Sick of it - Forum Improvements

I don’t know how anyone else feels about this but I am growing tired of the sniping between manufactures. Seems like every time I check the forum, some manufacturer is on another’s forum making snide remarks or trying to sell their parts or bad mouthing the competition or demanding answers to questions that have no relevance to their own business.

If you “Gentlemen” have issues with each other I suggest you resolve them. If that can’t be done then follow the “Don’t say anything at all” rule.

Keith

Re: Sick of it

I don’t know how anyone else feels about this but I am growing tired of the sniping between manufactures. Seems like every time I check the forum, some manufacturer is on another’s forum making snide remarks or trying to sell their parts or bad mouthing the competition or demanding answers to questions that have no relevance to their own business.

If you “Gentlemen” have issues with each other I suggest you resolve them. If that can’t be done then follow the “Don’t say anything at all” rule.

Hear hear! :thumbsup:

Just use it all in your decision making process. Being critical of anothers work when you aren't a non biased entity usually backfires. I know business is competitive but usually a good product with good support will shine.

Jim N

arnie.... i totally agree with you.... this site is for gt40 fans and owners......not a bloody soap box to stand on and just bitch about everything to do with other companies.....

I agree. Some people just have to stir it up. How about a 1 month penalty? Sort of a time out like I had to give my kids when they were little.

Yes Ian, we do.

CC's are much more strictly enforced, however.

I like that the moderators are visible when online, and there does not seem to be "ghost viewers" on threads.

I also enjoy the fact that there are almost no techless posts in the tech forums.

Not much slobbering going on.

"More banning ... Less Bitching" I love it!

Oh so refreshing.

Last edited:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter

Well said, all of you. I couldn't agree more.

Scott's suggestion to review and, potentially, adopt some of the forum-behavior philosophy used on Corner-Carvers is a good one. Their no-nonsense (bordering on knee-jerk) policy to a number of issues would've put an end to a lot of the juvenile misbehavior we've been exposed to on GT40s.com for quite some time. Then again, perhaps the only difference betwen to two forums is that CC doesn't tolerate nearly the amount of static that we've been exposed to for the last 12-18 months. Maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Simple rules to live by:
Keep it clean
Keep it factual
Keep it on topic
Keep it respectful

Wondering out loud here... might there be a way to ensure all members are required to agree to (and initial, electronically, indicating they understand) a short, easy to understand code before being allowed to post even one more time?

Best,

T.

Yes there is Tim!

It would not be knee-jerk if you read, understand and accept the agreement.

If you don't like the terms don't become a member, its that simple.

1). Require a verifyable email address for everyone, existing members and new members. Make them wait to post until this is completed/accepted, ie no hotmail, gmail, whatever etc.

2). Require that people use their name and strongly encourage them to fill out some details about themselves. Like their name, sometimes just this fact can prevent assjockeys from posting useless crap.

My profile page is a good example of this;

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/members/scott-calabro.html

3). Enforce the rules.

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter

Scott,
I only have a hotmail account and I don't think I have offended anyone on this forum. I see where you are trying to go to ensure that the forum is the best it can be. Perhaps some form of verification might be the way to go rather than using too broad a brush.
Cheers
Mike

MikeP,

Maybe those emails are now verifiable, I don't know.

But it would be simple for you to get a "verifiable" email account.

I'm suggesting strict standards and enforcement, not a broad brush, a very narrow one!

S

Ron Earp

Admin

Ok, I'll bite.

1) The forum uses an email verification system for every person that registers. They must have a valid email address. A [email protected] account is just as valid as a [email protected] account - as long as the system can send an email to the account and the user clicks on it to confirm registration it'll work. Users cannot post until their account has been verified using the email system and the Image verification system to foil spambots (some still get through).

2) Using your real name is in the rules. But there is no way in hell I'm going to confirm and email every person that signs up and ask them "Now, are you really James Rudland, of username "Monkeyboy""?

3) What rules do we have on the forum that folks feel are not enforced? Specific examples please. What rules do we need that we do not have? Again, specific examples.

