YouTube & Embedded URLs

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Re: GT40s.com Summer Fund Drive

Bummer, I thought we had it! :)

Let me know if I can assist Mr Earp. I would be happy to.

Ron Earp

Admin

The plug in is up and working. I'm just an idiot with respect to usage.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8ujtQGccE]Earp VideoCopter V1.0 - YouTube[/ame]

DO NOT post the Youtube HTML embedding code. Just post the link to hte video. The plugin does the rest.

Ron

Keith

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jxq6rD37K4"]World War II action figures RC converted 1:6 Twin Mount 40MM Anti-Aircraft Gun - YouTube[/ame]

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Yes, that has actually always worked. It still does not allow for 16:9 aspect ratio that most HD videos are now shot in. Embedding used to work. Was there a config setting that was changed recently that disabled it? Thanks for working on this Ron.

Ron Earp

Admin

Yes, that has actually always worked. It still does not allow for 16:9 aspect ratio that most HD videos are now shot in. Embedding used to work. Was there a config setting that was changed recently that disabled it? Thanks for working on this Ron.

Actually, no, that didn't always work throughout the forum. It worked in certain forums where HTML was mistakenly allowed, but that is been corrected. So it'd work in some forums and not others. Now there is a plug in that handles converting links to BB code that is safe from malicious postings that some hackers try to perform with HTML links/code. As far as I'm concerned it is done and works well enough.

Thanks,
Ron

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

This is a rhetorical question but in the 10+ years you have ran the site, has that ever happened?

Ron Earp

Admin

This is a rhetorical question but in the 10+ years you have ran the site, has that ever happened?

Twice we've been hacked, but only on the second occasion did it have anything to do with the HTML allowance. Basically they were able to break all the links on the site by corrupting the database that is the forum and we had to roll the forum back a couple of days which cost us a bunch of posts.

The first time we were hacked was far more spectacular as our forum was replaced with a jihadist statement that indicated Americans were sheep and needed to be slaughtered. The writer went on to say he was only performing the attack to make a statement and no harm would come to the forum. I wish I'd saved a screenshot of that one as it was classic.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Gotta do what you gotta do I guess. I'm going to write a plugin for you that recognizes embedded YouTube/Vimeo links. They look so much better than that silly vBulletin plugin. That thing is ancient VGA crap.

Ron Earp

Admin

Thanks but I believe we're fine. It is fairly self explanatory for anyone wanting to watch the video that they can simply click the icon in the lower right hand side and watch it full screen or click the small gear and change the quality to HD if available.

Keith

Hmmm, the "ancient VGA crap" seems fine for me, so, I say, if it ain't broke etc...

Fix it until it is! :laugh:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to 2007... this site could be so much more than what it is

Back