Editing posts

What is the reason behind not allowing the poster to edit their post. Generally one mispells or forgets something or realizes after the fact that the way it was phrased made no sense or was confusing.

This is the only board I belong to (and I belong to dozens) that does not allow editing of ones posts.

Wait... I just posted this and I can edit. So is editing disallowed in only certain forums.

Keith

There may be a time limit on posts for editing purposes - not sure how long that is though.

I wouldn't know as I've never had to correct my own posts of course.

:rolleyes:

Yeah right... :laugh:

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Editing period on your posts does expire - I think it's something like 10 minutes - not sure..

As I understand it - It was done like this primarily to discourage people from tossing a verbal grenade into the crowd and then editing so later they could claim innocence..

I find the editing period generally sufficient to correct any spelling / grammatical / content errors.

The RCR Forum doesnt allow you to edit your posts and you are supposed to contact Scott or Andy @ Tornado in order to post on the Tornado Forum. Reading some of the historic threads on these should make it self explanatory as to why these steps were taken.

Ron Earp

Admin
You have one hour to edit posts in most of the forums.

The Tornado is 100% moderated so your posts must be approved by the Tornado moderator (Scott C) before they will appear.

The RCR forum is not approval moderated. It has a moderator (Fran Hall) who can move posts out of the RCR forum but that is it; he cannot edit or delete posts.

Ron

if he can't delete or edit them where does he move them to? as I made a post asking a simple question which he obviously did not like or care to answer.

It dissapeared and seemed and be deleted but are you saying he just hid it somewhere?

I really did think it unfair that a sponsor could delete a post just because it made him feel uncomfortable. Forum = democracy and a voice for all does it not? as long as it is not libelous or slanderous (never sure which)

Ron Earp

Admin
Sponsors pay for their own subforums, sort of like having their own forum without all the hassle of setting up a complete website like GT40s.com. If they do not want a post in the subforum they can move it out to a storage area or not approve the post. That is the way those subforums are setup. If that makes a member uncomfortable then don't post in those subforums.

It is no different from a magazine or many other forms of publication and communication. For example the NRA magazine certainly isn't going to be accepting full page ads from Handgun Control Inc. nor will you find it publishing letters to the editor from anti-gun authors.

The rest of the forums on GT40s.com are not like the RCR and the Tornado forums. They are open forums for members to engage in adult and mature dialogue. While name calling and pot stirring isn't going to be tolerated on any of the forums on this site you can certainly ask any questions you feel are pertinent.

Ron

many thanks for the clarification Ron.

best not to ask awkward questions on a sponsors forum then :lipsrsealed:

Back