen won't fit a tornado body for example.

Now there was some connection in body shells between GTD and KVA a long time ago but I am not sure if the two marry up. Perhaps Chris Melia can advise as he seems knowledgeable in that department.

If you want to get away from a KVA body shell Mark Sibley is now offering complete body shells although these will be along the lines of GTD if not exactly the same. He most likely could supply a screen too.

I am aware that original car owners have purchased GTD panels for spares for their cars and used them to save the original body from damage. How well they fit is something I don't know. Ray would be able to tell you that.

Unfortunately I don't have contact numbers for these chaps in my office today, but if you do want to contact them pester me via email to give them to you.

Hope this is of help

Malcolm

G

Oh and another thing, in the previous issue of our mag, a member was advertising for sale a set of left hand drive headlights (£40 was the price if I remember correctly). Again, pester for contact details if required.

malcolm

Hello, !
All replicas has it roots in the KVA.
At least those that are sold on a larger scale/production.
With smaller differences due to "development" and copying, they are all about the same.(quality might be something else, but...)
Even ERA started out with one.
Wonder if/how they did to get it right ?
Looks correct?.
I am sorry to say, but all the kit´s developed from the KVA(most) are not correct bodywise (compared to the original.
Altough some companies advertise otherwise.
Even a original front screen does not fit..
(speaking MkI, as i am not sure about the MkIII´s, as well as the ERA MkII wich looks correct on pics...)
But the essance is still there...
They used the "MkIII" doors and therefore corrected the front piece for them.
That´s the most obvious difference.
And rear arches might tell.
Along with minor details wich can be hard to tell if you can not compare or have the know how.
Don´t get me wrong, i love the replicas as well as the originals.
Just to inform, because alot of people believe otherwise.
I truly hope i did not hurt anybody´s feelings with this enlightment...
Or that they don´t care(would be the best)
But as some people seems to seek info....

Regards,

Malcolm,

I would love to know about those left hand

drive headlights, as it took me 4 weeks to

get mine. Do you know the manufacturer and

part #?

Bill

Hi all, thanks for comments. Have not made decision on drawing availability. You can't really sell them since copies can just be made and handed out. My rear uprights are magnesium - found originals at a SAAC swap meet. Found my Webbers and Intake in Colarado, radiator from Fran Kress, etc. Yes, the windshield is a real tough one. I need one and I do know that Robert Ash makes them in Lexan (Pro-glas is his supplier) - might be a better way to go since you could trim to fit. I have concluded that the KVA front body work , doors, and roof are pretty close. The A-pillars are worng, The rear body work is pretty far off aft of the rear wheelhouse by just under 2". I am building my roof out of steel using the KVA roof as surrogate form. I'd like Mark's e-mail if possible. Sounds like he might have pieces I need.

Bill, !
What kind of head lights do you mean ?
There are a lot to choose from, depending on your taste !
Lucas ones that are pretty close in shape of glass.
Bosch that are pretty correct in glass shape, but are more shallow in lamp housing.
Valeo´s with proper housing but the wrong brand...
Cibié´s with proper housing and glass shape, but wrong brand.
Marchal´s proper shape but wrong design on glass "text"
Marchal´s with proper housing and glass, but with slightly different mountings.
Original GT40 Marchal´s with proper mountings, only found on GT40ies
Then there are of course others, but in my opinion something that fit´s the hole should be used ?...
Marchal was bought by Cibié in the 60s
Cibié/Marchal was bought by Valeo in the late 80s or so ?

Regards,

I was referring to the set in the previous post by Malcolm M.

My headlights are Hellas. I was just curious about what others are using.

Bill

M.B.

The Hella headlights that I used, incorporate a parking light, inside the lens.
The parking light is invisible until you turn
on your headlights.
I was forced by hole size constraints, to use this particular light, although in the
end, I am happy with them.
The only bad part was finding a headlight
to fit the apertures took 2 weeks, and delivery another 4 weeks.
I had to get them from Germany, as they
were originally designed for a BMW motorcycle! Standard Hella bulbs fit the housing.
I have the part # if you are interested.

Bill
smile.gif

Thanks, Bill.
Some versions of Marchal´s and Cibié´s have the same configuration as well.
Bosch might also have it.
There are also "car" Hella lights, maybe same as yours ?
Maybe a bit wider ?
It´s a good choice if your going to use spot lights etc..
And still be legal(a lot of countries demand this...)
H4 bulbs ?, then ?
Thanks for your offer, it could not hurt to be given info !

Regards,
smile.gif

Jim which one is the KVA which is the JWE
or are thay GTDs ???
you can go to far what`s 2" between friends
if it looks like a GT 40 get the tape-measure out. no way
regards Dick
fe139297.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M.B:
Maybe not Silverstone, on a secong thought !
Regards
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Wet Snetterton me thinks!
British Heart Foundation Charity Day 2001?

regards
PaulT

rolleyes.gif

Back