Garage Sale Rules-Require Prices or Not?

Should the Garage Sale subforum require users to include an asking price of the item?

• Total voters

Ron Earp

Admin
Title says it all. Votes are publicly shown so if you are not comfortable with that then DO NOT vote. I wish to see if the answers really do fall along country lines and have no other way to investigate that unless the poll option to show voters is turned on.

The subforum rules will be altered if the poll indicates that we should alter them. The poll will be active for seven days.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yes - Post Price

Or

State your Price and best offer.

This would be a perfect example in my opinion:

Item: ABC-Widget
Condition: New
Willing to ship: Yes - Internationally
Price: $500 or Best Offer
Funds: Personal Check, PayPal, Postal Money Order, Cash

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Agreed. Gripes me when someone is "fishing" with "reasonable offers" please.

Many times it is just a veiled mechanism to run an auction as several people's reasonable offers are pitched against each other as the seller simultaneously negotiates with each.

Ron Earp

Admin
Yes - Post Price

Or

I like that too.

HILLY

Supporter
Does the forum software have the capacity for standard forms so that all you have to do is fill in the details and that way all post will be uniform and have all of the necessary details.
There may also be an option of mandatory fields that have to be filled in (eg price) and the post will not be accepted if it is not filled in. ???

I don't care if a price is asked or not , although I might be less likely to reply .
You should really know what you want for something , because I'm libel to make an offer that will offend you , but make me happy if you accept !

Not posting a price is lazy sales tactics. And, the selling party is just hoping to bump into a stupider party than themselves, hoping that they'll make an overly generous offer.

"Accepting reasonable offers" means absolutely nothing, wastes people's time, and causes confusion amongst the priority of buyers.

I would be satisfied if the asking price was actually what it says "the asking price". Meaning- if the seller want an extra 20% VAT to the price he is asking, it would really not be a "garage sale" would it, or am I wrong? :stunned:

Yes - Post Price

Or

Randy,

That looks like a perfect compromise. Nice one:thumbsup:

Harden up ya bunch of Pansies.

Who gives a shit if an item has a price.

Just don't buy it if it does not have a price, no need to cry to Mummy.

Ron Earp

Admin
That is a pretty heavy majority for having prices on adverts. Simon didn't vote but even if I count Simon in the "No" camp that gives eight "No" votes. 75% of the no votes are from the UK/Australia, while the "Yes" votes are mainly from the US. I imagine the sample size and forum demographics makes it impossible to draw a general conclusion that geographical location determines the user's preference.

Back