How To Do Corner?

Ron Earp

Admin
How many people that read this site know where the "How To Do Corner" is? Should we fold these topics back up into the regular technical topics and discontinue that subsection? Looking for feedback.

Thanks,
Ron

All we really need is for more people to actually POST here when doing specific things and link back to their build log...that's why there is so little traffic here.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Sorry to say I didn't know it existed.

Perhaps it just needed some advertising?

A great idea, I will contribute. (and learn)

I have quite often thought of doing some stuff, but to be brutally honest at the moment Im too busy to explain how.:)

All we really need is for more people to actually POST here when doing specific things and link back to their build log...that's why there is so little traffic here.

Ron

I think the How To Do Corner is a great idea, but I have to echo John's comment. That forum has really fallen into disuse; it seems as if everybody just posts in the main tech forums. I really wish people would make more use of the "how to" forum, but you can't make people do it. I think most people are posting "how to" stuff in their build logs, not even in the tech forums, which makes the info very hard to find (even with the site's search function).

Eric

Ron Earp

Admin
. I really wish people would make more use of the "how to" forum, but you can't make people do it. I think most people are posting "how to" stuff in their build logs, not even in the tech forums, which makes the info very hard to find (even with the site's search function).
Eric

You have stated the problem quite precisely. The "How To Do" section was the idea of two forum members. The idea was the two moderators would take submissions, clean them up, and put them into the "How To Do" subforums and the forum would grow a nice list of "How To Do" articles. The subforums are moderated and users can't post directly to them.

In practice the users solve problems in their build logs and don't submit them as How To Do articles. Also, I think the moderators have lost interest in the project as one of them hasn't logged in since August 2010.

Suggestions or ideas?

One idea I have is to fix the damn search engine as it is really rotten. I'll get on that today.

However, without further input the How To Sections will be folded into the regular subforums. The two principals involved in starting the How To section have been emailed.

Ron I for one have learned a lot from here but I DID'T KNOW that there was a HOW TO sub-forum. It is a great idea if members used it. Going through peoples build blogs are a PITA sometimes as you have to go through a lot of impertinent information just to find the answer that one was looking for. The problem is that unless the moderators actually take the time to go over ALL of the forum looking for these types of posts and than consolidate them than it will continue to be a ghost town. Unfortunately if you want change the moderators will have to be the ones to enforce it / make it happen. I will say that on all the other sites I frequent the HOW TO sections are always frequently viewed and updated but it took time for them to build a good base.

Hi Ron,
Yet another who was unaware of the 'How to Do Corner'.
On finding it, it provided a couple of hours of absorbing reading and helped to answer several How to Do Questions.
I echo everyone's comments on the need for more publicity on its existence and the need to encourage folk to submit items. Perhaps trolling GT40-related magazines for suitable articles? If you want a reprint of something from Fortyfication, I'd be very willing to provide it in a format that wouldn't need your to retype it.

Back