How to do to unsubscribe?

I think this post shall be adressed to Ron...
How to unsubscribe from the forum???
My desire is to be banned from it.
Many thank for understanding.
Good Luck
Wanni

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Wanni,

The forum doesn't have an "unsubscribe" function in the sense that you referencing. Occasionally, we've have to remove people from the forum and this is not uncommon for moderated car forums. But in my tenure we've only had to remove, i.e. "ban a member", about three to four times over a period of six years. The condition "banning a member" is reserved for those that have violated forum rules or etiquette and is extremely rare on www.gt40s.com.

If you wish to quit reading the forum then you need to simply quit pointing your browser at www.gt40s.com. At www.gt40s.com even unregistered users can read the forum. If you like I can make it so that you cannot login and post any longer, but that is up to you. You'll still be able to read www.gt40s.com without being logged in. Any posts that you have made as "wanni" will always remain on www.gt40s.com.

Best,
Ron

That's a shame Wanni. There is an obvious translation problem here I think. Words such as "Hijack" have serious implications but are commonly used on English speaking forums and in that context are not meant to seriously imply that someone is a terrorist.
Indeed I am hijacking this thread. :) I'm doing it because I doubt you'll get to see a private message from me.

Perhaps a more considered approach to posting and a little tolerance and "benefit of the doubt" for language difficulties by all parties would mean that we enthusiasts could keep people with valuable experience and input around, competitors or not.

This forum is for the enthusiasts. As much as some of the manufacturers would like to keep it to themselves (for obvious reasons) there should be room for competition.

I have no "beef" with anyone on the transaxle threads. (meaning no argument or hard feelings)
How the threads are organised means less to me than it does to those with an interest in "the product".
Personally I think there is a lot of intolerance and hypocrisy on this forum but that's just like most others. These days I try to ignore and avoid things that might annoy. I do this because there are people here who are worth listening to, even if we (or they) don't agree on some things.
Bad behaviour is easy to recognise, vested interests are usually well known or easy to spot and people here are smart enough to take them into account.

Lastly, the "putting down" of a competitor and/or their product is very unlikely to have a postive effect (in my culture anyway), far better to point out the strengths in your own.
I guess it depends on whether you want to win the "battle" or the "war".

Whatever you do, good luck to you.

Ron, you continue to do a great job! Please return to your normal flight path. :)

Tim.

Last edited:
Wanni.
I know where you are coming from. I used to read every post religiously every day, post where ever I thought I could help etc. Now I read about 1% of the posts and dont visit for weeks, and very rarely contribute to a post, even when I see some misinformation printed. I lost interest a long time ago, about the time everyone started getting on meats case. He already had a bad reputation and I think people were over-sensitive to anything he posted and made a big deal out of it until he was banned. I realized then it was more of cool kids club with the outsiders having a hard time getting "in". I firmly believe if you were someone else your posts would be more "acceptable".
If you hang around long enough, just soak up what you can because there is alot of good info here, and dont bother contributing your 2 cents no matter how good your intentions are, then you will do fine.
Sorry if this causes you any grief Ron. You have done an excellent job. I just miss the days back when it was new (the network 54 forum and the couple years after that) and small and alot more friendly. Some where along the line, everyone turned grumpy.

Eric,

Excellent statement. It must be like F1 racing. The more money that went in, the more it became a business. When something has economic implications, then you know what starts.

As someone said, let the market decide, but let's get the info out !!!!

Wanni

I dont know what the forum used to be like but I think its excellent now, Ron you are doing a splendid job. It would be a shame if you stopped posting because you have expert knowledge which addresses probably one of the most important and difficult areas to resolve, the drivetrain. This is especially true now with a number of new transaxles (hopefully!) about to hit the market. So keep right on posting and follow Ron's advice, look forward to hearing more from you.

Regards

John

Ron Earp

Admin
Sorry that some of you fellows feel that the forum is not as good as it used to be. The membership makes the forum and the moderator sets the tone, so I'm not sure which one you are disappointed in - both I suppose. However, I'd disagree with some of the statements made below on a couple of points.

With respect to "trolls" such as Meat (Sean), Oliver (John), and a couple of others, these guys were banned from no less than three internet car forums. Their posting style was meant to be inflammatory, they showed little or no respect to any members, and they enjoyed disrupting an internet community. While occasionally a troll asks a good question that needs to be asked for the benefit of the forum membership, this occasional benefit does not outweigh the negative impact of the troll on the community. If a forum with plenty of bickering, infighting, name calling, and non-civil behavior is what you're interested in, then www.gt40s.com is not for you. In fact, I don't know many car forums that advocate this behavior.

