Anyone interested in a UK forum?

Sick and tired of the increasingly restrictive rules placed on trying to do things for the good of the community, It seems I'm bollocked for every little thing I do on this forum. I'm not 100% sure I'm not being personally persecuted for some past misdemeanour? I really don't know. Anyway any UK guys interested in a UK based forum where we can discuss UK based cars/problems/solutions?
The UK Cobra club exists as a completely separate entity to the USA Cobra club and discusses things that are UK relevant.
GT40s.com is a great source of info and help but nowadays MUCH more focussed on the USA and USA based mfrs.
Any thoughts?
Simon

Sick and tired of the increasingly restrictive rules placed on trying to do things for the good of the community, It seems I'm bollocked for every little thing I do on this forum. I'm not 100% sure I'm not being personally persecuted for some past misdemeanour? I really don't know. Anyway any UK guys interested in a UK based forum where we can discuss UK based cars/problems/solutions?
The UK Cobra club exists as a completely separate entity to the USA Cobra club and discusses things that are UK relevant.
GT40s.com is a great source of info and help but nowadays MUCH more focussed on the USA and USA based mfrs.
Any thoughts?
Simon

Any thoughts?
Simon

Nope, perfectly happy with GT40s.com thanks Simon as it deals with all my requirements and is a one-stop-resource for all things GT40 related together with a huge number of other subjects, most of which are interesting and the few that are not (to me) I ignore.

I'm a member of several forums and none have such a following or such a high level of useful input with a great signal to noise ratio too.

For the most part - it is free to visitors and as such, the rules are in place to keep things fair for those that contribute financially to the upkeep/development of the site.

Attempting to drum up support for a alternative UK 'only?' forum is somewhat a kick in the teeth for those that provide and contribute to this one in my opinion and in this instance, I can only hope that you do not succeed.

A well known phrase including the words 'Toys' and 'Pram' comes to mind...

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Simon,

Since you’ve indirectly indicated you don’t agree with my running of the forum I feel that it is my right to respond to your post.

The basic rules of the forum have not changed in quite a long time. You and I have long since disagreed on how cars should be advertised on this site. I created a rules structure similar to most forums that require the person who wants to sell a car to make a small contribution to the running costs of the forum. I also don’t allow users to circumnavigate that rule, for whatever reason they conjure up, and post a car for sale that someone else is wanting to sell or post it outside the “Cars For Sale” subforum. Again, I know you disagree with these concepts but you do choose to participate in this forum and by participating you agree that you’ll abide by the rules. When you don’t abide by the rules I will move or delete your posts.

In regards to the Ebay section of the site that I know you enjoyed - it was becoming too troublesome to keep people out of that section that wanted to circumnavigate the rules regarding vendors and posting of cars for sale on this site. So, I closed down the Ebay subforum.

I certainly feel this is an important matter but I’m not sure that there needs to be two posts about it in two different forums. I’ll consolidate the posts over in the “Comments” section of the forum since I think you’d probably agree that it is a “comment and suggestion” more than it is about the GTD or GT40 Enthusiasts car clubs.

Ron

Well I never, Ron moving or deleting one of my posts,now that's a first....NOT!
"Attempting to drum up support for a alternative UK 'only?' forum is somewhat a kick in the teeth for those that provide and contribute to this one in my opinion and in this instance, I can only hope that you do not succeed."
no attempt to start an "alternative" forum at all, merely a forum that caters to the needs of UK based GT40 enthusiasts.
Thanks for your support! why would you hope it does not succeed? surely anything that supports GT40 enthusiasts is to be applauded? do you use the USA version of Ebay as opposed to the UK version?
I also am a member of several forums also and have NEVER encountered such a strict forum administrator who seems to criticise or delete so many of my posts.
All I'm trying to do is help people out, I don't post for profit or reward, merely the good of the GT40 community. It seems I'm penalised for this.

Simon

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Well I never, Ron moving or deleting one of my posts,now that's a first....NOT!

It sure isn't a first but each time I always hope that it'll be the last. You're the only member on the forum who consistently performs the same action over and over again and expects a different result. Again, you're aware of the rules but you choose not to follow them.

I also am a member of several forums also and have NEVER encountered such a strict forum administrator who seems to criticise or delete so many of my posts.

I am an active member of probably ten to twelve forums, run one, and moderate on two. I have rarely come across a forum member who is so consistent in his disregard of the established rules of a forum.

Ron Earp

Admin
I guess I'm just not welcome then. anyone want to buy a car?

Oh the drama.

