How to post pictures, step by step instructions

Help.....

As some of you may have noticed in: CAV-Getting the Power to the Ground-Part VI I have not had much luck posting pictures since the new forum software came online. Any help with step by step instructions to post pictures would be appreciated. My posts do not make much sense without pictures. Here is what I am currently doing. What steps am I missing?

I was over the 15 meg total attachment limit and so I deleted 5 meg of pictures that were not important. I now have about 10 meg total of attachments with 5 meg available.

The pictures I am trying to post have been resized to 800 x 600 and reduced to less than 39K.

I use the Post Reply button and put in the desired text without a problem.
I then go to the Additional Options / Attach Files section and open the Manage Attachments window. I use the browser button to select a picture from a directory on my computer.

Once the picture is selected, I use the upload button, internet activity starts, and the picture is apparently uploaded.

I close the Manage Attachments window and then click on the Submit Reply button under Additional Options.

The text message always uploads and gets posted on the forum but the picture is not included.

I know I must be doing something wrong but I cannot figure out the correct method.

The only possibility I imagine is that even though I deleted 5 megs of attachments to make space, the system may not have recognized the change, has not given me credit for the deleted pictures, and does not allow the new picture.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Childress

Ron Earp

Admin
I'll see what I can do. In the meantime it'd be helpful if you'll resize your avatar to 80x80. Thanks,
Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Test Picture Post

Attachments

• oops.jpg
    oops.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 369
Ron,

You must have a clone. I cannot believe you have a full time job AND are so responsive to the forum.

Please will check to make sure my attachment limit is not being exceeded and I will try again next hour. Obviously you had no trouble.

Thank you once again for your help.

Bob

Ron Earp

Admin
Nope, phone job some days and I multitask. Please see about reducing the avatar, people will have to do them manually. Mine is as big as they should get, or we'll remove them all together.

R

My avatar has been changed to the Official US Postal Service approved size.

Here is a post attempt with a 640 pixel 37K picture. If the picture is here then I am ok now. If not, then I am still in the soup (chicken noodle).

Bob

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

As Bob said, vBulletin apparently gives everyone a certain "quota" of space for attachments. Once you've exceeded your quota, you can't upload any more. I think the "standard" quota is only 300 or 400K.

I deleted all my previous pic uploads and am trying a test photo here. This looks like it worked OK. It's a 640x480 res photo of 68K file size. Not a GT40, but still fast ;-)

John

Attachments

• P1010109a.JPG
    P1010109a.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 386

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Question: if your quota is filled and you delete them, does that remove them completely from the threads they were initially assigned too?

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Yep, I just confirmed mine are gone from the thread where I posted them just after joining the forum. No harm done for me - I'm just a newbie, but for people who have posted megabytes of photos for others' benefit, it's probably not a good idea to delete them. Maybe this quota parameter can be disabled.....

Ron Earp

Admin
Try it now fellows, found a new limit and changed around to NO LIMIT - but this will not stay. Some members do not support the forum but are responsible for a large percentage of the bandwidth used here. See if it works and please report back.

Back