I also disagree with the suggestion to Wanni, and presumably other new members, to simply read and not participate in the forum and that this is a "cool kids club". We have members that have been here for over five years. And we have members who just joined last month. Both groups participate constructively and add to the forum. If new members don't post and interact with the community then we run the risk of being an "old boys club", and I don't think any of us want that. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case with over 4200 total members now, well over 2000 active members, and more than 1000 new members in the last six to eight months.

And, with respect to Wanni I've only ever cautioned him to try and be a bit more conservative with his posting and positively interact with the community. I have warned him not to spam the forum, as he did when he first joined, but he heeded that warning. I've had to make a couple of cautionary posts on the transaxle posts with respect to hijacking threads. But I've not banned him and he is not being singled out by me, furthermore, if he "were someone else" the treatment would be the same. My hope is that all the transaxle players can learn to get along, respect one another, and help forum members.

And lastly, as to advertising/pushing on the forum with commercial interest, bear in mind there are manufacturer's forums (RCR, CAV, SPF, etc.) where the members that pay for those forums can be more aggressive in posting. It might be that some of the membership sees those posts, in those forums, and feels that the treatment is not the same compared to the general forums. That is correct - those forums are for discussion of those particular cars and naturally the tone is slightly different there than in the general open forums (Engines, Transaxles, etc.). I don't advocate advertising and selling in the general forums, however, I don't read every post on the forum either, so I'm sure it happens. I think most of the membership is considerate enough to police themselves and if not I can help out as I've done in the past with some moderation.

Guys we have a unique community of people who like to help one another and discuss their passion for GT40s and related cars. That is the most important aspect of the forum. Our commitment to keeping threads on topic and the information content high needs to be renewed with members helping other members to stay on course.

Best,
Ron

I have been here over 5 years now, and don't post an awful lot. Sorry about that, but I just don't find I have the time to read everything, post responses and build a car, as well as the normal work and family stuff.
However, I do not agree with Eric and domtoni on their comments on this one, and I feel I ought to say so. (Note Eric has helped me with info in the past which I have not forgotten about and for which I am most grateful).
Ron is doing an excellent job, and has always done so. I try to look in every day or two, and read topics which I see as relevant to me. So I don't read the Ford GT, CAV, RF, off topic, and 1 or 2 others sections much, and my wife still says I spend far too long on here, but I find much of the talk interesting, and quite informative.
I must admit I do not keep up to date with the transaxle threads relating to new transmissions, because of 1) wanni's persistent 'well intentioned' questions, and 2) I am not looking for a new transmission at the moment, but that does not detract from the rest of the forum.
Is wanni making a mountain out of a mole hill? Probably. (sorry wanni, I hope you can translate) I think he jumps in a bit too soon, and attracts a bit too much attention for my liking, but maybe this is an Italian thing? So, I am happy for him to be here, and I can live with it.
I hope to be able to contribute more in the future, when my car is built, and would urge other members not to avoid contributing, just because the noise level has gone up a little. If we can all contribute to the signal level, then we can drown out the noise without resorting to banning orders.

Actually, as far as remember, Sean (Meat) was never actually banned
(Ron - can you check?) John (Oliver) was the first to be banned, and
he actually returned for a while under another name.

This forum is very friendly if the rules are followed. Wanni has danced the
line a couple of times, and Ron has had to remind him of the rules (or clarify
the rules as the case may be). But, how individuals respond to each other
within the rules, well, if you're on the internet, wear your best asbestos
outfit. Sooner or later someone will disagree with you and the flames will
start.

This forum is very friendly and helpful. As a non owner (still), but with a long
history here (since the days of the first version so long ago), I find a wealth
of info, and people who love to share their experiences as well. Yes, some get
a little militant when it comes to their favorite product (as is the case with
any board on the internet), but it is easy to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Ian

Well said, Ron.

Eric, while I agree with you that the forum has changed, I'm not sure that it's for the worse. Yeah, some of the vendors can be obnoxious when hawking their wares, I suspect there are a lot of dirty little secrets and gossip flying around via PMs, and the overall membership might not be as technically inclined as in the early days. That said, it should be all about the tech, and in my opinion, if someone can bring superior tech, like Wanni, then that is more important than being perceived by a few as a little abrasive. Your pal Meat was abrasive, or hostile, to nearly everybody and he didn't bring one iota of tech to the table. Ditto Oliver. Ron gave these individuals multiple opportunities to contribute in a meaningful manner, and they chose not to do so. Old boy's club? No, it was judicious moderation to keep this place civil with a good signal/nise ratio.

