Changes to the forum

Hi Ron,

It looks like some changes were made to the forum tonight; I'm still trying to figure out exactly what changed. One thing I did notice is a nice feature no longer exists. It used to be if you clicked on a thread that you had already viewed you were taken to the bottom of the thread where the new posts are. Now you start at the top and have to scroll down. The old feature was prettty neat - can we bring it back?

There have been quite a few changes to the forum! Here's just a few from a 10 minute scout around:
1. The list of who is on line has been moved to the Entrance page. My Favourites is set to the Main Index, so I very rarely visit the Entrance. Now I don't know who else is on line.
2. Red Hot Topics seems to have disappeared, as has Post a Shout and everything else that used to be on the right side of the Main Index page.
3. You have to log on to see the last 24 hours' posts (This was a very useful way of keeping track of latest developments if you hadn't time to log on. Now you can't).
4. Custom colour schemes appear to have gone.
5. SOME posts with pictures as attachments don't show them. You have to click on 'Attachments' before the pic appears in a separate box.
6. You can search for attachments from the Entrance page (top lhs), but you have to know the name of the attachment, and people give some of the pics they put on the forum some pretty weird names!
7. After the header for a new topic has been downloaded, the rest of the threads take A LOT longer to come down. You are left staring at very little for a long time.
8. As Mark mentions, you don't go straight to the thread you clicked on, but have to scroll down to it.
9. The box for composing replies is very small and the script is tiny and doesn't appear to be customisable.
Ron, we are a pretty conservative bunch, and I for one liked the forum just the way it was. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Please can we have our old forum back?

I have to agree.
I haven't come across all the problems mentioned above. MAybe I've got something set slightly different. But I haven't found anything BETTER in this new format yet.
Ron, has anything changed for the better? If not, can I also suggest we go back to where we were. Nice try, but I'm afraid I can't see any advantage in this, yet.
Cheers

Ron Earp

Admin
Fellows,

Hang fire for a bit, will ya?

The forum software that I use, that you cannot see, was corrupted and it was to the point where I could not add new forums nor could I re-arrange old ones. Also, new users were getting dropped and some folks' logins were not working either. In short, it was sinking.

I had a fellow I know upgrade it to the newest version (at a fee of course) and I've yet to go in and set all the default settings that you are used to. I'll be working on that over the next few days so just hang tight. No information has been lost and shortly, it'll be back to close to what you had before.

Boy, I bet your wives have a hard time introducing a new change around the house! ;-)

Trust me, be patient, it'll be back the way it was, mostly, with some tangible improvements - one of which is the quick reply at the end of each thread - makes it easy for you to respond while logged in.

[ QUOTE ]
Hang fire for a bit, will ya?

[/ QUOTE ]
Take it as a compliment that we all care enough about this forum to make such a fuss about it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I'm also very relieved that the change wasn't brought in for change's sake. It WAS broke, so you fixed it.
Well done, Ron, we'll all look forward to getting the old style forum back when you can reset the defaults - and Quick Reply is great!
My wife changes anything around the house that I allow her to!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I for one kinda enjoyed fumbling through the new formatting, albeit familiar. Being a creature of habit, it’s nice to be proded once in a while to new experiences. I also was muttering discontentment under my breath until I realized how long it had been since navigating through all the options available in “My Home”. Thanks Ron, keep up the good work.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I like it also. The only thing I miss is the box on the side that told me if I had PMs. It also showed who was online and what they saw me as, but that stuff I don't miss. It may still show me if I have PMs somewhere, but I haven't had any to see it yet.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
"all read" button in the main page, in the future? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Joseph and others, it is not finished. I have to take a trip, last minute, thus I'll get to it over the weekend. Hold your horses.

It isn't a question of voting or what you like, this is the way it will have to be, sorry. This is the new software, the old software was collapsing and was not supported any longer. I know you guys didn't see it since you don't have to fool with it, but when it collapsed it was going to take all the info with it and no more forum. It should be possible to make this one behave as closely as possible to the old version but it will take some work.

Ron

Ron, I can't believe the amount of work that you guys are willing to do for the love of gt40's. I like the old format because I am use to it. But as you point out the issue is having a good forum about our favorite cars. Keep up the good work. I enjoy it every day.

Yeah Ron,
What's the deal with the Calendar?
Is this some new high tech forum computer thing.
I think this is Bullsh*t. Who the hell do you think you are "improving" the site?
Upgrades are one thing but a Calendar is another! This is where I draw the line. I can no longer be a part of such a forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Alright all joking a side, keep up the good work. Thanks for handling my favorite site.
Just imagine what everyone would have said when it changed fron the original formate to what it is now.
Boy how it's grown in a few years.
John

Ron

Like many who have written before i do not like this format.

But i am willing to put up with anything so long as this forum continues.

I look at it every day and i have gained an enormous amount of information and ideas about my 'future' project.

Keep up the good work and do whatever you see fit to enable this baby to live on and grow.

JohnJ

Ron Earp

Admin
Fellow,

What specifically do you not like?

The Forum looks exactly the same to me as it did before, maybe you need to change the stylesheet under your personal profile. By forum I mean "Main Index", which you can click upon and you must have figured out if you're reading this.

The front Entrance page is all buggered up at the moment, that I know, and I will be fixing that over the weekend. But the forum looks the same. So, ignoring the front entrance page what has changed?

Guys,

Give Ron a break, will you?

He has been kind enough to spend loads of his time building this forum into what it is today. A few minor glitches are to be expected. Be patient! Either he will get around to satisfying your particular tastes, or you will get used to
way the forum is set up now.
Considering the ratio of expense vs. value, nobody has ANY room to complain!

Ron deserves an "ATTABOY!", not a bunch of whining!

Bill

David

Lifetime Supporter
You are definately getting the forum together again!!! Now, if you would move the "Mark All Read" button on the Main Forum page and make it so when you click on a post, you are automatically taken to the first unread message!

My wish list, but I agree that as long as the forum keeps going, I will love it in any format you believe is the best!

Thanks for all your work.

David Lowell

Back