As far as showing when Paul and I are online, the only two admins on this site, no, we aren't doing it. I used to do it, but I don't any longer because 1) I use Firefox with 13 tabs open at once. It always loads GT40s.com even if I'm not looking at it and it'd show me as being here when I'm not. This leads to 2) back in the days when I was shown online it invariably always lead to "on the spot" Admin PMs where someone would wish to have an answer quickly for a GT40 forum question. Since I don't always have time to answer those questions immediately I always felt bad about not responding promptly. The solution - use the admin privilege to turn off visibility.

As far as the "ghost viewers" I don't know about that. Do you mean the count of folks viewing threads? Anyone can look at the forum, registered or not, so I suppose they would be included in the count. Not something I've paid much attention to or know how the system counts. Why does it make any difference how many people are viewing?

Howard Jones

Supporter

Hi Ron, From time to time someone just needs to say this. Don't make this anymore complex than you can stand or want to.... period. This forum is the best tool I have for my hobby. Frankly it would be difficult to enjoy this home builder prototype hobby as much as many of us do without it.

So again I believe that you have a huge amount of support to run it as you feel fit. You have proven to the majority of us who have been here for sometime that "Ron not only knows what he is doing but IS doing it just fine thank you"

So are there problems? Not any that the forum needs to address in my opinion. At least nothing that requires you to do a lot about or add to your work load. Keep it within your ability and fun level. Ignore the whiners, children, and pain in the asses. The world is full of them and its no wonder one or the other shows up from time to time. The amazing thing is there are so few on your forum. A tribute to you and the serious, impassioned, input from the members of this forum.

The following post ( dreams...my GT40) by Nielson says it all. The guy just bought his GT40 and is stoked. This forum had a lot to do with it. See what I mean! Dreams do come true!!!!

The silent majority supports you, needs you, and thanks you!!!!

Viva GT40s.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Ron,

"Ghost" see below;

Lots of times I see at the bottom of the page, on whatever thread I am viewing, that there are more "members" viewing than actually listed by name. No lie, I've seen as many as four at times.

One, somtimes two, of these "members" seems to enjoy my choice of viewing so much that they follow me around quite often.

So the short answer is yes, who is so interested in little old me?

As far as answering questions quickly, you choose to do so, you could wait to answer when its convienient for you. Don't feel bad about not responding "quickly", as most of the members do not contribute financially.

Turning off administrator visibility promotes bad behavior.

Again I would like to see ALL members/administrators who are viewing a thread, visible at the bottom of that page and listed by forum name.

"2) Using your real name is in the rules. But there is no way in hell I'm going to confirm and email every person that signs up and ask them "Now, are you really James Rudland, of username "Monkeyboy""?

Why not?

Just don't allow posting privileges until you/admins get the time to make sure they are in compliance with the forum rules.

If they don't like that well then maybe they should not be here.

Regards,
S

Last edited:

Scott

I often do not log on, I don't see the point if I am not going to post.
A lot of members would do the same I would think.

Jim

Jim,

Its the bad posts that are the problem, not people viewing.

No bad posts, no problems.

You don't need to register to view.

I think may have not made what I am saying clear, its when certain members/admin ARE logged on they are not visible.

See post #21.

S

Last edited:

Scott,

I believe the software will either show all users who are logged in, or there is
a limit in the software (or skin) that prevents a long list. Based upon the User
CP, I don't see any option for "Stealth" mode when viewing threads (some
BB software do have such an option). As far as people who choose not to login,
whether they are members who, for various reasons, do not, or just site
visitors who have yet to decide on joining, that's their choice.

Ian

Sorry guys but if some of this stuff was not brought up then more people would be held up or taken completely.It sounds petty when some of it is brought up but people are paying good money and info is just that.
Of course some people weigh in when their opinion isnt needed but its still their opinion. This site is incredible but the people who read here want to hear the good as well as the bad to help make decisions.
Remember there are posts here that would go nowhere if you just didnt respond to them.Have a nice day.

Back