New Forum Updates

Ron Earp

Admin
Dear Members,<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The forum has undergone from fairly extensive software updates over the last couple of days. While there won’t be many things that are easily apparent to you, the underpinnings of the forum were a few versions old, a bit behind on patches and updates, and it was time to move to VB’s new 3.8x software line as 3.7x will no longer have new feature support.<o:p></o:p>
Ninety five percent of the changes are transparent but there are a few items worth mentioning:<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->
  • New registrations will not have a registration email that always gets lost, instead we’ll be using image verification (had that before) and a simple question that we can define to avoid spambots.

• Upgrading the forum membership is a bit easier for those that wish to be forum supporters. New support icons are on the way too.

• Subforums can be excluded from the “New Posts” listing. Right now the Paddock is excluded from the New Posts listing to see how that goes.

• The two photo galleries will be merged into one unit to avoid confusion.<o:p></o:p>
<!--[endif]--> <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]--> <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]--> <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]--> <o:p> </o:p>
You should see enhanced performance but beyond that the forum will stay the same and I hope it’ll provide many more years of service for us.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks,<o:p></o:p>
Ron<o:p></o:p>

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Ron...

One of the things I noticed right away was that I had a Notification of a message waiting for me (not in my PMs but another area)...

Also re: Spammers -
All help is appreciated..
They are getting quite crafty as you're probably aware. They will reply to a thread and embed all manner of links in their replies (some actually look/feel legitimate) - It's to the point where we mods must quite literally look at all replies on all threads. I've taken to usually leaving the reply, but editing the spam links out of them..

Ron Earp

Admin
Later today I'll seek help on the questions a new perspective member must answer to join the forum. Naturally, GT40 specific.

Randy, what messages?

R

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Later today I'll seek help on the questions a new perspective member must answer to join the forum. Naturally, GT40 specific.

Randy, what messages?

R

Hi Ron -
Had to dig through my browser history but I found it..

GT40s.com > Edited-UserName
Conversation Between Edited-UserName and Big-Foot

Apparently we have an area within "Contacts and Friends" (maybe) that I was not aware of before.
The message was from another user to me that was sent on 10-26 and I was unaware of it until this AM when I had a notification up in the same panel where it says "upgrade membership" now..
No big deal - I just never knew it existed as I thought all messages were either PM or in Forums..

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Dear Members,<o:p></o:p>
The forum has undergone from fairly extensive software updates over the last couple of days. While there won’t be many things that are easily apparent to you, the underpinnings of the forum were a few versions old, a bit behind on patches and updates, and it was time to move to VB’s new 3.8x software line as 3.7x will no longer have new feature support.<o:p></o:p>

Subforums can be excluded from the “New Posts” listing. Right now the Paddock is excluded from the New Posts listing to see how that goes.

Ron, is there any chance that this sort of feature can be made member-definable? I really enjoy the postings on the Paddock and use the "New Posts" function each and every time I log on. If I had the chance to define which subforums could be excluded from the "New Posts" function, that would be very useful--there are quite a few subforums I almost never read.

Thanks for giving this some thought!

Doug

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Apparently we have an area within "Contacts and Friends" (maybe) that I was not aware of before.
The message was from another user to me that was sent on 10-26 and I was unaware of it until this AM when I had a notification up in the same panel where it says "upgrade membership" now..
No big deal - I just never knew it existed as I thought all messages were either PM or in Forums..

I figured it out... Apparently Visitor's to your Profile can send you a message that is attached to the Profile rather than in your PM box or in a forum...

Cool... I think... :huh:

Ron Earp

Admin
I figured it out... Apparently Visitor's to your Profile can send you a message that is attached to the Profile rather than in your PM box or in a forum...

Cool... I think... :huh:

That is correct. It has been around for a year or two, I never use it. Sort of like a white board you can write on when you stop by someone's dorm room.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron, is there any chance that this sort of feature can be made member-definable? I really enjoy the postings on the Paddock and use the "New Posts" function each and every time I log on. If I had the chance to define which subforums could be excluded from the "New Posts" function, that would be very useful--there are quite a few subforums I almost never read.

Thanks for giving this some thought!

Doug

That would require a lot of programming. Just to turn certain subforums off required add in code.

We might could put it to a membership vote on inclusion or not.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Curious...

Per Doug's Request -

How would the Forum Tools section work when you "Subscribe" to a forum and then check for New Posts?

Or

When subscribing to a forum - do you get an email that tells you when someone has posted to it?

Think I'll check it out...

Ron Earp

Admin
Looks like everything is running smoothly. Some of you might notice there is only a Photo Gallery now, the Garage is gone, and I'll spend some time organizing the Photo Gallery for better categorization and content.

The paddock is no longer indexed on the "New Posts" listing and that seems to be working out ok. If there are comments, good and bad, I'd be interested to hear them.

Looks like everything is running smoothly. Some of you might notice there is only a Photo Gallery now, the Garage is gone, and I'll spend some time organizing the Photo Gallery for better categorization and content.

The paddock is no longer indexed on the "New Posts" listing and that seems to be working out ok. If there are comments, good and bad, I'd be interested to hear them.

Photo gallery good!
paddock not indexed on new posts ...bad.. IMHO

Back