Call For How To Articles

This is another call for article submissions to the "How To" section of the forum. As anyone can see I have been busy posting articles to this section with a vengeance. Ron Earp tells us that there have been complaints about it being SPF only. Well guys, that's what I own. I can't write about the others because I don't have them. I have posted a number of generic GT40 and reference data articles but clearly the bias has been SPF. I'd be delighted to rectify that but we need submissions from you........especially the ones complaining about too much SPF coverage. Step up guys and we'll post your work. Richard Woerz and I even do all the heavy lifting by doing all the editing, getting the pictures resized and up on the FTP server. All you have to do is send it to us.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Lynn It might be an Idea to see if Ron can bring articles from older threads into these new ones. I've done a few that would fit this 'how to' section.One that springs to mind that I did, was how to fit a ZF into an RF chassis.This article is no doubt buried in the Transaxle archives.
Ross

Great idea Ross. This will take some investigation as to the mechanics of such a move. One of the criteria for the "How To" section was that it be a standalone area where no comment posts could be made so that there could be no thread "drift" or hijacking. Just the facts. I have received additional input on some of my posts via PM. I have edited every one of those inputs into my posts so it is not as if one cannot comment on the how to's posted, but it IS filtered to stay on topic. This highlights the problem of moving an existing thread into the How To area. The amount of work to "clean up" an existing thread so that only the relevant material is moved can be substantial. What we are trying to do is get submitters to send us the article they want posted, much like a submission to a magazine. People can comment all day long in the open forum area about the article but the How To section is like a reference library.

Ron Earp

Admin
Fellows,

I'd have to agree with Lynn's thoughts. There are surely other threads that show how to do various things on the site. But as he says one problem with them is that they won't be in the "How To" format which includes inline pictures, complete description, and most importantly are moderated and do not have thread digression since "How To" articles are not open for posting.

We do need more "How To" articles though, that is for certain. Many people over the years and even recently have asked me to make a section like this on the forum. But once it was done I'd have to say I've been disappointed in the response that Lynn has received with respect to authored contributions. While a few of Lynn's topics are non-SPF related, he has an SPF and most of them are going to be SPF specific. I agree with a few of the folks that have PMed/emailed me about having more marquee specific coverage and topics, but folks have to actually write the articles.

So if you want to be famous and have some good tech to bring, write up a How To article and get it over the Lynn!

Best,
Ron

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Lynn/Ron,

I will be contributing as soon as P2125 is back North and I can take pics to post with text(car is presently wintering at Olthoff's) but, like Lynn my car is a SPF so although not all "How To's" will be SPF related many will be...Some will be joint contributions and building on (as an example) my querries to Andy "Doc Watson" for advice re CAV Ammeter and Lucas 608 interior mirror info that I will couple with my further ideas and installs, another on active and passive corrosion protection, my own version of storage boxes, horns, halon, center rod shift ect..Steve SPF P2125

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Lynn,

Ron asked me to touch base with you about making some of my work available for your articles. In particular, I've created a competition Porsche Transaxle Support for my RCR-40 but could easily be implemented in most any other GT40 chassis. I've got a complete article on the creation of the system on my Build Site (see signature) or - if you like I can supply in some other format. Just let me know what you need and I'll se what I can do..

Oh Yes - and I'll be scanning in an outline of my template to a PDF which should produce a reasonably accurate template for anyone printing it out..

Great Randy, that's just the stuff we're looking for. Please send it as a text document without embedded pictures and the pictures separately. The reason for this is so the text can be then indexed for searches. Also send it with the pictures embedded if you have it that way otherwise you have to tell me which picture goes where.

Thanks, we'll post it within a couple days of receipt.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn,

So I'm clear here - Would you like to see the submissions in a couple of Word Documents? One with pictures, one without?

Ron

Other than Steve C and Randy above, I've heard from no one.

Randy

Yes, two word docs - one with pics and one without and the pics sent separately.

I, for the life of me cannot figure why anyone would complain about Lynns write ups. Most are very applicable to most other makes and even if not, he desreves credit for his time and footwork. Any complainers can feel free to step up and post some of your thoughts and hints, otherwise print your complaints for all of us to see. At least be a man about it.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Chuck,

Maybe I used the wrong wording when I spoke/emailed to Lynn. Complaint might not be the best choice of words, maybe to say folks asked with "fairmindedness" as their concern that SPF seemed to have the spotlight in a complete forum section. I don't think any ill-will or anything like that was intended nor should it be taken like that.

All that said, I too would like to see more articles for other makes of GT40s. As many people that have asked me about this over the years, as well as one other attempt to make this happen some years ago, I figured articles would be coming out of the woodwork. But I will speak plainly about this, I think it is another case of "we want XYZ, as long as you are going to do all the work for XYZ". I only agreed to set it up as long as someone else ran it (Lynn / Richard) because I know I don't have the time to do it. Lynn is doing a nice job with it though and I commend his efforts. But Lynn is going to have to have help in the form of articles to really make the section take off.

Ron

I understand, but I again would welcome any helpful write ups on any make, as most can be extrapolated to work with many car brands. I am not excluding myself from people that can share build tips.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Ok let me try again.Would it not be possible to extract the original how to article from older threads and strip out any replies that don't fit the format.I just don't have time to rewrite articles for a format change and most articles were concieved during the build, which is likely going to be the source for most articles in this 'How To' section.My build seems like a long time ago now and most of my time these days is spent in improving the car for racing. I would think these race improvements may be less interesting to the majority of forum members than build articles.
My 2c worth.
Ross

Ross, I personally don't know how to do what you are suggesting. I'm not saying it can't be done....just that I don't know how to do it. If Ron can instruct Richard and me on the mechanics of the procedure we can try it. It may be as simple as editing your original thread by removing all the comments and then move it to the how to area. The only down side to that is (I think) if someone made a comment that you responded to, it could potentially get dropped making the discussion confusing.

Another option is to move the entire post and lock it so no one can make further comments. This is not such a good idea I would think.

I'll speak to Ron to get his thoughts.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I have a couple simple project on my website, can they just be linked or do you need them hosted here?

Sandy

I would prefer to post them here if possible. If not, I will write a short abstract and then embed your link. Let me know.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ross and Lynn,

Threads can be moved and posts from individual threads can be deleted. Administrators have this ability. However, with how most of the general threads come out on this forum I can't imagine that you could get a high quality "How To" thread from another thread once all the pieces have been stripped out. Plus, there is the minor issue that editing posting and stripping out information from posts amounts to censorship, something I have never done on the site and don't like the idea of doing.

My vote would be to "do it right" and make "How To" articles specifically as "How To" articles.

Ron

New articles posted. Thanks to the help of our members we have a couple of new articles in the How To section. The first is an upgrade of the GTD A/C system and is posted in the General Interest area and the other is on fitting an alternator in your GT40 by Chuck Schmidt and is in the Engines & Transaxles area.

It would be hard to believe that there is a more talented group of engineers and fabricators anywhere so don’t be shy about sharing your years of experience. We are looking for articles for all makes and disciplines. We would love to see articles on materials fabrication and finishing, car setup, engine and chassis tuning anything relating to our passion and hobby. Please keep those articles coming.

Last edited:
Back