Wanni, I'd like to see you stick around and contribute to transaxle threads.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I haven't been a member long enough to comment on it's transition, although I used to link on periodicly before joining. I understand some of the frustrations, but I see them as growing pains that are encountered anytime something grows larger or quicker than anticipated. I think the forum is as good as any of the others and better than some.
As for Wanni, I understand some of the frustrations expressed by members about hi-jacking threads. I also believe ,as was already stated, that it is partly cultural, something that can happen on an International forum.
I personally like reading the transaxle threads, even when they seem a little bit tense....you can't get enough info when it comes to some of this stuff. I would hope that Wanni doesn't resist in posting, though some restraint in his postings would go a long way to soften some of the tones :).
Now......since it was already brought up...WHAT is the story on MEAT?????
I recall, I'd have to look back at the e-mails, some years ago his talk of some low cost GT40 replica based on ...something. Other than that I don't know his prior "disposition", however whenever I see him mentioned it seems to raise the hair on the back of many peoples necks.

Woodz428,

Some people are high maintenance, and some are low maintenance. Once you are a gt40s member for awhile, and you get to know the personalities of the folks on this forum, things seem to just fall into place naturally. And naturally, if you cant figure out what people are the friction starters, other people on the forum will map it out for you.

If you sumble onto a thread that has this type of activity, refraining from being a participant usually slows or stops the thread. If it gets out of hand, Ron or Lynn has a real diplomatic way to intervene. Done deal.

Ok just to clarify. I think Ron and Lynn do an excellent job at moderating, better than most other forums out there and my "old boys club" comment was not meant for them. Some members tend to openly "attack" others (when they should just keep it in PM's to a member or moderater) but will let it slide with different members.
Although meat was "useless" for the most part, I didnt believe he was any worse than some others but that is my personnal opinion. As for Oliver, I dont know how that guy lasted so long. He DEFINATELY deserved the boot. Not for what he was saying, but for his complete lack of tact in saying it.

Some members tend to openly "attack" others (when they should just keep it in PM's to a member or moderater) but will let it slide with different members.

Eric, this is the part of your point that I think needs to be revisited. You'll note,
that people tend to openly attack others who they either a) have a history of
having such exchanges with or b) feel have yet to prove themselves as being
even keeled or having valid input. And when those people let the comments
slide from other members, it usually because those other members have a
history of providing useful comments, insight, etc. and as such, given a little
more leeway. If one establishes a history of well reasoned responses, then
the "public" will be a little more forgiving of "transgressions". This is true
anywhere. And, the the opposite is true, if one establishes a history of
being problematic, then the tolerance level drops.

Meat was not useless, he had plenty to contribute based on his long time
experience in the kit car community. Unfortunately, his tone and tact left
the more lasting impression.

Oliver also had some solid contributions as well. Again, his approach became
his stigma. At one point, after he was banned, he had some ZFs for sale on
eBay. A member queried here whether or not he should conduct business
with Olliver, and the gist of the responses (mine included) were that, regardless
of his personality and tone here, nobody would argue that he was less than
honest when it came to business dealings (one could say he was too honest
at times). He also, even after being booted, still made good on his Weber
tuning DVD, something he did not have to do considering the circumstances.

Unfortunately, this community has shown intolerance to some of the "good
old boys", and in two major cases, I think wrongly. Andre40 was made to feel
unwelcome more than once (he was unfortunately involved with both the
original CAV which went under and was reformed, as well as Roaring Forties
just prior to the shit hitting the fan). And then there's Hersh, whom I sorely
miss here. He also got bullied out of posting here as a result of his being the
US rep for RF as it went under and he was left hung out to dry. I do hope
he comes back into the fold some day. And I know Andre occasionally drops
in and provides us with another historic gem here and there.

I still think this forum is one of the best out there. Even to the point that it
is no longer exclusively GT40s - we have info on various Porsches, Lolas,
Ferraris, and I suspect more and more about the XJ13. But one thing this
forum is not short on, some good friendly people who know a lot of shit and
are willing to share it.

-Ian

Last edited:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
And then there's Hersh, whom I sorely
miss here. He also got bullied out of posting here as a result of his being the
US rep for RF as it went under and he was left hung out to dry. I do hope
he comes back into the fold some day. -V

Ian, you don't need to wait any longer. Hersch has been posting recently. Go to his profile and bring up his recent posts--you'll see.

I am glad to see some of those who left return. Lynn was gone for quite a while and what an incredibly knowlegable person he is--we're so lucky in many ways that he's returned. He has compiled a list of resources that is awesome. Hersch's technical expertise has been sorely missed, and once again I must say I'm so glad to see him posting again.

Sometimes "Time heals all wounds", as they say. Welcome back to those who left and decided to come back--we've missed you.

Doug

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
OMG--I think I confused him with Gordon Levy (where the h-e-double-l is that "embarrased" icon when you need it?).

My apologies--hadn't seen Gordon posting for a long time, either, and for some reason I was confused--I can blame it on being "....older than aluminum foil", I guess.

An embarrased Dugly (maybe I'm a few fries short of a happy meal, too)

That's OK, I forgot to include Gordon in my list of "oldies but goodies who were
chased off" - but yes, I am glad Gordon is back too.

Ian

Back