Permissions

I am having difficulty getting permission to make and reply to posts in some forums.
It works OK in All GT40s and obviously this one, but permissions is labelled 'You cannot start new topics' and 'You cannot reply to topics' on the Builders Forum and a number of others. In GT40 cars For Sale, I can reply to posts but can't start new ones! In GT40 Parts For Sale, I can do both. What's going on?
Is the forum filling up? Do we have restrictions on where we can post? Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

I cannot reply to the builders forum either.

Tried to reply to Paul Walton's post on the Builders forum yesterday and again today without any luck but could reply to Jerry on the RF forum.

Ron Earp

Admin
Folks might have missed it but there are forums that are "supporters only". They are:

The builders forum
Cars for sale
The Gallery

Got to have something special for the forum supporters and it seemed that most are happy with this. Hope that doesn't cause any problems for you folks,

Ron

So, how does one become a 'supporter'?
How long as this discrimination been in place?
I would have liked to have known, rather than find out when I wanted to post a reply.

Ron, could you mark all 'Supporters only' threads as such, so we 'non-supporters'(?) know not to waste our time trying to reply to them.

Hi Tony
I think Ron was referring to becoming a subscriber. Theres more info in the 'sticky' thread in ALL GT40s.
hope this helps

Clayton

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Tony,

Sorry to find you're offended with the way we've done this but I was thinking that most everyone read the "Supscriptions/Donations" thread some time ago.

There aren't "supporters only threads", just supporters only areas - you can't post anything in these areas. Not reply or start new topics, unless someone has hacked your user name and persmissions. These ares are:

The Builders Forum
The Gallery
GT40 Cars For Sale

Each of these forum descriptions has a short blurb that says something like members only, supporters only, although I know it could be more explict.

Again, I hope this doesn't cause you to dislike the forum. We aren't forcing members to contribute as we wish the forum to be free. But, I think there has to be some special areas for supporters to post in recognition. These three areas seemed to be good choices for various reasons:

Cars for sale - because we've got lots of one post wonders that come to just sell their car. They should pay something for the privledge of advertising to the most highly concentrated GT40 community anywhere.

The Gallery - pictures use 85% of the forum bandwidth and are the reason why hosting is over $100 month. So, if you want to post 100 pictures of your car for people to see then supporting that bandwidth if a good idea, although I know most don't do it which is fine too.

The Builders Forum - Builders, as a general rule are happy to be here, that is why I started the forum, to get help or show their progress. And as such I know those members of DRBs, RFs, GTDs, CAVs, and other "building" cars will be happy to support for the use of a builders forum.

Hope this helps,
Ron

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Ron
I have a problem with this too.I don't have a rising star and feel like a leper. when I saw these stars appearing I felt negative about contributing as I feel it's a form of goading. The other problem I have is with at least one manufacturer using the forum as a sales vehicle.$100 a month
would be chicken feed for him alone to contribute considering the free exposure he gets.Please don't take this as a personal attack Ron as you have done a good job with it and I have enjoyed contributing and collecting info for myself.
Regards Ross

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, I can see your point. I mean, we could make it anonymous on the donations part. The basic plan was to have the forum cost me nothing out of pocket and we've managed that two years running, 2003 and 2004.

Now, as for manufacturers RF contributes the manufactuers rate once per year and this offers him a forum for his builders/cars. The other manufacturers have been asked the same but none have responded. My feelings thus far: Tornado, Andy Sheldon seems to not want to be involved with the forum as far as I can tell. His choice. CAV is understandably re-forming so I can see where they haven't decided to support us or not and the man guy I spoke with about support, Bob Lacey, is not distributing for them. DRB has not responding about having one either, although they inquired about a month ago. ERA's Bob Putman comes on here from time to time and offers helpful advice but I don't think they sell enough GT40s to really need a ERA/Builder's forum as they are low-volume.

