Members vs: Guests ?

Having been a guest to this site for awhile to check it out, I eventually became a member. No regrets. I think this site is wonderful.

Being a member now, I usually view the number of members on line, and the number of guests on line. The numbers of guests usually out number the members by quite a bit.

So why do guests hesitate to become members? Would it be:

___ I do not own a GT40. And never will.

___ I do not know enough about a GT40 to become a member?

___ I got into trouble on another web site, & I will not do that again?

___ I will never have enough money to own a GT40?

___ I just like to look around?

I think newer members could chime in here and post their comments, and it could be a possible way to grow the community. A learning experience.

Thank you in advance for your time and information.

Gary Kadrmas

Hi Gary -

I too have noticed this but have assumed it is probably where people just 'pop in' whilst at work to keep up to date with posts... If the pc clear's it's history, it will not automatically log you in as a member when you re-visit. When out on iT work, if I visit on a client's pc (to test their internet access of course...;) ), I generally would appear as a guest, but if I'm using my laptop, or PC at home, then they both log me in correctly..

So as Gary asks, do you generally log in as a member or a guest??

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't log in a good bit of the time while reading either due to using another computer in the house. There are a lot of folks who do the same, but also a few of those "guests" are search engine bots as well. Sometimes there are as many as 5-10 of those at any one time, each just shows as a Guest.

Ron

I log in all the time, PC's I use are all set to remember log in details. That way I can view new posts, check PMs etc easily.

Keith, check your in box :D

Keith

John W said:
I log in all the time, PC's I use are all set to remember log in details. That way I can view new posts, check PMs etc easily.

Keith, check your in box :D

:pepper:

Hello,

The responses from everyone have provided answers to my original question.

Thank you to all.

Its tuff when you get answers to your question and realize your question and your rating as a Rookie with a rep power of 1 suggest the distinguished road you are on is there for a reason.

Ya learn something new everyday. Its just slower for old farts.

Gary Kadrmas

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
roaldin said:
I never log in to read, only to post. I expect others would behave in similar fashion.

Tim.

If you just X out rather than logging out, you won't need to log in the next time you visit the forum. The forum software will recognize your unique address and welcome you by name, list recently received PM's, and if you click on New Posts you will get only those you haven't read. It's a cool feature.

Now back to the topic at hand:

I was a lurker/guest for some time before I joined, and the reason it took me a while was two-fold. I like to view a forum for a while before I join to get an idea of the "personality" each forum has. In addition to that, I waited until I knew I would be comfortable joining the community--technical knowlege, opportunities for input, etc. There was also quite a brouhaha about the RF fiasco going on at the time I was lurking and I waited for that to die down, but otherwise it was just getting accustomed to the unique nature that every forum has.

I may fall into many of those categories you listed as an OP, but that remains to be seen. These things are pretty expensive to complete, so who knows what the future may bring?

Doug

I was also a lurker/guest for some time before becoming a member. Primarily because I wanted to see how informative the forum would be from a technical standpoint.I am a complete novice to all things GT40 and this forum seems to cater for everyone from the bottom rung (Myself included) all the way up to original owners and racers which is fantastic. Secondly, I wanted to see how welcoming the cummiunity would be to someone with very little to offer in terms of technical knowledge or experience with GT40's, just a lot of enthusiasm. I didn't want to ask lots of stupid questions and pitch in too early. Trawling through old threads as a guest answered most of these and helped save face.
Once I made the decision to take the plunge and buy a rolling chassis, I felt more comfortable posting on the forum, as my questions became more focused and appropriate. Also the experiences with my own build would be more relevant and helpful to other members, so I decided to become a member myself.
Experiences so far have all been positive.

Gary Kadrmas said:
Hello,

The responses from everyone have provided answers to my original question.

Thank you to all.

Its tuff when you get answers to your question and realize your question and your rating as a Rookie with a rep power of 1 suggest the distinguished road you are on is there for a reason.

Ya learn something new everyday. Its just slower for old farts.

Gary Kadrmas

That's OK Gary - you posed a good question, but just left off the more common
answer in your choices. As others have said, many pop by just to read wihtout
logging in - I do it myself quite often.

I am sure your rep will grow - heck, I'll add one for you :)

Ian

Back