Posting GT40s for sale on eBay

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
The other day I saw another CAV for sale on eBay and started to, as usual, copy the url for the posting into the eBay Marketplace section of the classifieds. It struck me that may be I shouldn't do this. We have a section in the GT40 Market Place for cars that are for sale, but we require that the poster be a supporter of the forum. Now if a non-support knows that I or someone else will post his eBay auction url in the eBay Marketplace section, there is no incentive to become a forum supporter.

The amount of money we are talking about to qualify as a "forum supporter" really is a pitance; especially in light of the value of a GT40 replica. So, I reckoned, for me to post a non-supporters auction info negates the priviledge that forum supporters enjoy in being able to advertise their cars for sale here and why I should I help him/her sell their car when they haven't seen fit to help out the forum. I do plan to let any sellers know about the opportunity to become a supporter and advertise their car on GT40s.com.

The downside is that someone looking for a GT40 to purchase may not be made aware of a car for sale. But the fact is that anyone seeing my post obviously has access to the internet and can search eBay on their own. I am going to assume, then, that anyone who really wants a car will be looking on eBay anyway and I will not post anymore cars for sale. I do have saved searches on eBay for all manner of components and parts and I will continue to post interesting finds in hopes it will help someone.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Regards,
Lynn

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Lynn,

At the risk of getting in trouble with some statements I'll throw in my 0.02 cents. There are a lot of CAVs out there. They change hands pretty frequently on Ebay it appears and a lot of the CAVs in the US reside in the hands of folks that are not members of our forum. I think a good many of the cars went to folks that thought a GT40 replica was a neat car and that was that - just bought it to try it out. Many forum members would not consider these owners "real" GT40 enthusiasts and many would consider these types owners different from the CAV owners that post a lot and interact on the forum. These short term owners sell their car to move on to the next thing and won't place the cars for sale here because in general they don't know about us. So, my point is I don't think the forum is losing anything on most of these transactions.

I think you should post them. If anything it keeps members informed of relative worth of cars and allows us all to track them quickly. I generally click on your Ebay GT40 links, not to buy, but to see what one is going for and I think other members do so as well. Ditto the parts - I might not be buying a 930 transaxle right now, but it is nice to know in my head what one might go for so when someone calls me or emails me I have a rough idea. I appreciate you posing the stuff, it is good to see IMHO.

Ron

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I agree with you as well Ron, for exactly the same reasons. It's nice of Lynn to consider the potential negative impact on the forum, but I think the posts do provide interest and help to potentially widen the number of owner-enthusiast, which is a bigger up-side (IMHO).

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
It would be good if more 40 owners, buyer and sellers would financially support the forum and help grow this good resource.

It's interesting to see value develop in relation to the various models, manufacturers and builds. Over the course of time, the market will help determine price based on certain factors. For the 40, those factors will impact owners on the forum. There seems to be a strata forming with the 40 just like marques such as Ferrari and Pantera. Ferrari has leaders and followers based on performance, availability and authenticity. Pantera has a big difference with rust-free cars and cars that need to be stripped down and go on the rotisserie. The market has become well aware of those factors and desirability on the part of many owners and enthusiasts matches the market. It looks like the various 40 models are developing a unique set of factors and the forum makes those factors more easily accessible.

Having said that, I think that sellers have an ethical obligation to help with a little $$ if their car winds up on the forum.

Hello everyone,

Me being a new member, I find myself coming to this web site as an information source.

Before I buy anything, I do my research and price comparisons to ensure I have made the right choice on what I wanted to buy, and bought it for the best price out there.

Without this forum, the educational process on GT40's in general would be a much bigger task.

For me, I believe posting a link for any GT40s for sale will help validate the reason why this web site is here......to help educate and inform everyone about the pulse of what is happening in the world of GT40s. (I guess I just said the same thing that Ron posted.)

This is a big "Thank You" for all those people that share information here.

Gary Kadrmas

I agree...Posting cars for sale does help all of us,(with or without ) cars right now, and helping others is what this all about. After all we all share the same passion for GT40's, posting can only help.

Back