Simon, if you weren't welcome here you'd be banned already. As I wrote in a PM to you this morning you're certainly welcome to be a part of this community. Just follow the rules and actually try and get your posts into the correct subforum.

Oh the drama.

I'm quite serious, this has tainted the whole GT40 owning/building experience for me. With the constant struggle to find money and time to work on the car as well as the constant criticism of my posts (again, posts intended to HELP other enthusiasts and NOT to make me profit) it's made me realise I'm wasting my time and effort.
Simon
sorry, my previous post looks dangerously like advertising.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
How about sleeping on it overnight. I don't want to see you quitting Simon the same as I would say the same to anyone else feeling agrieved . Just take a deep breath - we can all live together without too much agravation - and I do appreciate both sides of this silly pissing contest. We all need some rules to live by and they are not all that onerous on this forum. Don't throw anything out - not for a while yet.

Don't go Simon. Hang in there. Ron if you want delete a post you can take Rahjai Girl's designer knockoff watch post off of my build posts.
Dave

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm quite serious, this has tainted the whole GT40 owning/building experience for me. With the constant struggle to find money and time to work on the car as well as the constant criticism of my posts

David your encouraging words are welcome.

Simon, building a GT40 isn't for the faint of heart and since you've owned two that I am aware of I'm sure you know that already. I'd hope you'd find the forum and the members a support group for your efforts. If you want to remove one of your self-professed burdens involved with building a GT40 then follow the forum rules and there will be no more administrative criticism of your posts.

Simon, I've enjoyed your GT-40 related posts over the past months and years - you have good insights and an interesting perspective. I hope you choose to remain an active member here.

Hi guys,

The written word, especially quickly written notes on forums like this can convey mixed emotions. One reader might see the humour in it and the next might feel its an attack. I've been on other forums that have had out and out bullying, threats of fights at the next kit car show etc. I firmly believe that no one goes out of their way to cause offence at the outset, but, when people misread the intended point then arguments and problems occur.

The only way around that is diligent tolerance by the community and try to accept that what you read is not neccessarily how it was intended to be taken by the writer. I like this forum in that the normal bitching and frankly bullying i have seen on other sites is not present, although i do get the feeling that might have come from an over restrictive moderating of the forum. Which is not neccessarily a bad thing.

Potential criticism for the forums rules is that because it so heavily relies on vendor sponsorship, that its perhaps a bit commercial and then people fall foul of rules about advertising etc, that would otherwise be in the interest of the community. Reading some posts where people are asking for information, there are a lot of PM replies, where normally you would expect the information/reply to be posted in the thread for everyones benefit. I wonder whether that's because people are concerned about breaching a rule. Originally it gave me the feeling that the community are very guarded about sharing information, which didn't seem very welcoming. Now i think i understand it better.

There are very specific issues for UK and European GT40 builders given the rules about getting them registered, so a UK/Europe forum is not neccessarily a bad thing and i can see it working well alongside this forum rather than against it.

D.

Ron Earp

Admin
Reading some posts where people are asking for information, there are a lot of PM replies, where normally you would expect the information/reply to be posted in the thread for everyones benefit. I wonder whether that's because people are concerned about breaching a rule. Originally it gave me the feeling that the community are very guarded about sharing information, which didn't seem very welcoming. Now i think i understand it better.

This is a good point and an issue I don't understand that well either. I see some replies on the forum "go check xyz, but I hope this isn't advertising". Of course it is not advertising, unless your an agent of xyz. Is the poster truly worried about breaching the forum rules or trying to make a statement about the forum moderation? I don't know.

I think I will have to write a thread about what is advertising on this forum. Making other members aware of a supplier is definitely not advertising, it is being helpful, UNLESS you happen to be the supplier. If people aren't going to share information then we might as well turn the forum off now. It exists for that sole purpose.

A site like this is bound to be USA-centric as the majority of real and replica GT40s and their owners are based in the USA. However, as a UK resident, I don't feel in any way excluded because of this and therefore do not see the need for a specifically UK site for GT40s. Also matters that are pertinent only to UK based GT40s like SVA/IVA are freely discussed on this site with no problems, which is as it should be.

I don't know what your dispute with Ron is about Simon but to me the rules do not inhibit my use of the site in any way. It would be a pity if you left as there is nowhere else for the GT40 community that has such a depth of technical knowledge and indeed social inclusion for all of us.

I look forward to meeting you Simon - are you going to Classic Le Mans next year?

Chris

simon......stay!!
i, for one, need people like you!!!
we all like big engined pointy cars. and rules and reg's can't change that!!!

Back