Repro VIN/CHASSIS NUMBER PLATES

Saw a GT40 repica fm OK that has a vin plate attaches to the inside left (port) firewall in the engine compartment that read:
Manufactured by
FORD ADVANCED VEHICLES
Slough, U.K.
GT40P / MARK- 1B
Chassis Number GT40PMK1B???FM?????

The owner said that it WAS a reproduction plate: I have emailed him to see where he got it. Does anyone know the source? Does it sound like a good reproduction (proper info?) cb

G

Chip,

I have answered your e-mail. There are actually two plates the one in question and another dash sized plate. Tey are of my own design based on information received from the GT40 club in the UK. MY price for these plates is $12.00 plus 8% sales tax plus approximately $.94 in postage and mailer costs. This brings the total to $13.90 and allowing a dime fee for gas and misc expenses, I'll send you a set for $14.00 total. The cost includes engraving of yourr VIN Number or you can have them engraved later at your covenience. Please allow a minimum of two weeks for my engraver to get them done.

Ben Miller

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: Ben Miller ]

MWGT40

Supporter
I bought a set of Ben and can confirm they are great! I am going to have mine stamped rather than engraved.

G

Chip, I bought a set of VIN plates from Ben and they are first rate! Fran Kress no longer had a source for the FAV plates when I last talked to him. He did have a few of the JW Automotives ones left. Ben's are WAY more affordable anyway. (For some reason, I felt a little more comfortable using FAV plates than JWA. Don't know exactly why, I just did.)

Fran also didn't have the Ford GT logo patches any longer. Ben is having some of these made as well.

What are the Ford GT logo patches? Metal or Fabric? What were they used for?

Also, what numbers are people using for their car: Sequence of letters/numbers? Copy of an original or "continuation" number? I thought of "R" for replica. Appreciate any info/suggestions. cb

G

The LOGO Patches are fabric patches about 5.5" in diameter that, as close as possible, replicate the "Ford GT" logo that sets in the steering wheel. Sample can be seen here.
Logo Patches

Brian Magee

Supporter
Why are people fitting FAV and JWA vin plates to their cars? Are they trying to kid people their cars are original?

My chassis plate (that I made myself) says GTD Supercars as does my tax disc. They are there for anyone to read. I am flattered if anyone asks me if it is an original but I am also proud to say that I built it myself.

Brian.

Ron Earp

Admin
In the US it complicated for titling purposes. It isn't that people want to pass it off as an original, but each state has different laws on emissions and regulations. Having the car as a 65 or 66 will allow one to bypass those laws (in some states). One way of having it as a 65 or 66 is to register it as what it replicates - a Ford GT. So, the need for VIN plates becomes somewhat necessary and the numbers and manufacturer need to be close to originals (in some states).

Suffice to say that the US has laws for everything (we learned it from you UK folks but we're not as good as you guys - yet) and the laws vary from state to state.

Ron

G

Brian, we've been all through the "is it real" issue some time ago. The FAV plates are just for a kick, by no means to try to pass my car off as original. I, too, am proud to have built my car.

Does your car have the double stipes with Ford GT in them on the rocker panels? If so, did you put the Ford GT on you car to make people think its real? The same could be said of anyone who puts a Ford blue oval emblem on their replica. The idea is that it is a replica and it makes it look like what you are replicating, that's all.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Lynn

Yes I do have FORD on my sill stripes for the same reason that I have a body that replicates the GT40 and a 289 Hi-Po engine and ZF gearbox, because I wanted my car to be as close to an original as possible. I like the idea that people may have doubts whether it it is real or not but the chassis plate and tax discs are there for all to see. At shows I do see a lot of people check the tax disc.

Brian.

G

For anyone interested I have the following items for sale:

2 sets of FVA VIN Plates
8 steering wheel badges
8 3" Jacket patches w/Ford GT Logo
8 5.5" Ford GT logo patches (Great for seat backs)

Details, prices and pictures of these items are available here. Patches/Badges/VIN Plates Pleaes note that I'm making NOTHING on these items as I am selling them at my cost + tax + mailing. Once these are gone, that's it.

Ben

Sorry I got all excited and didn't finish reading.
I do want 1 badge though.
Where do I send the money and how much to get it to PHX, AZ,
Thanks again
John

Ben,

See my note under "For Sale or Wanted", also my email to you.
I require one pair of VIN plates, and one Steering Wheel Badge.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks.

Hopefully this will be an image of Ben Miller's VIN plates

I give up!!!!

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Ben,
Santa (My wife) has just presented me with your VIN plates, and boss badge.
I was only allowed a quick look when they arrived - They are superb!
Once again, many thanks and a Very Merry Christmas to you and all on the Forum.
Good luck for 2003!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back