Builders Thread

Ron Earp

Admin
I was recently in the company of some fine GT40s.com members and long-time GT40 icons in the industry. One fellow suggested that we have it such that the build threads in the builders forum be "fixed" so that only the builder can post on it. Something like a build diary that only the creator could post on.

The feeling was that the thread would be more focused, and, the questions that people ask like "why did you use WXY for brake lines and not QRS?" etc. would be asked in their respective forums thus building the knowledge base.

Comments?

I am not sure if I can even rig that up on this forum software, but it probably can be done. New software can definitely do it and you can see some forums in action running it here:

http://www.fusionbb.com/forum/showforum.php?fid/40/

Click on a various links there that go to other sites running the new software to see what it can do.

Sounds good to me.

I and others unwttingly added to Chris Melia's "Raiders of the Lost Ark" thread, although I saw later that Chris expressly asked for no replies (sorry Chris mate). There's so much to talk about on a project like this that it's so easy (and human nature) to go off topic.

There's only one drawback as I see it. It's also human nature to be lazy, so someone may have a worthwhile comment to make on a builder's thread and then forget (or decide they can't be bothered) to start a new thread. At the moment it's so very easy just to click 'reply'.

But if the technology's available, why not?

My 2 cents.

I added twice...... I should be banned:)

Ironically my first post on Chris's thread was to point out to people who had posted that Chris had requested people not to post. I posted a second time because I felt I needed an answer to an important question (to me anyway) specifically from Chris, I was not sure if he looked at other threads.

My personal feeling (for what it is worth) is that as long as the comments are worth while and on thread topic they only add to the thread. Comments like 'cool car, man' don't help anyone.

But in saying that, it was Chris's thread, he make the rules..... so sorry mate!

Cheers Neil

I liked the comments on my build pics - they help you keep going through the darker days that you have in the garage. There are lots of points in the build where you get bored and feel you aren't getting anywhere and have taken on a bit too much. With a few encouraging words it gets you motivated again the comments posted are all a part of my build, this isn't a museum. Maybe certain members should set up their own websites if they don't want comment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Ron, if it is not too much trouble perhaps the builders web page can be setup with an option for the builder to choose to allow comments or not. Either way it doesn't matter. I'm sure if Chris or any other builder gets annoyed at the comments than he/she will stop adding to the thread and maintain a record of his/her build elsewhere.

Hi Guys

my point was to give a photographic continuous detail of the original parts and assembly without diversion. I was quite happy for any questions to be posted in a separate thread.
I wanted to make it a point of reference for others looking to build original styled mono's as the numbers are growing.

So yes I would like it to be kept without comment please, but please start a related thread for questions/answers and suggestions and I will try my best to answer and take advice from

Regards

Chris.

Scott McDill

Supporter
I like Greggs Idea if the software will allow. Otherwise I would also prefer to have the thread only available to the builder.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I'm with Paul, Pete & Ron on this - the feedback I got through the process was invaluable & fun (if that word can be used in conjunction with building a 40) !

Paul's comments are particularly relevant : if some people want to simply place an uninterrupted "museum" record of what they did, just let them do it in the Gallery (with no comments allowed). If people would like some constructive comments / criticism / humour / encouragement, keep it in the Builder's thread.

Just my 2 cents worth !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I like the interaction and learn a ton from the Q's & A's in the posts. If this is an issue for more than one person, leave it all as-is, and let's try to respect Chris' wishes to leave THAT thread clean and run a separate one for feedback. My /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

I have posted my build pics with the hopes I would get some feedback because, to me anyway, I'd like to have someone provide constructive recommendations and suggestion. It's hard to keep threads on topic for the entire build but if people could refrain from hi-jacking or going way off topic, it would cut down on the interuptions which in turn will keep the focus on the build.

Chris

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Ron--I was one of those lurkers for quite a while and only recently registered. As a newbie I can assure you that I am still working my way through all the forums. I'm with Mark C. and Peter D.--having access to the Q's and A's and jabs and even the occasional flame job has been one of the things that attracted me to the forum the most. I say keep it like it is, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif, for what it's worth.

YD,E./PNB

I just happened to stumble onto the Gt40 site and noticed that, I think it was you, who wanted to put 351C heads on a windsor block. The discussion went to the track boss by B&A who is out of business. I found a place called Price Motorsport Engineering who makes a lot of different combinations for this type of modification. You can find them at Pricemotorsports.com They are not cheap but cheaper and easier than finding the hen's teeth, gold plated boss intakes. I hope this helps anyone that wants to look into the windsor/cleveland swap.. Mike Doria and old left turner.

Ron Earp

Admin
Mike,

This thread that Doug has posted on happened to be in the forum help section dealing with forum issues only. You need to post on the appropriate thread thread dealing with the Clevor motor etc. if you wish to participate in the discussions and help out.

Thanks,
Ron

Back