Cad sharing forum

Hi all,
I am currently in the process of creating a 3d model of a car I'm building. Seems a shame to keep all that data to myself if someone else can use it as well, I have wasted many hours looking for 3d models that can be used designing but allways end up purchasing the parts then creating the cad parts myself.
I currently have quite a few that can be uploaded if there was an area to put them.

sven

You know, for quite some time now I've been thinking of starting a website just for this kind of thing. Every piece I need a dimension off of I try and make a very accurate CAD model. I agree with you - those of us in the DIY and kit car world could really use a shared community for this. My guess is that only roughly 50% of the people out there making this CAD data will actually give it up to others.

I'm going to look into some forum software to see what's out there that focuses on file sharing. Problem is, I don't have the $$ right now.

I've shared standard parts I've modelled with people that have asked for them, however I am reluctant to share original work due to it not proven yet and also liability issues worry, me.

On formats, STEP I am convinced is the best way to go, but I'm not sure if all CAD software can produce this format. Certainly what you would use to do surface modelling i.e. Blender etc won't, not sure about Autocad.

Also There's a lot of people out there using illegal software or academic versions, and with some software files saved from an academic version cannot be opened by other versions. I personally would not want to host data produced from illegal software either but how can you tell before you get a nasty letter from the lawyers?

Overall I think its a minefield, with plenty more people inclined to take rather than give in the process.

Accurate standard parts are what most duilders are looking for because they take so long to create, I just finished a model of a jag xj6 diff, took around 8 hours to complete.

I agree that step is the best, .igs is also a good its been around for a long time and most software can produce it.

Anybody worried about nasty letter from lawyers simply need to open the step or igs files with notepad and edit out any unwanted text.

Some people take, some people give, it all evens out in the end, its all about having fun.:shy:

sven

Back