Lose Your Password Or Login - Please Read!

Ron Earp

Admin
Alright Peoples,

the forum is getting fairly large and membership is increasing - this is a good thing! But a side effect of this is that "I can't login" requests are increasing too. This week I have received an average of 2.25 requests per day for lost passwords. The forum has an automated password recovery system, bet you didn't know that did you?

To recover your password follow this link:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw

Now, before you say you tried this and it didn't work let me assure you it DOES WORK. It will email to the email address in your profile. Yes, I can assure you 100% that it will send to that address that is in your User Control Panel, which you can access from the menu bar when logged in. In fact, if you are logged in go to your User CP and make sure your email address is up to date.

Now, if you didn't get an email then the problem is either one of two things:

1) Your email address in your profile is no good

2) your firewall, Outlook Junk filter, company spam filter, or something else is trapping the email the system is sending.

So, before you ask it to send make sure you have those turned off or know how to look in a Junk or Spam box and find the email.THE SYSTEM DOES WORK, but it is defeated most of the time by filters, blockers, spam killers, etc.

If your email address is bogus and you need to login then you can contact us and we'll help when we have time. These don't take a lot of time to sort if the user provides one of the following:
  • The EXACT name they used when they registered. Exactly. Not "I think it was John something". The exact name.
  • The CORRECT email address they used when they registered. Not a bogus address they don't use or some email address they have since changed, but the email that the system has stored for them.
Without one of these two items then it becomes a much longer than a two minute process. Add to that fact that many users expect service in a matter of minutes and it becomes an issue.

Please, current users, make sure your email address is up to date so the system can automatically email you a lost password. A reduction in password requests would be a good thing.

Ron

Re: Password Requests, Email, and YOU!

For crying out loud guys. Give the guy a break - write it all down some where and if you travel a lot put it on a card for your wallet. This is suppose to be fun for Ron. Maybe a required donation for the service would help ease up the load!

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: Password Requests, Email, and YOU!

No, no need there, it is cool.

Sometimes they come in waves and depending on my work and travel I can't do them straight away. Lynn was handling them for awhile but I gave him a break and switched the contact to me. It is just this past week I had a large number of them and I was wondering if it was normal or due to membership increases and newbies. It might be a little of both, but it's fine.

I just want people to know that we do try and process the manual requests but it might be a day or even longer in some cases before someone can get back to you. It is good to have all the new members joining us and I really appreciate the folks trying to keep up with the passwords and logins. But, if you lose it don't worry, email us and we'll sort it out. Just might not happen in minutes though.

The big thing is that the auto email password request feature does work, but you have to make sure you don't trash the email with spam filters etc.

Thanks,
Ron

Back