Yes, if the manufacturers supported the forum as a group then we'd need no indivdual support at all to cover running costs. But, I don't like to see folks using it as a sales tool either, however, it is a free speech forum and people just have to read and remember that. The All GT40 is the only "anything goes" type area and I'm determined the tech forums will be free and clear of everything but tech info.

R

Ron.....
Its just fine as it is.

The rest of you tightwads.....
Stop being precious and more to the point.....divvi-up.
This forum must save you loads of money.

In the few months I have been online I have.....

1) Found and purchased a good car.
2) Found Frank Catt who is doing some excellent work on it for me.
3) Bought parts from tried and tested sources which I would not have hitherto known about.
4) Shifted spare bits I no longer need and would have been stuck with.
5) Located and joined the relevant owners clubs.
6) Enjoyed the wealth of knowledge from folk who have been doing it for years.
7) oh it goes on for ever........Top Forum....absolutely invaluable resource for anyone GT40-minded.....how anyone can NOT subscribe to keep it going is beyond comprehension.

Must have the deepest pockets and the shortest arms in Motorsport !

[ QUOTE ]
Must have the deepest pockets and the shortest arms in Motorsport !

[/ QUOTE ]
Now how has a quasi-technical query about permissions turned into a rant about meanness?

While agreeing with everything you say about the value of the forum, Barry, it must and should remain an individual's choice whether or not to contribute. Otherwise it would be a subscription-only forum with a vastly reduced scope and membership. We may think what we like about non-subscribers, but comment is inappropriate.
Ron, thank you for your patient and detailed handling of my query. I read the threads about subscriptions at the time, but didn't make the connection when I thought something had changed in the software.

Ron Earp

Admin
I agree with Tony - the forum is and shall remain free, at least for the necessary parts. I personally appreciate the folks that contribute to the forum so that we have money for the server and to get software upgrades when they become available. One reason I use this Forum software is many ad-ons are free, which I've done, it just requires time for installs which I mainly handle myself.

Now a few people gave money last year but unfortunately, I cannot easily add these folks manually. I wish I could, so they'd have access and the star etc., but the damn software seems to screw up when I try to manually add folks that don't go the PayPal route.

I also wish I could accept non-PayPal donations, but with so many of us being overseas I can't accept overseas checks. Anyhow, it isn't that important as we're doing okay.

However, as brought up before the manufactuers get the biggest bang for the buck here but so far only one supports the forum. I really don't push the manufactuers one way or the other, but it seems to me that'd be a perfect venue for them.

I'm just damn glad we have the forum, it has lasted as long as it has, and it seems to be a solid place on the web. I still enjoy running it and the folks here are fantastic down to the last member. I know there are scuffles every now and again, but we've got a tame, professional, and polite group compared to some places and I like that it has turned out that way. Not only that, we've got a serious knowledge base here that is untouchable as far as GT40 knowledge goes and very strong for car building in general. You guys should be proud of what you've made.

Ron

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I agree with Barry's sentiments 100%

How can anyone seriously interested in GT40's object to paying about the same annual price as an average motoring magazine subscription in order to support the ultimate source of info on their chosen passion ?

Let's face it, 20-50 bucks a year is chicken-feed when you have a look at your credit card account & see what the better-half does with impulse purchases on a weekly basis!

Come on guys - cough up !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I agree with Peter and Barry, this forum has been invaluable
to me and is worth every penny of the small amount I donated.
Ron is just covering his costs and that does not include the many hours of time I assume he spends. For those of you who don't want to contribute its your choice, but dont whinge because you are excluded from posting in a couple of areas.

David

Lifetime Supporter
Whinge?

Ok, I lived in England for three years in the early 70's and thought I had heard most of the expressions you guys from the land of Vegemite use, but whinge? Maybe in the U.S. it would be whine?

David Lowell

Re: Whinge?

I thought a whinge was a part Holden used instead of a hinge so as to get that characteristic creaking noise they make when the doors open and close. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tim.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Whinge?

A whinge is also what one does the morning after they have
been out on a binge!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back