Resizing Images for the Forum

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Image Resizer is a handy MS PowerToys applet that does a good job of resizing photos for posting. Much easier and faster than launching PhotoShop or one of the other huge programs just to do a simple task. MS PhotoEditor does the same thing, albeit not as simply as Image Resizer, nor will it do batches of files.

Here's where you can download Image Resizer.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Then if it doesn't work after you install it (AMHIK), you can patch your registry with this fix:

Go to the command prompt and type in:

REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL

After doing the above, Image Resizer now works like a charm!

Right click on any jpg or groups of jpg's and you'll see a new context sensitive command "Resize Images"

John
I use a program called Irfanview, works like a charm, and is a free download. Also has some other neat features like color balancing, sharpening the image and red eye removal...lots more too.
Cheers
Phil

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Irfan view is awsome, lots of free plug ins for viewing most any file format. Excellent for doing things like re-size, and simple image work. Also has a nice slide show feature and I think you can do bulk operations on images.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Mark -

You can do it if you start the IrfanView Thumbnails application. I think you will have to start it seperatly from the windoze menu. Once you do you can select a bunch of files (visually) then use the File Menu (or B) "Start Batch Dialog with selected images" You will get a new window and on the lower left is a button that says "Set Advanced Options". Click it and you should see options for "RESIZE", set the new size and you are good to go. I would pratice on some sample images to make sure you don't loose anything...

I'm not sure if you can do it from the main IrfanView, but that is how I did it with the thumbnails app they supply.

HTH

Sandy

Sandy said:
You can do it if you start the IrfanView Thumbnails application. [...] Once you do you can select a bunch of files (visually) then use the File Menu (or B) "Start Batch Dialog with selected images"

I'm not sure if you can do it from the main IrfanView, but that is how I did it with the thumbnails app they supply.

The same process works from the main IrfanView app.

For those folks who don't have IrfanView for Windows, you can get it from http://www.irfanview.com (it's a free).

Image Resizer is a handy MS PowerToys applet that does a good job of resizing photos for posting. Much easier and faster than launching PhotoShop or one of the other huge programs just to do a simple task. MS PhotoEditor does the same thing, albeit not as simply as Image Resizer, nor will it do batches of files.

Here's where you can download Image Resizer.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Then if it doesn't work after you install it (AMHIK), you can patch your registry with this fix:

Go to the command prompt and type in:

REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL

After doing the above, Image Resizer now works like a charm!

Right click on any jpg or groups of jpg's and you'll see a new context sensitive command "Resize Images"

John,
Just found this. Nice tip. Works great!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Another one that works is to upload your photos to a free Photobucket account and set the image size to 800x600. It will automatically re-size the photos *and* host them for you to post here on GT40s...

If I have a photo that i want to post I upoload it to Photobucket after I have adjusted the brightness and contrast on my computer. I don't adjust the photo size at all. If I want to post the pic I go to photobucket and place the cursor over the pic. I then left click on the direct link choice and then right click it and choose copy. I then go to the "reply to thread", put the cursor where I want the pic, click on the mountain scene and past the direct link in it and click go/O K and it apears in the post automaticly resizing the photo. If you resize the pic before you post it, it may turn out very small if you use the insert link button. Using the insert link button to post, the forum will automaticly resize it for you also.

Bill

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Google's picasa is a freeware editing and organization tool. Best freebie I've seen

picasa.google.com/

Back