A Couple of Things....

Ron Earp

Admin
Just a couple of points.

• Remember "The Rules" at GT40s.com? Remember point #2, use your real name? If you ARE NOT using your real name then get on the User CP and change it. At least have a correct first name and location. Why? Well, those are the forum rules and...
The forum again is being threatened with a lawsuit from one of my favorite countries, England. Now I do like England and have a lot of good friends that live there or are from there. But I despise the English slander and libel laws. Fortunately two things are assisting in this case - GT40s.com is a US corporation and as such works under US laws, and the fact that the pivotal posts that this issue revolves around has a user that used his/her real name. If they had not used their real name it'd be something of a problem for resolution. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS!
I certainly won't be checking names and addresses. But given that most folks on GT40s.com are interested in forming relationships with other members I would think most folks willing to use proper names here. If you don't like this rule then find another place to spend your time.

• There are a number of User IDs that I suspect have been hacked. I've been getting more than a few requests for passwords and so on, more than normal. Be careful with your forum password and change it from time to time. Make sure your email address is current - the system can email you when it detects unusual activity and it can email you your password when requested. With a bad email address it can do neither of these things.
Thanks,
Ron

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Ron -

First of all, best of luck with the lawsuit threat - hopefully it is just that, a threat. I don't really understand why someone would want to sue GT40s.com except they think they might get money. Nothing but greed -really a shame.

I truely appreciate the site and all the effort that you and the moderators put into it. I don't post much but I typically look at the site multiple times per day when I can. I don't need to tell you that there is a lot of very good technical information on the site and a lot of inspirational builds from around the globe.

Regards,
Dave Lindemann

Ron

Sorry to hear that you're getting this sort of crap from a UK source..

The UK is abound with people who threaten lawsuits at the drop of a hat.

I am currently in, well let's say 'discussion' with a UK company that have failed to provide any level of service, despite about 50-60 phone calls on my part over a 9 month period (+ a lot of patience and understanding on my part). When I finally suggested that I 'might' post my concerns about their lack of customer interest on a forum they frequent, they immediately threaten me with a lawsuit! - whatever happended to the customer being right, or even common sense for that matter.... or freedom of speech. Someone over here has informed me that posting FACT is still slander as it will publicly show a company in bad light - even though that may be true, so they say I can be sued for speaking the truth - amazing! but sad!

Hope it gets resolved soon and as you say, people should definately ensure their email details are correct and up to date. They do not get spammed by unsolicited emails and it does allow us admins to resolve matters more easily.

On another note I've noticed we have had an increased level of spamming posts this last week as I have deleted / banned a few and know that others have too... Just wish there was an easier way to stop it.

Keith

Not only that Paul, but if you innocently repeat a story believing it to be true either verbally or in writing, and is in fact untrue and slanderous or libellious in nature then you are also guilty of the same offence.

As a freelance technical journalist for over 25 years we soon got caught up with this litigous quagmire even when expressing a personal opinion (I wonder how the Top Gear team fare?) so we had to be extremely careful with much use of the terms "allegedly" and "it is alleged" just to cover our ass...

And it worked. The habit has stuck (it is alleged) so you may see this term in some of my posts, but generally, I try to avoid criticising anything or anyone in public, either spoken or written, but simply send the "boys" around to "ajudicate" on my behalf (it is alleged) because I am no longer physically able to batter people very efficiently myself (true). :blank:

Back