Thoughts on "For Sale" Section

Ron Earp

Admin
Thoughts on \"For Sale\" Section

I probably get a message every couple of weeks about the "Parts For Sale" section asking "Shouldn't people that post there be donators/supporters?"

Reason is that some profit from the forum whilst not contributing in any way - posts or donations or anything - just simply posting wares and reaping the benefits of a captive audience.

On the other hand, the way I've looked at it, is that folks can post parts for sale and it contributes to the usefulness of the forum. Therefore, I've always left it alone.

Opinions or suggestions?

Ron

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Re: Thoughts on \"For Sale\" Section

Hello Ron !!
I am very much in favor of that idea. Where else can someone get such a captive audience specializing in these kind of parts for such a small amount of money. I am a firm beleiver that the forum should benefit, from any ads. You have only made this a better place with continious upgrades. I have seen on other forums where someone will post in the wrong section, just to avoid having to be a supporting member. In my book it's just cheap advertizing, and well worth it.
Regards Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen on other forums where someone will post in the wrong section, just to avoid having to be a supporting member. In my book it's just cheap advertizing, and well worth it.
Regards Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That has happened here a number of times, in fact, a forum member brought it to my attention a few weeks ago. I deleted the post on the car because I've been enforcing it on cars for sure. Just haven't done so on parts, but more than a few members have brought the part thing up.

Ron

PLEASE punish them, they MUST pay. I am one of the cheapest members of this forum, I PAY. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

Charlie Farley

Supporter

Its all well and good charging to advertise 'Parts for Sale'
However, i got a batch of lever switches - Lucas, and was going to offer them to fellow Forum members at cost.
Im not against joining and paying to post Sale ads, its just that the cost to me goes up.
Thus im forced to recoup some of the posting cost and it reflects in the price.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

Charlie,
I think that is just part of the "nature" of making a forum work - it won't be perfect for everyone. I get emails from time to time over it with one camp saying "I'm doing a service" and the other saying "They should pay to advertise, I pay to support and have the forum and they reap benefits". In the end, think of it as supporting the forum so we have the place and not as paying for advertising. I put time into the forum, lots of it, to make it work smoothly and simply don't want the form to cost me money as well as time. Best,

Ron

Chris Kouba

Supporter

Charley-

Actually, everyone who keeps up on new posts will know you now have a few lever switches to give away. There's no such thing as bad publicity...

Next time just post something in All GT40's or Off Topics. If the switches are free, I'd be willing to bet that no one would cry about it- I certainly wouldn't and I doubt any of the faithful would either.

Chris

Ron Earp

Admin

Hi Chris,

They may not complain, and neither would I, but, as moderator I must move all posts that don't belong in the location they are posted. Part of housekeeping duties on the site and regardless if I think it petty to do so, it keeps everyone playing from the same rules. If I didn't do it for one, but did it for others, no matter how small, then we might as well not have any rules or categories for forums.

Ron

I look at at it this way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soapbox.gif If you a regular participant here - exchanging information with other like minded people, it makes sense for you to contribute to the upkeep of the forum (it doesn't need to be much). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif That is whether you receive more or pass on more, whether you are in it to pass on things for your own delight, or to help out as a benevolent old hand. Even if you a just a regular lurker picking up news. At the end of the day if you look in at least once a week then I would like to think that you enjoy this place being here, and would like to contribute to keep it here. Then if you have something like those switches to pass on (there you are, mentioned again), you are free to post it, even if it was in a restricted area.

So come on, I know Ron doesn't need it at the moment, but how about it? Do you visit here once a week or more? Do you enjoy visiting? Would you miss it if Ron wasn't here sorting out all the s**t behind the scenes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif Then you know what you need to do. Click on that Donations button at the top of the page.

Then the only people who would complain would be people who are just here for the publicity, and want it for free. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford

Ron Charge for all advertising and try and get enough money to pay for a personal secretary to help sort out all the rubbish we post --a replica of Angelina Jolie would probably be the best way to go.

Charlie Farley

Supporter

Points taken onboard.
Ive donated and ill think of it as giving something back to Ron, for his time and effort.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter

[ QUOTE ]
Im not against joining and paying to post Sale ads, its just that ........

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Charlie, that little opinion ended costing ya, eh. That'll teach ya to keep your thoughts to youself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

(just joking with ya) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif Hey isn't the 'checkered flag' what it's all about anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I've attempted to contribute to the Forum but I didn't get a reply. I don't have paypal and won't have it especialy to make one contribution one time. I assume that since I don't conform then my contribution isn't welcome, Wayne

Back