Not A Valid Host

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Test post - if this works, I'll be really happy !!

Wow - this is the first time I have got as far as previewing my post - let's see what happens now !

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Yee-Haa : it works ! I have been trying to post since the new BB went on line with no success - I kept getting the "This is not a valid host" error. I am running Symantec Internet Security Professional & have tried adjusting everything (including turning the firewall off completely) with no success - until now.

Ron, you must have waved the magic wand over something - we are back in contact - thanks !

Peter D.

Ron,
I am having the devil of a time trying to post a pic in the personal info section. What is the key that I am missing?How about regular postings? I have a web page through Bell South and they list with the pics in an album the info to post the pics but I keep getting an invalid picture type response. I have pics in a temp folder that are the right size but nothing happens when I try. I am sure it's something I have just overlooked.
Bill

Bill,

I had the same problem. Try shrinking the size of the photo,
and reducing the length of your signature. Too much data!
Hope it helps!

Bill

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Another test reply, after more fiddling with Symantec Personal Firewall - let's see ... !

Ah-Ha - this time I got as far as the Preview - now to see if it actually posts ...

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Bingo !

I think I have the "Not Valid Host" problem sorted out for users who have Symantec's Personal Firewall / Internet Security running :

1. Open the list of Web sites:
a. Open NIS or NPF.
b. Click Options.
c. Click Internet Security or Personal Firewall. (This step is not always needed.)
d. Click the Web Content tab.

2. Add a new Web site:
a. Click Add Site. A new site/domain box appears.
b. Enter the name of the site that you want to receive the referrer information and click OK. In this example, it will be www.gt40s.com. The site name appears in the left frame of the Options window.

3. Configure the new Web site:
a. Click the name of the new site.
b. Click the Global Settings tab.
c. In the "Information about visited sites" section, clear "Use default settings".
d. Click Permit.

4. Click OK to close the Options window.

For a full rundown, got to :

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/pfdocs/2002110811290836?Open

Good Luck !

Peter D. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I just went through this exercise, so if this goes, Peter's remedy works (I used to have to disable Norton to post).

Peter,

Thanks for the info. For those of you runnng Norton Internet Secutity the fix is quite similar.

First click "Norton Internet Secutity" on your Desktop, then click "Options" on the top menu bar. Then follow this sequence.

Click "Internet Seurity"
Click "Web Content" Tab
Click "Add Site" Button (Lower left)
Enter "www.gt40s.com"
Under the "Information on Visited Sites" section, UNCheck the "Use Defaults" Radio Button
Click the Permit Button.
Finally, Click "OK" and you're done.

Ben

Exellent.
Prior to this I had to disable Zone Alarm to post on the Forum. However, with these settings I do not receive the message 'reply posted, now returning you to the forum' or whatever it normally says.
Oh well one can't have everything!!

Ron Earp

Admin
From 750hp over on Club Cobra...

1. Open the list of Web sites:
a. Open NIS or NPF.
b. Click Options.
c. Click Internet Security or Personal Firewall. (This step is not always needed.)
d. Click the Web Content tab.

2. Add a new Web site:
a. Click Add Site. A new site/domain box appears.
b. Enter the name of the site that you want to receive the referrer information and click OK. In this example, it will be www.gt40s.com. The site name appears in the left frame of the Options window.

3. Configure the new Web site:
a. Click the name of the new site.
b. Click the Global Settings tab.
c. In the "Information about visited sites" section, clear "Use default settings".
d. Click Permit.

4. Click OK to close the Options window.

Hope this helps!

Even with all this I couldnt figure my Norton personnal firewall out untill i got a virus today when i disabled and posted. Mine is similar although different enough to scew me up for a while.
1. Open NPF
2. Click options
3 I now have 2 tabs, general and tray menu, select general
4. Click advanced options
5. add www.gt40s.com then click on it
6. click on the privacy tab and change everything in it to permit,
and if you are reading this then it worked

Thanks for the help with Norton IS. If your reading this it worked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back